Value of: What Would Your Team Offer Matthews Contract Wise?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
If Tavares was offered 13 million by San Jose (supposedly), just imagine what this guy would be offered.

On a side note, Tavares at 13 million is basically double of what he should be paid. I'm a Tavares hater if you couldn't tell.

• Haha
Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
7x$16M bid from Nashville.

Assuming the Cap in the next 3 years after this one is going to go $90M-then $95M-then $100M, I think the top superstar UFAs should start seeking that kind of number. Same goes for Draisatl. McDavid should approach $20M on his next one.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Ottawa wouldn't make an offer because he's guaranteed to get more elsewhere.
For the fun of it... I'll say 9.000 and his agent hangs up.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Canes probably pass as the expected number doesn't fit their cap rubric. I mean if he's willing to take $6M AAV and all the great weather he can handle, I'm sure we can win some hardware together. But...it would be inhospitable to presume his intentions in that way.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
7x$16M bid from Nashville.

Assuming the Cap in the next 3 years after this one is going to go $90M-then $95M-then $100M, I think the top superstar UFAs should start seeking that kind of number. Same goes for Draisatl. McDavid should approach $20M on his next one.
Crazy as it probably sounds to some people I think Trotz would do it in a heartbeat. It's the one type of player he has publicly stated he is after, even told his staff and scouts to figure out ways to get one. I don't think it's far fetched to think he would blow the roof off with an offer.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

razor ray

May 8, 2011
I’m guessing 4 x 14.75. Maybe in a no income tax state like Fla Tens TX NV or WA I would say 4 x14.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not sure about my team, but SJ offered Tavares 13. I think someone would offer him in the the ballpark of 15~

I ultimately think he stays for 8 x 14ish in Toronto though.

Would honestly be good for league parity if he does get that soet of deal and reset the market IMO. #1C is arguably as important to cup winning teams than starting QBs are to super bowl winners in the NFL. In fact I can name you as many (if not more) super bowl winning teams with starting QBs who weren't top 10 at their position at the time as I can NHL cup winners without a top 10 1C in the cap era.

If the most elite 1Cs start commanding more of the cap (as their impact on a team's chances of winning a cup with them says that they should), the league might have a bit more balance and more teams will be true cup contenders. Would also make losing draft lotteries a little bit less devastating to teams who need lottery picks to progress through a rebuild as things are now.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks have no cap space and need to re-sign EP.
Would love to have him though on a 5 year times $12 million type of deal. But some other team will pay a lot more.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't be comfortable/interested over $13 million.

That being said, the length of the contract, and possibly the offer in general, would be contingent on really meticulous work with his medical files because there was absolutely something up with him throughout this past season.

It's a testament to his talent that he scored 40-goals despite the fact that his signature move back in his 60-goal season, where he cuts across a defender and then with an almost invisible release has this whip-snap movement to come out of a screen with a well aimed wrister; was essentially gone this year.

I don't know what the reason is for that suddenly being gone, but for some reason, and I can only assume it's medical, he wasn't able to do that anymore.

Logic would suggest it was a wrist ailment, but he played all season (and still scored 40 goals) and I don't see why they would make him play through a wrist injury, or how he could score 40-goals with a wrist injury. I really don't know what the issue is, but there's a reason why he stopped doing it, and it was way too effective a move for him to get rid of it for any strategic reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad