What's the deal with tomorrow's start in Seattle?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Let's be more like baseball, great idea.

I mean, those day games are objectively really fun events that millions of people look forward to, so if you can establish a similar tradition by making the start of your season an all-day event, it probably raises a little additional excitement. A beer in the stands tastes better when you're supposed to be at work that day. If the NHL want to commit to trying to build something like that, why not?

f*** work. Sports are supposed to be an escape from all that shit anyway. What better way to escape than to take the day off and buy a ticket or slouch on the couch with a can and a snack. It's glorious. It's fun. It's not like the average ticket buyer for a pro sporting event is a farmer who can't leave the fields for a day lest their crops wither. And it's not like the schedules are announced the week before. Their market is primarily people who sit in front of desks and send emails. Those people aren't pressed to skip business for a day with substantial forewarning.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NHL on twitter: Are you excited to see Michkov?

Also NHL: you will start you career somewhere on the northwest, don't forget your jacket kid.
View attachment 913216
The Flyers have been either been starting with road trips, or had one within the first week fairly consistently for a number of years now. It was going on prior to renovations, too.

This is what they want. This stuff is never the league arbitrarily deciding to send their teams on long road trips to start the year.

The Flyers know the score. They don’t want to fight for attention with the Phillies in the playoffs. And playing the Mets in the NLDS would have made it worse. They made a bet and they’re right.

Reactions: Alex K

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
What is the deal with Seattle's start time?

1728400902457.png

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I mean, those day games are objectively really fun events that millions of people look forward to, so if you can establish a similar tradition by making the start of your season an all-day event, it probably raises a little additional excitement. A beer in the stands tastes better when you're supposed to be at work that day. If the NHL want to commit to trying to build something like that, why not?

f*** work. Sports are supposed to be an escape from all that shit anyway. What better way to escape than to take the day off and buy a ticket or slouch on the couch with a can and a snack. It's glorious. It's fun. It's not like the average ticket buyer for a pro sporting event is a farmer who can't leave the fields for a day lest their crops wither. And it's not like the schedules are announced the week before. Their market is primarily people who sit in front of desks and send emails. Those people aren't pressed to skip business for a day with substantial forewarning.

I agree, screw schoolchildren and the working class.

Hey, I'm not complaining. I live in Europe so I'm just happy I can watch it live ava be asleep relatively early.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
By the way, they don't do this either unless the team hosting the game wants to do it.

During Covid, NBC was doing hockey happy hour, and it was a hit. Of course, it was Covid, but the NHL should be finding ways to expose their product. Starting a game at 4:30, you got kids who just got home from school, maybe looking for something to watch. Soccer seems to draw an audience, even if it's not maxed out, during weekday afternoons. This is a smart strategy that they should try more often.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Hey, I'm not complaining. I live in Europe so I'm just happy I can watch it live ava be asleep relatively early.

My guy, it's a single hockey game in the middle of one weekday. MLB teams play them literally all the time—as often as once a week ("getaway games" at the end of each series, so the road team doesn't have to fly to the next city late at night). The Chicago Cubs, a 100+ year old franchise with one of the most enduring brands in all of North American sports, exclusively played day games for decades on end because their field didn't even have lights. Even after those were installed 35 years ago, they continued to schedule a high percentage of day games out of tradition.

"Screw the working class" as if we're not talking about a spectator sports event with $100 tickets and $14 beers. Schoolchildren? They don't have any money, so leagues aren't prioritizing them. And what about late games in different time zones? Can't stay up for those! When I was little and the Flyers played 10:30 games on the west coast, my dad would just tape the game on the VCR so I could watch it after school the next day. That was fun, too! A little treat—just had to avoid the box scores the next morning.

And for those west coast fans, their teams play in the afternoon when they're visitng teams out here in the east. Miss the first two periods because they're AT WORK! Time zones hate children and the working class!

My god, man. It's sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Czech

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
By the way, they don't do this either unless the team hosting the game wants to do it.

During Covid, NBC was doing hockey happy hour, and it was a hit. Of course, it was Covid, but the NHL should be finding ways to expose their product. Starting a game at 4:30, you got kids who just got home from school, maybe looking for something to watch. Soccer seems to draw an audience, even if it's not maxed out, during weekday afternoons. This is a smart strategy that they should try more often.
I just can't imagine Seattle was just jumping up and down to have their home opener at 1:30pm local time on a Tuesday. But, hey, maybe they were. I'm sure their fans are thrilled.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
My guy, it's a single hockey game in the middle of one weekday. MLB teams play them literally all the time—as often as once a week ("getaway games" at the end of each series, so the road team doesn't have to fly to the next city late at night). The Chicago Cubs, a 100+ year old franchise with one of the most enduring brands in all of North American sports, exclusively played day games for decades on end because their field didn't even have lights. Even after those were installed 35 years ago, they continued to schedule a high percentage of day games out of tradition.

"Screw the working class" as if we're not talking about a spectator sports event with $100 tickets and $14 beers. Schoolchildren? They don't have any money, so leagues aren't prioritizing them. And what about late games in different time zones? Can't stay up for those! When I was little and the Flyers played 10:30 games on the west coast, my dad would just tape the game on the VCR so I could watch it after school the next day. That was fun, too! A little treat—just had to avoid the box scores the next morning.

And for those west coast fans, their teams play in the afternoon when they're visitng teams out here in the east. Miss the first two periods because they're AT WORK! Time zones hate children and the working class!

My god, man. It's sports.

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but you explained your points well. Nicely done.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Ehh, other sports do it. Locally, the Red Sox home opener is usually an early afternoon start time. If baseball can do it, so can you :razz:
Ticket prices are down to $5-$44. I could buy tickets right now for $5, $12, $15 and $44. Boston is not Seattle. This was a good decision for ESPN only.

Seattle requested to have the first game of the season (I believe Ferraro said this) and it wouldn't make sense to have them on at the same time as an eastern game.

They at least could've maybe picked Vancouver to be the road team.
If that's the case I bet they regret that now with current ticket prices ranging from $5 to $44 for todays game on Game Time. They have to be losing an incredible amount of money and screwed their fans over at the same time. Every Kraken fan I know out here is not happy they have to miss their club's first home opener.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Let's crawl out from behind the curtain for a second
It's a business. They want to make money but the broadcasters also call the shots and want a day of hockey.

1728409784151.png

It's one time a year, everyone has DVRs and a lot of people can stream from their desks.

Also remember that we hockey fans do this for every u18 tourney

Reactions: Sniper99

kingsholygrail

0-0-0 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Let's crawl out from behind the curtain for a second
It's a business. They want to make money but the broadcasters also call the shots and want a day of hockey.

View attachment 913518
It's one time a year, everyone has DVRs and a lot of people can stream from their desks.

Also remember that we hockey fans do this for every u18 tourney
The best part about this is it's always that they want to spread it out for the games, but they will all run into each other because if there are any penalties called or additional stoppages, the games are 3 hours long.

Reactions: Lt Dan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just can't imagine Seattle was just jumping up and down to have their home opener at 1:30pm local time on a Tuesday. But, hey, maybe they were. I'm sure their fans are thrilled.
I don't know to what degree 'jumping up and down' is, but if it's something that the NHL was begging for someone to volunteer to do, they would've given Seattle a more attractive opponent. This should've been a spot they put the Flyers or maybe Avalanche

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I don't know to what degree 'jumping up and down' is, but if it's something that the NHL was begging for someone to volunteer to do, they would've given Seattle a more attractive opponent. This should've been a spot they put the Flyers or maybe Avalanche

Neither of those teams are attractive. They already picked the most beautiful opponent for Seattle thank you very much.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Ticket prices are down to $5-$44. I could buy tickets right now for $5, $12, $15 and $44. Boston is not Seattle. This was a good decision for ESPN only.
Sounds like a good excuse to "go home sick" from work and enjoy a cheap hockey game to me. Skipping school, calling out sick to work...just like a Red Sox home opener

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad