Value of: What Would Your Team Offer Matthews Contract Wise?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
ARZ proposes a rule to increase the max AAV and they offer him 8x20M a year just to stay above the floor and golf with Keller

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Probably nothing because having Thompson + Cozens down the middle for ~$14m combined is better than having Matthews alone for a similar price. That said, I suspect he'd pull offers in the range of $12-13m.
We get it, your GM is amazing and your team is on the rise. ;)

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Already have Pasta, so Matthews is kind of redundant and wouldn’t fit. I wouldn’t pay him over 12 million.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Honestly, nothing (Ducks). He doesn't really fit the rebuild timeline (at least a couple of years would be wasted/get worse draft picks because they won't be bottom feeders any more but not good enough yet to make the playoffs) and his salary demands would mess with the upcoming big contracts that will need signed soon ("I'm doing almost as well as him, why are you 'only' offering half of what he gets...?"). Very good player, but not the right fit at this point in time.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
There is no need for other teams to even consider him because he's a leaf his whole career. It would be cool to watch the narrative change on him instantly however we'll just keep him and know he's in the top tier above the backpack..

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
$11 Mil
A south bay residence.
A tesla
Surfboards
Volley balls
spare size 4 bikinis for guests who want to hit the hot tub

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I would offer Matthews the same contract as his current one. Not a dollar more. He hasn't earned it to date with the Leafs making past the 1st round only once since his tenure.

Reactions: hullsy47

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Pay him the max and figure the rest out later. Rebuild shmebuild if he's coming to Philly I'm making the offer

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can't imagine how a team aside from Toronto signs him and doesn't ruin their team structure with that salary. It would have to be a team with little in the way of high end talent in the system and no more big contracts in the near future. Other option would be a team with a high price contract they could move for futures/ cost controlled assets and sign AM.

As a Ducks fan, I don't think I'd offer him a contract. I'm not sure they could fit him, Z, Terry, McTavish, Fantilli/Carlsson, Drysdale, Minty, Zell, etc. If they do spend money, it should be on D not forward.

• Haha
Reactions: Zur En Arrh

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He's shown he's not interested in anything other than money. And if you pay him anything over $10m AAV you're not winning a cup anytime soon

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
14 x 8

I like Matthews though. I think he'd do well elsewhere. I also think a rising cap means these hot takes of 12.7 or 13 are short-sighted. The whole 5 year thing isn't terrible but I'm not sure about it yet. It's long enough to build around but also short enough where you might miss out on big value down the road.

• Haha
Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
I’m a Habs fan.

I would offer 7x$15M. This would include a condition that the team makes it to the second round of the playoffs. If the team does not Matthews receives half ($7.5M).

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
He's shown he's not interested in anything other than money. And if you pay him anything over $10m AAV you're not winning a cup anytime soon
Basically this. He is not a guy I hitch the wagon to for making the most on my team. He is also injury prone. I don't even know if I want him for 8 years. He is also a no show in the playoffs.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I wouldn't be comfortable/interested over $13 million.

That being said, the length of the contract, and possibly the offer in general, would be contingent on really meticulous work with his medical files because there was absolutely something up with him throughout this past season.

It's a testament to his talent that he scored 40-goals despite the fact that his signature move back in his 60-goal season, where he cuts across a defender and then with an almost invisible release has this whip-snap movement to come out of a screen with a well aimed wrister; was essentially gone this year.

I don't know what the reason is for that suddenly being gone, but for some reason, and I can only assume it's medical, he wasn't able to do that anymore.

Logic would suggest it was a wrist ailment, but he played all season (and still scored 40 goals) and I don't see why they would make him play through a wrist injury, or how he could score 40-goals with a wrist injury. I really don't know what the issue is, but there's a reason why he stopped doing it, and it was way too effective a move for him to get rid of it for any strategic reasons.
You just wrote out the reason this Leaf fan is fine with a potential Karlsson like trade this offseason. 13+ million Hart/ franchise level, Matthews is one thing, but if he's "just" a 40 goal 1c, thats a hard contract to win with

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It seems like the consensus is 7 x $12-14M, but only about 5 teams will have the space to pull that off and it’s unlikely that most of those will be one of his preferred destinations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad