Value of: What would Carey Price realistically cost?

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Talbot , Puljujarvi , 1st 2017 and probably another plus . Too much to pay but if a team is deep enough to give up what is needed and still ice a good team he would be worth it .

lol Price would cost the Oilers Pulji AND Draistl in any deal. Then u add with Talbot and the first (wont be worth much with Price and McJesus). Habs would ask for Eberle/RNH.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Just gonna throw some teams.

If the Devils were to trade for Price:
Schneider + Palmieri/Henrique

Rangers
McDonagh + Zibanejad + Miller

Islanders
Tavares + Hamonic + Dal Colle

Penguins
Crosby + Murray

Sharks
Vlasic + Couture + Jones

Nashville
Josi + Rinne + Neal

Edmonton
McDavid

Florida
Ekblad + Barkov

theres some examples!

Last edited:

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He would realistically cost way more than he is worth.

Goalie is such a fickle position and not every goalie is a fit for every team. Depending on the style of play and system in front of them, some goalies are better suited for the system if they are more conservative and stay deep in the net and play angles.

Other goalies are better when they are more athletic and really come out and challenge shooters. Really depends on the coverage and type of defensive and neutral zone execution going on in front of him.

That being said, the only goalie who probably looked like he could backstop a team to a cup no matter what the hell they were doing in front of him was the Dominator

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Jocelyn Thibeault, Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinski

Seiruosly though, your asking for the best goaltender in the world, 2-low first (because we know that they wint be bottom feeders), your best prospect and an established top4/6 under 23

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Let's say one GM has gone mad and wants to trade the farm for Carey Price. what would he offer?

If Marc Bergevin is crazy enough to trade him what would be his demand?

First overall calibre player. Generational talent. Plus, plus.

You can have all the Crosbys, Ovis, McDavids, etc. that you want. A truly elite goalie can, and usually does, trump them all.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
First overall calibre player. Generational talent. Plus, plus.

You can have all the Crosbys, Ovis, McDavids, etc. that you want. A truly elite goalie can, and usually does, trump them all.

Completely disagree.

A generational talent goalie cant win a cup without a solid all around team in front of him. Hasek found that out the hard way for years in Buffalo.

A team can and has won a cup with a just OK goalie in net.

One thing every NHL cup winner has had is Norris caliber dman and/or a bona fide 1C. THOSE are the positions you cant do without

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Probably a young replacement goalie, young top 6 forward, 1st.

Not saying Tampa would want him but value wise think vasilevski, drouin, 1st

Which is a ridiculous price to pay but the guy is unreal so it's hard to tell.

Talbot , Puljujarvi , 1st 2017 and probably another plus . Too much to pay but if a team is deep enough to give up what is needed and still ice a good team he would be worth it .
These are likely the basis of a deal if it were to be made. I would think that Edmonton could do it if it were offered. Obviously he's going nowhere but lets say he has to be traded these are the kind of offers MB would be looking at and I would assume teams would be offering.

Rangers

Islanders

Penguins
Crosby + Murray

Sharks
Vlasic + Couture + Jones

Nashville
Josi + Rinne + Neal

Edmonton
McDavid

Florida
Ekblad + Barkov

theres some examples!

mark-henry-finger.gif

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Completely disagree.

A generational talent goalie cant win a cup without a solid all around team in front of him. Hasek found that out the hard way for years in Buffalo.

A team can and has won a cup with a just OK goalie in net.

One thing every NHL cup winner has had is Norris caliber dman and/or a bona fide 1C. THOSE are the positions you cant do without

Top 5 goalie in the world
Top 5 defenseman in the world
Top 5 center in the world

Pick 2 of those 3, thats what you need to win the cup basically.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Top 5 goalie in the world
Top 5 defenseman in the world
Top 5 center in the world

Pick 2 of those 3, thats what you need to win the cup basically.

I cant agree there. For about 5 years, Nashville had 2 of those and couldnt even get to a cup final

Top 5 goalie - Rinne
Top 5 defenseman - Weber

From about 2010-2015 I dont know if there was a better defenseman/goalie pairing in the league. Rinne isnt as good as he used to be, but he was as good as anybody in those years

I think you need a legit 1C no matter what. That is the real playoff matchup back breaker

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I cant agree there. For about 5 years, Nashville had 2 of those and couldnt even get to a cup final

Top 5 goalie - Rinne
Top 5 defenseman - Weber

From about 2010-2015 I dont know if there was a better defenseman/goalie pairing in the league. Rinne isnt as good as he used to be, but he was as good as anybody in those years

I'm not saying having 2 of those 3 guarantees winning the cup, but you're gonna have a real tough time winning it without 2 of those 3. Pittsburgh is the exception with two world class centers, Letang is good but not top 5

Crosby/Malk
Quick/Kopi/Doughty
Toews/Keith
Chara/Thomas
Lidstrom/Datsyuk

And back to the Anaheim days they had Pronger/Neids

You're right, its tough to win without an elite 1C. Only ones I can think of are 2011 bruins but Krecji played like one and I'm not sure who was Ducks C in 07.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
From Habs POV

NO way, the massive downgrade from Price to Schneds is worth a lot more than the both of them, let alone one of them

Rangers
NO, McD would a huge add but Z has no spot on the habs, Miller would just be a third liner with the habs

Islanders
No but closer to what the habs need.

Penguins
Crosby + Murray
I dont see the pens doing this. Habs too shouldnt do the trade.

Sharks
Vlasic + Couture + Jones
Add Hertl and replace Couture with Pavelski

Nashville
Josi + Rinne + Neal
BIG NO cuz of Rinne lol. But can u give us back Subban? :):):nod::nod:

Edmonton
McDavid
Oilers hide in a corner

Florida
Ekblad + Barkov
NO, would have to include Luongo and dump DD

theres some examples!

Price would cost too much. He is a game changer on ANY team and can carry any team to to the Playoffs. On a good team, he can win the cup.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Price would cost too much. He is a game changer on ANY team and can carry any team to to the Playoffs. On a good team, he can win the cup.

I would do half those trades in a heartbeat. (florida, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Islanders, sharks) and probably most of the others too. Those are extreme overpayments and would never be offered. I cannot see NJD paying anything to upgrade on Schneider for example.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I'm not saying having 2 of those 3 guarantees winning the cup, but you're gonna have a real tough time winning it without 2 of those 3. Pittsburgh is the exception with two world class centers, Letang is good but not top 5

Crosby/Malk
Quick/Kopi/Doughty
Toews/Keith
Chara/Thomas
Lidstrom/Datsyuk

And back to the Anaheim days they had Pronger/Neids

You're right, its tough to win without an elite 1C. Only ones I can think of are 2011 bruins but Krecji played like one and I'm not sure who was Ducks C in 07.

I would call Bergeron the 1C there in Boston, despite Krejci being the more offensive player. For the elite two way play he brings and being a three time 30 goal scorer now, I have no problem calling him a legit 1C, and a top tier one at that

Ducks still pretty much had Getzlaf on the rise as their 1C in 2007. Scored 58 pts that year, then 82 pts the next year

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
We're talking about Bergevin, an older goalie like Lundqvist would probably be enough. Poile is probably teasing him about a Rinne for Price trade one for one as we speak. :(

Get over it. Be happy with team Canada's number 1 pairing guy and a lot more maturity and toughness to boot.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I would do half those trades in a heartbeat. (florida, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Islanders, sharks) and probably most of the others too. Those are extreme overpayments and would never be offered. I cannot see NJD paying anything to upgrade on Schneider for example.

From a Habs POV, Florida and Islanders offers makes no sense as the habs are getting no goalies in return which would make the team significantly worse. And no they are not over payments imo.
As for Pits and Edm's offers. As I said, both teams dont move their players for Price. And the Habs dont go after Crosby cuz of his concussions. You dont pay a Price for that risk.
SJ's offer is good but can be adjusted for a better deal.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
There is no realistic cost.
Our entire system literally revolves around Carey Price. He is our 3rd defensemen. He controls the breakout as one arguably the best puck handling and passing goalie in the league. Add that to being the best goalie in the league on a team without a lot of firepower up front, and you can't trade him without changing your entire identity. Weber was brought in because of the defensive system we feel comfortable playing with Carey Price in net.

I agree. His value to other teams is irrelevant. Only way he goes on the market is if your team is going through a rebuild... which I don't see happening any time soon.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad