What's one thing that would make you completely quit your team and never come back?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One of my first memories of my team was trading Gretzky. I survived the decade of darkness, "tier 2 fans", two game 7 losses in the Cup final, decades worth of terrible management and brutal decision making, and I'm still here.

I was young myself and switched from the Oilers at that time. I think a lot of people did. I ate Pro-Stars cereal and had the little "99" sneakers, so I was on the bandwagon like a lot of kids. My uncle (from Winnipeg) was a huge Gretzky fan and followed him to the Kings.

The honest and real reason is that my older brother did (to Calgary (!!?!)) so I didn't want to be left out.

I was a Rangers fan until the 2000s when I ended up just more of a fan of the Senators (it was harder to follow out-of-market teams back then, you'd get a handful of games on TV a year as opposed to every game in your hometown).

Unless the team moves I can't really see myself switching away from the hometown team. There's something special about the team in your own city IMO.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Probably if Katz kidnapped my kids and then while they were captive for 10 years he'd send me videos of oiler players beating them while making them chant "Let's go Oilers." Then once a week I'd get an Oilers gift box but inside the box would be a picture of Mcdavid giving me the finger.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Likely nothing. My only condition after the Subban trade was Bergevein being fired. I've stuck with my Sharks through thick and thin. Been a Sharks fan since I was a toddler. Habs I adopted over 10 years ago now.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I'm only getting older and busier, so it's getting harder and harder to invest. This will probably be the last Canucks core I truly care about, unless there's a deep run in the distant future. So I guess my answer is "the ravages of time"

Reactions: I am toxic

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The Chicago situation happening in Toronto would be really hard to come back from in my books. I'd be a fan of the team still but it would take on less of a role in my life.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I know several die hard fans of a team who gave up on them after the organization made political statements that they didn't have to.

So that's an instance where I've seen it happen and fully understood why.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
I have 2 teams, Habs and Roughriders, been my teams for over 50 years and will be until I'm gone. Anyone who changes teams is not a real fan.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
If I was a Hawks fan, I woulda bailed over all the sexual abuse stuff.
Then the owner? in that interview yelling at people asking about it to stop talking about it.

Bad takes all around for that one.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I was indoctrinated into Leafs fandom by family when I first got into the game. The Leafs media is what made me quit on them.

Nearly a couple decades later, and if Murray Edwards keeps meddling in the Flames' affairs and keeps them perpetually mediocre, I may move on from them.

Last few years, I've been watching fewer and fewer regular season games. I might just stick to the playoffs only as a neutral observer if it gets bad enough.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can get fed up for all kinds of reasons, but usually it's more about apathy than anything else. I am considerably less interested in my team, the Wild, than i used to be, because they don't seem to be going anywhere. Kaprizov has kept me watching games, but other than that.... I'm just tired of them. The old North Stars were much more appealing.

I was indoctrinated into Leafs fandom by family when I first got into the game. The Leafs media is what made me quit on them.

Nearly a couple decades later, and if Murray Edwards keeps meddling in the Flames' affairs and keeps them perpetually mediocre, I may move on from them.

Last few years, I've been watching fewer and fewer regular season games. I might just stick to the playoffs only as a neutral observer if it gets bad enough.
Man, you wouldn't have lasted a week under the old Ballard Leafs.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I was thinking the same thing.

Although I don't think it's a case of "stop being a Pens fan" and more a case of "I'm going to take a year off watching hockey entirely" if they don't fire Sullivan.
Yeah for the Penguins - currently with Sullivan, I've started to watch less Pens games the last 3 seasons. Not engaged as much about the team as a fan is weird but Sullivan and his FSG bs is ruining the team.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The only team I ever stopped watching were the Marlins.
Not cause the team stopped winning, but it was clear at the time ownership saw the team and city as a way to print money for himself.
Good prospect? Trade him before paying. Rinse repeat.

When the scumbag sold the team, we got another cheap ass ownership.
I was hoping the Marlins could of gotten a Viola type owner, but not meant to be.

For the Panthers, it would be Vinny selling the team to another Cohen/Loria and they also bring back a clown like Yorkmark.
Players come and go, but ownership can be around for decades.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Only thing that could possibly do that would be for the team to relocate, rebrand, and lose our entire core roster to free agency signings.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
When/if McDavid gives up hope on Oilers without getting his cup. Another dark decade and Chiarelli level management would break my heart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad