Speculation: What will Rantanen’s contract demand be (post Draisaitl signing)?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He waited on Marner last time despite having almost identical comps the two seasons prior and look how much lower he was than Marner

I still think he’ll wait on Marner
Then he will be waiting for the offseason. Marner has been overpaid by a minimum of a million a year. If Toronto is stupidly gonna sign him it’s at Nylander’s clip nothing more.

At least Rantanen shows up in the playoffs, I would think 8x12 is a solid deal for both sides.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
I can’t see makar leaving that much on the table
He deserves one penny under McDavid, so that may be the bar for Makar, but then the Avs have to let Rantanen walk/be traded in anticipation of Makar's deal. I like to think/hope/pray that all three are happy at $12.5ish not one upping eachother, but the NHLPA will argue that its not good for anyone taking that much of a deal

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He waited on Marner last time despite having almost identical comps the two seasons prior and look how much lower he was than Marner

Don’t wait too long on it and don’t be too stingy about it. If I were the Leafs I’d think long and hard about which guy to give the bag to if it came down to Marner or go after UFA Rantanen.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
somewhere in 12-13.5 range

I could see guys getting close to Drai on the 8 year deals with the right teams (window is now franchises) tbh. Cap is going to jump a lot.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He deserves one penny under McDavid, so that may be the bar for Makar, but then the Avs have to let Rantanen walk/be traded in anticipation of Makar's deal. I like to Ithink/hope/pray that all three are happy at $12.5ish not one upping eachother, but the NHLPA will argue that its not good for anyone taking that much of a deal
At the risk of sounding like an antagonizing fan from another team, I wonder how strong the desire is to “keep the gang together” and win a cup when the big 3 have already accomplished that

Even Crosby, who is heralded for “taking less” was paid the equivalent of 15m in todays dollars for the first 9 years of his deal, it was the now illegal last 3 backdiving years that made his cap hit competitive

Money definitely talks in the nhl

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
At the risk of sounding like an antagonizing fan from another team, I wonder how strong the desire is to “keep the gang together” and win a cup when the big 3 have already accomplished that

Even Crosby, who is heralded for “taking less” was paid the equivalent of 15m in todays dollars for the first 9 years of his deal, it was the now illegal last 3 backdiving years that made his cap hit competitive

Money definitely talks in the nhl

It depends on the alternative. Yes, cap space is valuable, but you also have to use it for it to matter. The Avs haven’t been very aggressive in FA. So replacing him this way is problematic.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Easy mathematics.

Last 3-seasons:
- Draisaitl 1.43 points per game = 14.0M
- Rantanen 1.27 points per game = ~12.43M

A bit less than MacKinnon will fit well on Avs cap structure.

Small world. Yesterday I was at same (local) bar with a guy who drafted Rantanen, and his brother is the agent. Those guys are also gonna get a payday.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Id have marner likeky lower than Rantanen but they are same caliber players

Like Matthews is same tier as Mack but hes at the end of that tier and usually isnt better than Mack

Marner has had years better than Rantanen and is generally close enough year in and out to be in same tier

I would take Kaprizov over rantanen and have him 3rd in the league for wingers. Rantanen likely 4th and 2nd best of that tier of wingers

Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Playoffs, playoffs, playoffs
Agree with you Rantanen is superior than Marner and karpizov due to his playoff experience
If he want to take a max of 12 M for next year with everyone healthy Colorado team can start the playoff with

Drouin Mackinnon Rantanen
Lehkonen Mittlestadt Nichushkin
Landeskog RItchie Wood
O'connor Colton Kovalenko

Toews Makar
Manson Girard
Kylington Malinski De hann

Not really far than a championship team

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I think things have changed.

I don't think Marner is on the same level of Rantanen, Pastrnak and Draisital. I think those are better comps for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad