What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jun 27, 2005
Technology has ruined hockey just like golf and tennis. Go back to wooden sticks which will shrink the goalies and plastic shoulder pads and everything will be fixed.

Reactions: Eisen

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don’t have the stats to prove it because for some ungodly reason they’re not easily available...but the way the league handles Empty Net Goals is dumb.

They are inflating goal totals and are almost always “reward” points for a player. Coaches pull their goalies with WAY too much time left in the game. Dallas pulled Khudobin last night with 3+ minutes left for example and that’s not an aberration around the NHL either.

It would probably be too confusing but I think scoresheets should reflect empty net goals better. Last night the Hawks beat the Stars 3-0 with one ENG. IMHO the score should be readying Hawks: 2(+1) Dallas 0 and Connor Murphy (as much as I like him) probably shouldn’t have gotten credit for the goal.

It should be a stat that is only reflected in parentheses on the score sheet.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The eye test is much better than any advanced statistic. I have nothing against statistics, but the problem is, unlike baseball, the physics of hockey is much too complex to simplify using even "advanced" statistical models that are not capable of including all of the essential variables necessary to accurately compare players, and the eye test tells you everything you really need to know about players, so my advice is to put away the stat sheet, and just watch the game.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I love +/-. It's a tangible scoreboard-based statistic. Other people hating it makes me like it more.

Points are stupid (individual player scoring), because it's arbitrary and completely ignores the goals you allowed.

Goalie is the most important position in the game, AINEC. It's like the QB of hockey. Skaters are just pawns playing a small part in a duel between two goalies each night.

I sometimes root for injuries to players I don't like. I generally enjoy blood and big collisions. Gladiators, entertain me! You get paid so well you've gotta risk your body.

Reactions: IDJOTBOY

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
All penalties should be served for the full 2-5 minutes regardless of PP goals scored.
The PK team should not be able to ice the puck.
Offsides should be changed so if player is offside when his team enters the zone, play continues unless that player touches the puck without first touching up in the neutral zone.
Oh and fighting and any hit to the head should result in an automatic game misconduct and 1 game suspension.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I’d rather have a team of six good to great defenseman under a great team structure than a team of superstar defenseman under a crappy team structure.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Controversial opinion: These threads are always a nightmare because 90% of the "controversial" opinions are just people trying to troll.

McSendy

Nov 29, 2017
Why do you assume he was listening to "rap music?"

Also, why should anyone raise an eyebrow over the lyrics to music being played in a locker room?

What point are you trying to make here?

I'm glad my opinion was controversial :) I think the answers to your questions are obvious so I'm not going to waste time trying to explain it to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad