What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Fire Shanahan.
Fire Keefe, and the entire coaching staff.
Hire Gerard Galant, let him pick his staff.
Trade Marner, and maybe even Nylander.
Find a goalie, target Saros or Askarov.
Re-sign Domi, maybe Bertuzzi.
Let Samsonov and Brodie walk.

Put every player on the trade block not named Matthews or Rielly.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Do you think Minten is a career AHLer because he didn't look out of place in the NHL at 19 or for another reason?

I think it's weird to write off a kid who got NHL games at 19.
His D+2 pro season in the WHL was horrific all around statistically.

Very few players become NHLers after that sort of production.

His 4 games in the NHL were also not really a factor into his future

He needs to have a big AHL year to show he has a shot of being a top 9 player down the line

He might end being an NHLer but right now he looks more like freddy gauthier type prospect than a legot guy qho we can count on

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
His D+2 pro season in the WHL was horrific all around statistically.

Very few players become NHLers after that sort of production.

His 4 games in the NHL were also not really a factor into his future

He needs to have a big AHL year to show he has a shot of being a top 9 player down the line

He might end being an NHLer but right now he looks more like freddy gauthier type prospect than a legot guy qho we can count on
I think if Minten ever becomes something impactful it will be long after Toronto's current window has closed (i.e., the next 4 years).

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Well, that Round 1 exit sucked, to put it mildly.

Here's my wish list:

1. I'm not as down on Keefe as many are, but it's time for a coaching change regardless of his performance.
2. Marner isn't some glaring liability by any stretch, but if we have the opportunity to move him for a fair price, I'd do it at this point.
3. Matthews is fine in the playoffs, he's not the problem.
4. I'm fine with keeping Tavares through until the end of his contract, though I know that's maybe an unpopular opinion. Certainly don't want to resign him unless his price goes waaaaaaaay down, but I don't think a buyout is warranted.
5. Keep Domi, move on from Bertuzzi.
6. Woll is the #1, that's pretty obvious, let Sammy walk.
7. Resign Knies/Dewar/Gregor when their RFA time comes.
8. I don't know if there's a way to get value from Liljgren's contract, a sign and trade or whatever, but would like to see him gone. I had high hopes from him but seems like he's just not figuring it out in Toronto for whatever the reason is.
9. Cya Brodie.
Perfect bravo.

Three things . Woll needs a quality partner. Sammy can give you some games. Going to need someone else.

Sign Bert at the right price sure. May be too expensive?

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Marner for Karlsson
- Toronto needs a #1 puck moving powerplay weapon, and have needed a right handed puck mover since time immemorial; Pittsburgh experiment with two top RH d didn't work and their powerplay is equally as woeful, Dubas is familiar with Marner and has the chance to get a young superstar locked up to succeed Crosby et al. Karlsson might come with incentive or even a small retention.

Knies/Matthews/Domi (5m)
- Domi wants to be here, hopefully 5m as an estimate is on the higher side. Can switch to C if Tavares or Minten don't work out. Knies is going to take a monster step.

McMann/Tavares/Nylander
- Self explanatory. Robertson and Cowan also options here. Could swap Domi/Knies with Nylander and just run a de-facto top line and let Tavares cook on the cycle.

Cowan/Minten/Jarnkrok
- Kid line. Energy. Grebyonkin, Steeves, Holmberg, Robertson all in the mix. Let them learn and fail for the entire season and upgrade this spot at the deadline (forwards are cheaper than dman to trade for)

Dewar/Kampf/Holmberg
- Self explanatory. Holmberg could move up, Reaves plays here. Either way the Dewar/Kampf combo was a clear winner and worked with anyone.

Reaves,Robertson
- Extra skaters, tho Robertson can easily push for L2 or L3. Injuries happen.

McCabe/Karlsson
- Karlsson could be exactly what this team needs, push down Rielly to secondary competition, strap to McCabe who is no slouch. Move puck from the right side with a right shot. Threat from the point on the powerplay. Ticks so many boxes IF he isn't cooked.

Rielly/Tanev (4.5m)
- Obvious synergy with team Canada, perfect choice for Rielly to free wheel. BUT Toronto has injury demons with dmen in the playoffs, could be another Muzzin when they need him most. Maybe Roy is the better fit. Maybe get them both and get tough as hell.

Benoit/Liljegren
- Likely terrible, but should have a bit of cap space to sign additional players like Zadorov,Demelo,etc. Just trying to not be too ambitious. Liljegren might be done here, could be part of a Karlsson deal or shipped to make room for a UFA.

Webber/Timmins
- Timmins still has potential, right shot puck mover. Could replace Liljegren. Webber first call up.

Woll/???/Murray?
- IDK, healthy Woll could be the best tender in the league, keyword healthy. I don't know how a team with Woll/Hildeby/Aktyamov navigates a pricey goalie market.. Hold and pray, sign a 1 year journeyman to tandem, give Hildeby some games if there are injuries, pray some more.

Oh, and fire Keefe. This team needs to either be an exciting high powered offense or a strict no nonsense defensive stalwart, right now they are neither, and seem to be stuck in some limbo of being neither in the playoffs.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If they just raise prices at the concessions, that should lead to a successful offseason. This group hasn’t been given enough chances yet, once the core 4 is back in diapers they will finally break through

• Haha
Reactions: 123offtheglass

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Fire Shanahan & Keefe, hire a new president then coach & let him pick his guys on the bench.

Queenville, Berube, Sullivan, or Gallant.

Personally I'd love John Tortorella if he were available, he'd make or break Marner. Willy & Matthews are locked up so they're not going anywhere. I think they're going to be stuck with Marner going into his contract year because of his NMC, so it should be a side mission to push him & see what they can squeeze out of him.

Strip the C from Tavares & roll out 6 assistant captains: Tavares, Rielly, Matthews, McCabe, Nylander, & Marner.

Bring back Domi for sure, & hopefully some of Bertuzzi, Edmundson, Lyubushkin & go from there with free agency.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Fire Shanahan & Keefe, hire a new president then coach & let him pick his guys on the bench.

Queenville, Berube, Sullivan, or Gallant.

Personally I'd love John Tortorella if he were available, he'd make or break Marner. Willy & Matthews are locked up so they're not going anywhere. I think they're going to be stuck with Marner going into his contract year because of his NMC, so it should be a side mission to push him & see what they can squeeze out of him.

Strip the C from Tavares & roll out 6 assistant captains: Tavares, Rielly, Matthews, McCabe, Nylander, & Marner.

Bring back Domi for sure, & hopefully some of Bertuzzi, Edmundson, Lyubushkin & go from there with free agency.

To me, you have to get a goalie first then see how much money you have for everything else.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Marner for Karlsson
- Toronto needs a #1 puck moving powerplay weapon, and have needed a right handed puck mover since time immemorial; Pittsburgh experiment with two top RH d didn't work and their powerplay is equally as woeful, Dubas is familiar with Marner and has the chance to get a young superstar locked up to succeed Crosby et al. Karlsson might come with incentive or even a small retention.
you must be related to Dubas , lol

this has to be one of the top 3 worst deals from the Leafs end that i've seen on this forum and that's saying something

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
What would I do? Lean into next year being a "re-tool", or a mini-rebuild.

1. Resign Max Domi for $4m. My guess it's 3 years, but can also see Domi pushing for a long term contract in the 5-6 range. Ultimately i think it would be the same $4m or so.

2. Trade Marner. Not sure where, not sure for who, there would undoubtedly be a ton of teams interested, but it'll be up to Marner where he wants to go.

3. Probably bring back Ilya Lyubushkin so that the Leafs can stop giving up assets to fill this spot every year, maybe 3 years, $3m.

4. Resign Nick Robertson, 3 years, $2m per.

5. Giordano, Brodie, off you go.

6. Resign Liljegren, 2 years, $2m per.

I guess that leaves us with:

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Robertson
McMann-Dewar-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Reaves
Gregor

Rielly-Lyubushkin
McCabe-_____
Benoit-Liljegren

Hope for both Minten and Cowan to find spots in that bottom 6. Focus your cap dollars and Marner return on finding a really good right shot defenceman and maybe middle-6 centre.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Listening to 590 it seems like they don't even think that Shanny is at risk. Like he doesn't wear every failure they have had as much as any other person. More so because he had the power to correct it every year. I will be sad if only Keefe takes the hit.
Perhaps, but I'd get it over it fairly quickly

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Man florida retooled and Dallas retooled all in the span of us “contending”

Imagine if we’d have some foresight back then and taken a step back to take 2 steps forward.

Marner or Nylander or Tavares should’ve been dealt after Montreal

Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
#1 Fire Shanahan. 10 years with terrible results. No excuses anymore.
#2 Fire Keefe. His post game comments yesterday were inexcusable and reeked of someone who's weak.
#3 Proceed from there.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I do pray that if we do make major moves it is a top doqn approach

Fire Shanny + Keefe + Treliving any Scouts that Shanny brought in

Let new President bring in GM and new GM bring in the new coach

I dont want to see Keefe be only casualty. Shanahan is a huge fraud who I have wanted fired for 2+ years now

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I do pray that if we do make major moves it is a top doqn approach

Fire Shanny + Keefe + Treliving any Scouts that Shanny brought in

Let new President bring in GM and new GM bring in the new coach

I dont want to see Keefe be only casualty. Shanahan is a huge fraud who I have wanted fired for 2+ years now

Honestly, none of us have enough knowledge of how the inner politics of MLSE work to know to what extent everyone should be fired.

Heck, take a look at the scouting organization; who's had their draft classes fairly decimated since 2019... but who have still come up with Nick Robertson 53rd overall, Topi Niemela 64th overall, Matthew Knies 57th overall, Fraser Minten 38th overall, and Easton Cowan 28th overall.

It's not their fault that in the 4 drafts between 2019 and 2022, they only had 1 pick in the first round, who died, and only one other in the top 50 -- who so far looks pretty good in Fraser Minten.

Much of that same organization picked up Rasmus Sandin, Sean Durzi, and Pontus Holmberg in 2018.

To be fair, objectively, other than Rodion Amirov, the Leafs haven't really "missed" on a first round pick since 2011.

We all thought Burke was crazy for saying Rielly was his #1.... turns out he was clearly better than the 4 guys drafted infront of him; and most "redrafts" feature him in the top 2-3.

Freddy Gauthier may not have been the world's greatest pick at 21 OA, but he still played 175 NHL games, and of the 10 picks after him, only Andre Burakovsky, Shea Theordore, Jason Dickinson and Ryan Hartman would have been objectively better picks. Also picked up Verhaege and Johnsson in that draft.

William Nylander at 8OA was obviosuly a big hit. Most re-drafts put him well before 8th in this draft.

Similar story for Mitch Marner at 4OA and obviously Matthews at 1OA.

Their following picks, Liljegren and Sandin at 17 and 29.... 2 quality NHL defenceman... which is basically what you hope for in that pick range.

Reactions: therealkoho

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Bottom line Mitch says no way to trade then only option is let him stay at his cottage until he realizes we are serious and he might be done in hockey taking a year off .. at some point he will get it and then trade for a D and a pick with zero retention .. JT doesn't matter as no one wants him at 11m so it is best he starts season and then gets hurt and agrees to LTIR for rest of season and then you tell him you will give him $1M per on a 1 year basis for 2025 (if you take C away from him then he won't agree to LTIR) .. if neither agree to play ball then they sit at home all year .. we can't have cancer in room so best they stay at home .. it has to be a hard and fast discussion with zero negotiation .. team will suffer a bit next year but crapping out again in playoffs next year will occur again
What kinda dream land are you on with this shit. You want him to get hurt so he can go on LTIR?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I didn't say that at all.

my question is. Who. Who are you replacing him with. Who is available. Why is he better? What did he accomplish? What is he changing that Shanahan didn't. that's all I'm really curious about.

Everyone does this every year. just fire everyone, trade everyone. so my question is okay sure. but for who? I'm not asking this because I'm living in fear because I think Shanahan is the only one qualified to run the Leafs. I'm asking because I'm wondering who people want to replace them. because no one ever brings that up. It's easy to say "fire them." i just want the discourse of "I want to bring in...George McPhee" (sorry first name that came to my head) because that makes sense of why you'd ditch Shanahan.

again. didn't say that, nor imply that. simply asking who do you replace him with.

and as i said before. and maybe this is where you got confused. (not being mean. just clarifying things up).

if you are happy with the GM/Front Office. then personally you don't fire Shanahan. because if you fire Shanahan. I believe you need to fire the front office as well because the franchise always hires backwards. the President should hire his own GM, who should hire his AGM etc, and Head Coach etc. and i can't remember the last time we actually did that.

the other question i'd ask is why are we firing Shanahan?
is it because he was the face of this 10 year embarrassment? Okay. that's fair.
Is it because you believe he kneecaps the GM? Okay that's fair. (but then do you believe the NEXT President won't do something similar-ish if it's a controversial move? I don't know).
Is it because he DIDN'T stop Dubas from doing certain things. Okay. (but then you'd argue that's micromanaging the GM which we didn't want the president to do anyway).

so it boils down to again. if you want to fire him - okay cool. but who do you replace him with. is that president going to want to be GM? okay that's fair. so we're cool with losing Treliving/Pridraim. Cool. but who is this person? that's all i was asking and legit curious (and wish people would offer up, vs. "fire them all." if you think that's me living in fear or think Shanahan's the only person qualified then... okay? sorry I gave that impression?

as i've said my knowledge of the NHL can fill a teacup right about now. I don't know all the players, (on ice or in office anymore). I don't know the big names. I do know that Quennville is a controversial commodity (one IMO I would take). but like leadership etc higher up? not a clue. so it would be nice that people would be more in depth because i believe it leads to better discussion than all of us just shouting YAH! FIRE EVERYONE!
Good to see you back in here, always wondered what happened to you in this board, Saw you in the main boards alot.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Why is buying out Tavares not an option?!

It will only cost us $303,000 each season for two seasons. Honestly I think the leafs should seriously consider that. It would be ruthless but clears you $10.5 million immediately

Edit I lied, because of how his contract is structured it’s a $10.3 cap hit. So it’s better to let it expire

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad