Speculation: What will Rantanen’s contract demand be (post Draisaitl signing)?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
rantanen will likely set his sights a we bit lower than leon...and that would be accurate IMO.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Not sure Marner signs till July 1st. So he can keep on waiting.
How will leaf fans react if Brad let's him walk? Brad loses #13 rip for nothing, in hindsight bungled MT, couldn't get AM for 8 years, is paying another winger in Nylander over 11 million and now might get nothing for Marner. Add in Tanev and OEL contracts maybe contracts aren't Brads shtick?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
No shot he demands more than MacKinnon. Doesn't matter where the cap is going or whatever. Nate deserves to be the highest paid player on the team. He drives the bus and Mikko knows that as well as anyone.

It was different when Nate was on that earlier contract when everyone knew he was underpaid. But this current deal was his big one.

Reactions: VainGretzky

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I would think Rantanen and his agent were probably waiting for the Draisaitl deal to take place before they landed on their number. Have any Avs fans heard anything about negotiations? Does 12.5 x 8 sound realistic? It keeps MacK the highest paid player on the team, but also reflects Rantanen’s value in relation to the Draisaitl deal.

Thoughts?
im saying 100 M for 8 years, just to have the bragging rights of triple digits

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
How will leaf fans react if Brad let's him walk? Brad loses #13 rip for nothing, in hindsight bungled MT, couldn't get AM for 8 years, is paying another winger in Nylander over 11 million and now might get nothing for Marner. Add in Tanev and OEL contracts maybe contracts aren't Brads shtick?
Think a lot of leaf fans (myself included) wouldnt even care if he walked for nothing. Dude is a f***in bum when the time mataters.

Reactions: HolyCrap

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Rantanen will sign under Mackinnon numbers so We can expexted a 11.5 to 12 M per year

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He waited on Marner last time despite having almost identical comps the two seasons prior and look how much lower he was than Marner

I still think he’ll wait on Marner
Because that marner deal was f***ing ridiculous.

Dubas got bent over.

Reactions: Linds

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Pastranak clears every winger in the NHL besides Kucherov

Clear cut 2nd best winger in the league

Rantanen is anywhere from 3 to 7 though likely closer to 4-5 than 6-7

Marner, Kaprizov, M. Tkachuk, are three guys who are right there with him.

Interesting that you dispute this for purposes of putting Marner on the same level. LOL. Just a guess but most leafs fans are probably laughing at this claim about Marner.

Reactions: Linds

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Interesting that you dispute this for purposes of putting Marner on the same level. LOL. Just a guess but most leafs fans are probably laughing at this claim about Marner.
Id have marner likeky lower than Rantanen but they are same caliber players

Like Matthews is same tier as Mack but hes at the end of that tier and usually isnt better than Mack

Marner has had years better than Rantanen and is generally close enough year in and out to be in same tier

I would take Kaprizov over rantanen and have him 3rd in the league for wingers. Rantanen likely 4th and 2nd best of that tier of wingers

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
12.5M seems like the easy go to. Dont give him more than Mac, then give Makar the same deal in a year and all three are happy.

Reactions: VainGretzky

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
There's exactly 3 players who have scored more points than Rantanen in the 2020s and one of them just signed for 14m. But the gap from Rants to those 3 is pretty big, while he's practically tied with Pastrnak. Anything between Pastrnak and Draisaitl seems pretty reasonable. I mean Pastrnak has AAV of 11.25m but that was signed over a year ago. I would guess Rantanen's next contract will be between 12-13m

Reactions: Mac Attack

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
By the Numbers you have to think Rantanen is definitely worth more. Yes one can mention Marner defensively impacts higher but I'd still have to give Rantanen the edge.
In the regular season, maybe. When it matters though, absolutely not. Rantanen is a far better player and has won a cup.

12m x 8 IMO

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Id have marner likeky lower than Rantanen but they are same caliber players

Like Matthews is same tier as Mack but hes at the end of that tier and usually isnt better than Mack

Marner has had years better than Rantanen and is generally close enough year in and out to be in same tier

I would take Kaprizov over rantanen and have him 3rd in the league for wingers. Rantanen likely 4th and 2nd best of that tier of wingers

Nope. Not the same strata. Marner is a soft regular season front runner. And to make matters worse, what Marner makes now is what his next contract should be...if even. Try harder.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Not sure Rantanen is waiting on anyone, and shouldn’t be. He’s a better player than Marner, and one can argue about who brings more to the table, Rantanen or Pasta? I think Rantanen is the better all around player, but Pasta is more dangerous in the offensive zone.

After LD’s deal though, there’s nothing stoping the Avs and Rantanen. I’d guess he’s getting $13 and change. He’s the exact type of winger you’re looking for, very high in drafts now. The worst part is, it’s so hard to judge if a 17-18 year old kid has a chance to turn into a Rantanen. The only two from this past draft were probably Cayden Lindstrom and Brandsegg-Nygard, and even though both of those have the tools at 18, putting all those tools together at the elite of the most elite level, only time will tell.

If I’m Colorado what concerns me is all the upfront money LD got, because Rantanen is gonna ask for the same type of structure. Even if he comes in at $12.5 million or so.

He’s one of the players, you just accept what his contract is, and adjust your roster accordingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad