What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Controversial Opinions

- If my Leafs are out, I don’t care if a Canadian team wins the cup or not.

- Televised games are getting hard to watch. The mic’s on the ice picking up the CLACK of the composite sticks, the blades on the ice and the dimtwits banging on the glass.... ugh, like nails on a chalkboard.

- If you were offered Leaf tickets for cost for a game in Toronto, you should pass and see them on the road instead.

- Montreal has the best goal song going.

- Goal horns and Make Noise Now prompts are dumb

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Advanced stats are no more useful for projecting success for individual players than +/-. Both are only useful in comparing teammates and even then, usage makes interpreting the stats difficult.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I don't think that's very controversial. Outside of Leaf fans, I doubt many would have taken Toronto in that series. The Leafs couldn't beat the Kings, who didn't put up much of a fight against the Canadiens and the Leafs team was one-line and dog-tired. The would have limped into the Final after three straight seven game series and faced a well-rested and with the exception of Denis Savard fully healthy Canadiens team. They would have got steam-rolled.

Oh I agree, but growing up in Toronto every Leafs fan points to that as the year the cup was stolen from them. Entirely agree though, would have been an even easier showing for the Canadiens than the competition they actually got.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
The refs are just as bad as they have always been, there just is lot more crying about them now than before.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
No defense for Bill Peters, but there are some pretty horrible rap lyrics out there, any yet nobody will raise an eyebrow that Akim Aliu may have been playing some absolutely disgusting music.

The only way to solve this thing would be if they do a "clean" rap album together.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Connor McDavid isn’t a leader and doesn’t have the “it” factor. He just happens to be a guy who is great at hockey. He is not a leader like Crosby.

Reactions: shello

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The fact the NHL pretty much openly embraces one set of rules for the playoffs and another for the regular season is a bit of a joke. No other professional sport does this, at least as blatantly. It is not like you can rough the passer in the NFL in the playoffs or the strike zone changes significantly one way or the other.

Reactions: RattsSSV

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Playoff Hockey is not the same game, it is not played by the same rules, and it is not as good as actual hockey.

Reactions: Eisen

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I agree with this. Though five Orr's would lose to four Orr's and one Gretzky.

I counter with 4 Bobby Orrs and 1 Esa Tikkanen.

But Esa is three beers deep and he's got the mouth going like a vandalized graveyard.

Head's up, Wayner.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Jarome Iginla has a nice smile and seems to be a good guy off the ice...but he was not a good leader

gac3378

Nov 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
Sorry Boston but my controversial hockey opinion is that Bobby Orr's "flying goal" is not that impressive. He had already scored before he jumped through the air. I get the important nature of the goal and what it brought the franchise but other than that I've never been that impressed. Dont get me wrong, Orr is a top class player, without a doubt one of the best to ever play, I just don't get the excitement around this goal.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The fact the NHL pretty much openly embraces one set of rules for the playoffs and another for the regular season is a bit of a joke. No other professional sport does this, at least as blatantly. It is not like you can rough the passer in the NFL in the playoffs or the strike zone changes significantly one way or the other.
Basketball does this , I prefer how the game is callled in the NHL in the playoffs but the refs have been bad in the loffs aswell so it's a lose lose situation

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Basketball does this , I prefer how the game is callled in the NHL in the playoffs but the refs have been bad in the loffs aswell so it's a lose lose situation
Basketball does it to a lesser extent, by calling a couple less fouls, but pace of play generally also slows down leading to more half-court sets. In the NHL pace picks up but less things are called.

I mean, its fine to prefer how its called in the playoffs, I'm not against it, but then call the 82 regular season games the same way. To have such a dramatic difference between the two is pretty ridiculous (and yes, I get the argument players can play 82 games called like that, but its still ridiculous).

Reactions: RattsSSV

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
The eye test is much better than any advanced statistic. I have nothing against statistics, but the problem is, unlike baseball, the physics of hockey is much too complex to simplify using even "advanced" statistical models that are not capable of including all of the essential variables necessary to accurately compare players, and the eye test tells you everything you really need to know about players, so my advice is to put away the stat sheet, and just watch the game.
The eye test is heavily biased on preconceived notions, confirmation bias, plays that are close to the action, and memorable plays, even for the most seasoned scouts. They're best to be used in tandem.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry Boston but my controversial hockey opinion is that Bobby Orr's "flying goal" is not that impressive. He had already scored before he jumped through the air. I get the important nature of the goal and what it brought the franchise but other than that I've never been that impressed. Dont get me wrong, Orr is a top class player, without a doubt one of the best to ever play, I just don't get the excitement around this goal.

You don't get the excitement around a goal that won the Stanley Cup?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Basketball does it to a lesser extent, by calling a couple less fouls, but pace of play generally also slows down leading to more half-court sets. In the NHL pace picks up but less things are called.

I mean, its fine to prefer how its called in the playoffs, I'm not against it, but then call the 82 regular season games the same way. To have such a dramatic difference between the two is pretty ridiculous (and yes, I get the argument players can play 82 games called like that, but its still ridiculous).

I don't think the difference is nearly as large as you seem to be suggesting.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think the difference is nearly as large as you seem to be suggesting.
There's still a difference in how RS is called compared to the playoffs which make no sense because it is not like the rulebook changes. Either call the regular season like the playoffs or call the playoffs like the regular season. The whole mantra of "they need to put the whistles away" and call the game in a different fashion is a bit of a joke.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
There should be no more than two American teams for every one Canadian team. For example: if there are seven Canadian teams, there can be no more than fourteen American teams. If the NHL wants to expand in the US, more Canadian teams must be added. If the Canadian teams don’t generate enough revenue to stay afloat, the American teams must “make up the difference” in equal shares.

This ratio will be attained initially through contraction, relocation, and a dispersal draft.

Reactions: Kimota

General Joseph

Dec 25, 2017
Florida Panhandle
As a former goalie i guess my most controversial opinion is that net minders should stop this silliness of going down on their knees on BAD angle shots ! Sick and tired of seeing goalies being sniped short side high on rediculous angle shots . Drives me absolutely crazy that these goalie coaches teach this BS to young goalies .

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
My most (probably only) controversial opinion is that if points were devised as a metric today, it would be absolutely torn apart. Giving equal credit for a goal to the last three players who happen to touch the puck, regardless of what they do with it and where? All of us, regardless of age, has grown up taking points for granted as an evaluation tool. Even as the tool. However, if you think about it, it doesn't really seem like something that would effectively attribute credit for goals, let alone contribution to offense overall, not to speak of as a proxy for overall ability (which, quite honestly, is what we mostly do.)

It's one of those things that has always been that way, so we don't ever question it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad