Value of: What would give up to trade for McDavid?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Well they would need a #1 C to replace him (Assuming that Drai is penned as the #2) so that would be Scheifele going back.

Then, to cover the value difference, we would be sending back Laine.

Then, it's a matter of what else is going.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Matthews
1st
Kapanen
Nielson Or Dermott

Wouldn't be enough,but that's the best we could do. No point in adding Nylander or Marner or Rielly which just rapes us, even if McDavid is coming back.

Think that's actually as reasonable a package as you can get tbh. Matthews is a future superstar in his own right with years of cheap control, an extra first round pick to cover for McDavid's loss, Kapanen's quite a promising prospect, and an extra player (which I'd argue isn't necessarily needed in this deal).

Though I'd argue McDavid's marketability isn't quantifiable so regardless of how lopsided the assets would be in a trade, his name will be worth too much revenue-wise over the next decade plus.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Everything.

McDavid would play forward, defense and goalie at the same time... on a 70mil per year salary. He would play 60 minutes a night. It'd be a disaster.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
McDavid makes being an Oilers fan for the past 10 years worth it. I'm not sure how you capture that in trade value.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Seguin or Benn + Klingberg + Guryanov/Tufte/Enter Top Prospect

Couldn't feasibly imagine trading that, but I guess it would take something like that

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Matthews
1st
Kapanen
Nielson Or Dermott

Wouldnt be enough,but thats the best we could do. No point in adding Nylander or Marner or Rielly which just rapes us, even if McDavid is coming back.

Thats thr most I would want to give up, and like you said the Oilers would never go for that, which is fine.

The only way he ever leaves Edmonton is if a cash deal can be done, or if he refuses to sign and walks to UFA.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
McDavid makes being an Oilers fan for the past 10 years worth it. I'm not sure how you capture that in trade value.

This. It's so rare to have a player like him. There's no accurate trade value. He makes the games so much more exciting on his own. It must be like watching Gretzky back in the day. Or Michael Jordan/Lebron, or Messi/Ronaldo, or Brady.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Nash+2nd in 2018 for McDavid? Eberle hasn't been good this year and Nash gives the Oilers a legit sniper with some good years left. Only $7.8 million for the next two years. 2nd in a deep 2018 draft which gives the Oilers a good shot at drafting a good prospect. Thoughts?

kidding lol

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
While most teams could offer "fair" value for McDavid, both teams would probably not do the trade, especially in a cap situation.

Nothing can replace the hope McDavid brings to the Oilers. Not Matthews, not Crosby, not anyone.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It wasn't a joke. You know why? Because all it takes is 3 words to clarify your post. "I was joking." And you still haven't said it.

Marner + 2 firsts for McDavid. LOL.

Own it and move on. It was a proposal that lacked all credibility.
I wouldn't brag about only being able to tell if someone is joking based on them explicitly saying so but whatever I guess.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I wouldn't even do that.
You don't need mcdaivd to win a cup.
If Mather/nylander become elite winger...you lose that trade bad, really really bad
You need a 1C to win; Matthews will get there, so I'll take the extra top 6 player, all day, everyday.

Let's say McDavid, Matthews, and Marner all reach their potential ...

* McDavid is Crosby
* Matthews is Toews
* Marner is Kane

= 3 Stanley Cups > 2 Stanley Cups.

However, let's be realistic.

* McDavid becoming a Crosby is FAR more realistic than Marner becoming another Kane.
* Furthermore, McDavid is more marketable than both Matthews and Marner. Look what McDavid is doing in Edmonton. Matthews and Marner wouldn't garner the attention if they are not in Toronto. Just from just a bottom line standpoint, it wouldn't make sense.
* Crosby costs the Penguins $10mn+. Toews and Kane costs the Hawks $20mn+. You can see how it matters from a cap perspective.

BOTTOMLINE: Toronto would have to at least offer Matthews, Marner, and Nylander for Edmonton to come to the table. Even then, they'll probably be hesitant. McDavid means more to Edmonton than what Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. Generational talents have the potential to save a sport in a city. Look what Gretzky and Crosby did for Los Angeles and Pittsburgh, respectively. That upside is too much to give up for Edmonton.

So Marner and 2 firsts for McDavid ... or Matthews and Marner for McDavid will not do it. It will take a lot more. I don't know what the first proposal was about. That was beyond ludicrous.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Nash+2nd in 2018 for McDavid? Eberle hasn't been good this year and Nash gives the Oilers a legit sniper with some good years left. Only $7.8 million for the next two years. 2nd in a deep 2018 draft which gives the Oilers a good shot at drafting a good prospect. Thoughts?

kidding lol

Thoughts: It seems a little early to be drinking out on the east coast... ;)

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Let's say McDavid, Matthews, and Marner all reach their potential ...

* McDavid is Crosby
* Matthews is Toews
* Marner is Kane

= 3 Stanley Cups > 2 Stanley Cups.

However, let's be realistic.

* McDavid becoming a Crosby is FAR more realistic than Marner becoming another Kane.
* Furthermore, McDavid is more marketable than both Matthews and Marner. Look what McDavid is doing in Edmonton. Matthews and Marner wouldn't garner the attention if they are not in Toronto. Just from just a bottom line standpoint, it wouldn't make sense.
* Crosby costs the Penguins $10mn+. Toews and Kane costs the Hawks $20mn+. You can see how it matters from a cap perspective.

BOTTOMLINE: Toronto would have to at least offer Matthews, Marner, and Nylander for Edmonton to come to the table. Even then, they'll probably be hesitant. McDavid means more to Edmonton than what Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. Generational talents have the potential to save a sport in a city. Look what Gretzky and Crosby did for Los Angeles and Pittsburgh, respectively. That upside is too much to give up for Edmonton.

So Marner and 2 firsts for McDavid ... or Matthews and Marner for McDavid will not do it. It will take a lot more. I don't know what the first proposal was about. That was beyond ludicrous.

1 Superstar and 2 Stars > 1 Generational Player.

The Leafs would have to fill those gaps with players that would not make up for the production lost. Edmonton has every right to demand the world, but don't be offended when people laugh at the ask is Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I wouldn't brag about only being able to tell if someone is joking based on them explicitly saying so but whatever I guess.

Then just say it! "IT WAS A DUMB PROPOSAL." It's not that hard. You still haven't done it.

This is a message board where it's hard to tell the tone. That's why people created emojis.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If and when he becomes eligible for an offer sheet he will only cost 4 first round picks.

But the team making the offer would have to ensure that salary would be beyond Edmonton's ability to match. They would also have to make sure they had the cap hit available and so on.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We'd have to go back to the old rules where cash could be traded.

The flaw with that is we have a multi billionaire owner who cares more about hockey and hanging out with his idols than money. I'm not sure the price it would take to purchase McDavid, but it would be a massive number

Think that's actually as reasonable a package as you can get tbh. Matthews is a future superstar in his own right with years of cheap control, an extra first round pick to cover for McDavid's loss, Kapanen's quite a promising prospect, and an extra player (which I'd argue isn't necessarily needed in this deal).

Though I'd argue McDavid's marketability isn't quantifiable so regardless of how lopsided the assets would be in a trade, his name will be worth too much revenue-wise over the next decade plus.

It's not reasonable. It's fine if that's the max you would offer, but it's not even in the ballpark.

If and when he becomes eligible for an offer sheet he will only cost 4 first round picks.

But the team making the offer would have to ensure that salary would be beyond Edmonton's ability to match. They would also have to make sure they had the cap hit available and so on.

It wouldn't get to that point, but if it did, there isn't a number we wouldn't match. It just means trading away other players

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
1 Superstar and 2 Stars > 1 Generational Player.

The Leafs would have to fill those gaps with players that would not make up for the production lost. Edmonton has every right to demand the world, but don't be offended when people laugh at the ask is Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

I also gave intangible and cap reasons why McDavid is worth more to Edmonton. IF Matthews, Marner, and Nylander hit their ceiling, Edmonton would win that trade. However, the odds are much more favorable that 1 player hits their ceiling vs. three. That's just common sense.

I'm not saying the Toronto Three can't get to their ceiling ... but it won't be easy. So Edmonton asking for Matthews, Marner, and Nylander is more than reasonable. Furthermore, Toronto has far higher perception of their stars than reality. That is obvious. Go to the US and no one knows who they are. McDavid is already gaining traction in the US.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
It would be more palatable to tank next time there is a highly touted first overall (ie: Matthews, McDavid, Crosby) than to trade the farm for him.

Win by losing seems to be the acceptable form of building a franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad