What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
2. I think the shootout winning goal should count as a goal for the player that scored it.
That's a bit unfair for the other players that scored, though.
That development is much more important than drafting. Most 'busts' were bad development and most 'steals' were great development. The x-factor is drafting character guys who will listen to coaches. Talent is wildly overrated and that's why Pronman is such a bad scout.
I do not agree with this at all, as I truly think the draft is more of a crap shot than anything. Busts may have to do with bad development in a way, but steals are more often than not just the result of luck. Good scouting may help improve a team's luck, obviously, and proper development too.
The Presidents trophy is a better indication of the best team in hockey that season, not the Stanley Cup.
This is correct.

VoodooChile

Jul 23, 2009
Too many regular season games. I love watching hockey but 82 games before a long playoffs doesn’t result in the best product for fans on a consistent basis and more injuries. Quality over quantity. Think like 70 games in the regular season then keep playoffs as is

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The game today is the best product and will continue to improve. This is coming from a guy who played in the late 90s/2000s til today.

Reactions: sexydonut

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Even with hindsight, as a Jets fan I would still take Scheifele today over Kucherov, Gaudreau et al. primarily due to the fact that he's a center, but also because he's been a monster for us in the playoffs as well.

Reactions: Kimota

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I always post this and get bashed by Bruins fans, but.....

Tim Thomas was not an elite goalie, but rather and average goalie playing behind top defenseman in an elite defensive system who happened to have a hot streak when it counted. He was too aggressive, often out of position and forced to have to make ridiculous diving saves, and had inflated stats since the bruins really limited HDSC but allowed a lot of shots.

There was a reason he was a nobody until his 30s and then came back down to earth only to dissolve back into nobody territory

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
A play should only be “offside” if it is as a result of an offside PASS. Meaning that skating the puck into the zone “offside” would be come legal. The play blown dead would no longer be as a result of “being” offside but as a result of passing offside, or an “offside pass”.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Haven't read, well, any of the thread, but this is mine: There is no such thing as a "shot-pass."

It's either a shot that is deflected, or a pass wide of the goal intended for a redirection/stuff play/whatever.

This "shot-pass" garbage has to stop. At least Daryl Reugh attempted to give it a new name at one point: The Shass. While only marginally better than the original, it was, never the less, an improvement. Sadly, it didn't stick.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Wayne Gretzky should have been in 79 draft. Should not have been allowed to be protected.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The game today is the best product and will continue to improve. This is coming from a guy who played in the late 90s/2000s til today.
hockey was best in the 60's and 70's, by the late 90's and early 2000's is when the trap game was invented by the Devils and the games was slow and boring.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Based on that timeline, you missed the 80’s and early 90’s when it was the best product.... with the best hair.

323f41ae120c163d3a56ad4bb515b1f7--hockey-goalie-hockey-players.jpg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I always post this and get bashed by Bruins fans, but.....

Tim Thomas was not an elite goalie, but rather and average goalie playing behind top defenseman in an elite defensive system who happened to have a hot streak when it counted. He was too aggressive, often out of position and forced to have to make ridiculous diving saves, and had inflated stats since the bruins really limited HDSC but allowed a lot of shots.

There was a reason he was a nobody until his 30s and then came back down to earth only to dissolve back into nobody territory

Well I'm a Senators fan and I couldn't disagree more.

His statistics against Ottawa were simply ridiculous, and that started before Boston really came into their own.

I think he won 15-17 games or so in a row against the Senators. We finally beat him 1-0.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I like tough old school hockey much more than the new finesse/skill hockey.

I like to win. Tough hockey is old school hockey because it can win anymore. Except to say that if you can play tough hockey at today's speeds you still win. The trick is being able to do that.

Meanwhile the league has cut the fighting down to the fights that really need to happen. Which annoyes the crap out of the fighting fans because it exposes how few of the fights were legit. THAT is my controversial opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad