What The Hell Happened To...Jonathan Cheechoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ficohok*

Apparently he signed for 1 year. I dont know the salary.

As Medvescak (my team :) ) is not the richest one in KHL, I assume his salary will be around 200.000 - 250.000 euros + bonuses for goals/assists etc. Not NHL like of course but way more than in AHL.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't think it's fair to say the game has past Cheechoo. He just hasn't had the right opportunity to prove himself. People said Brad Boyes was done and the game past him, but he had a great season for NYI. (Playing with Tavares :P).

I'm not saying he will still make the NHL I'm just not saying he won't.

PPG player in the AHL is nothing to slouch at. He would be a better call up than Tim Kennedy!

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Wow for someone who scored the most in a season thats sad... I remember when we trade him for Heatley but what happened ever since? Why does he suck now??

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Wow for someone who scored the most in a season thats sad... I remember when we trade him for Heatley but what happened ever since? Why does he suck now??

He doesn't "suck". He wasn't a very fast skater when he broke into the NHL. Great skater just little speed. He had a horrible injury and can no longer keep up in the NHL. Still has his hands and instincts and heart but his legs are shot.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
He just signed with MedveÅ¡čak Zagreb (KHL). Ryan Vesce is also on that team.

The most surprising thing about this to me is that there is a KHL team in Zagreb. I completely missed the KHL expanding out of Russia, and I certainly didn't know hockey was popular enough in Croatia to support a KHL team :laugh:

I hope Cheech does well, getting paid a lot more than an AHL salary I would think.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The most surprising thing about this to me is that there is a KHL team in Zagreb. I completely missed the KHL expanding out of Russia, and I certainly didn't know hockey was popular enough in Croatia to support a KHL team :laugh:

I hope Cheech does well, getting paid a lot more than an AHL salary I would think.

I think the KHL is 6 or 7 different countries...

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
I think the KHL is 6 or 7 different countries...

Indeed, at present:

Russia
Belarus
Latvia
Croatia
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Ukraine

There is also potential to expand to Switzerland(possibly 2014/15).

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Indeed, at present:

Russia
Belarus
Latvia
Croatia
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Ukraine

There is also potential to expand to Switzerland(possibly 2014/15).

also Jokerit Helsinky will leave the SM-Liiga after season 2013-2014 and start in KHL on season 2014-2015 making Finland the first Nordic country to join the league.

ficohok*

He is doing well...8 goals in 14 games so far. He is captain for last three games. Second in the goals in the KHL:handclap:

He is paid at least twice what he had in AHL (take into account that Medvescak is not high-budget team).

TheHockeyRant

Apr 19, 2014
Reno, NV
Cheechoo's success was solely due to Joe Thornton. Once teams realized that they could shut down Thornton it shut down his entire line which it led to the Sharks demise in the playoffs and ultimately Cheechoo's decline.

Injuries did not help and he wasn't exactly known for his off-season training regimen either.
Before JT joined the team Cheechoo was merely a third line player with some skill (similar to Tommy Wingels or Jamie McGinn) but because he had one amazing season being set up by at the time probably the best player in the game it looked as if Cheechoo was a top line winger when in reality he was not, and never was.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
28 goals playing with Ricci and the other Thornton = just a third liner? Sounds like National boards talk man...

Cheechoo's work ethic was never questioned, just injuries killed his career. If he was still healthy, I have no doubt he'd be a 30 goal scorer in this league, with or without Thornton.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Cheechoo's success was solely due to Joe Thornton. Once teams realized that they could shut down Thornton it shut down his entire line which it led to the Sharks demise in the playoffs and ultimately Cheechoo's decline.

Injuries did not help and he wasn't exactly known for his off-season training regimen either.

Before JT joined the team Cheechoo was merely a third line player with some skill (similar to Tommy Wingels or Jamie McGinn) but because he had one amazing season being set up by at the time probably the best player in the game it looked as if Cheechoo was a top line winger when in reality he was not, and never was.

He was top 30 in goals scored in the league in 04 just so in case u weren't aware

I also remember hearing somewhere that he would shoot up to 1000 times a day...I don't work ethic should come in to question on his decline.
It was always footspeed, and injuries just decimated it even quicker.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He was top 30 in goals scored in the league in 04 just so in case u weren't aware

I also remember hearing somewhere that he would shoot up to 1000 times a day...I don't work ethic should come in to question on his decline.
It was always footspeed, and injuries just decimated it even quicker.

Cheechoo's decline probably bums me out the most of any player the Sharks ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad