Value of: What Team will trade for Dubois? Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Ok, here is the Question.

What team will trade with Winnipeg for Dubois after he turns down their multi-year offer, this summer, know fully well that he will sign in Montreal the following year?

Personally, I am reminded of the Kesler trade to Anaheim, where he only wanted to go there. It handcuffed us, and the return was dismal.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Kegs

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If he refuses a long term deal in the offseason and is only interested in MTL then the Jets should just trade him to the Habs and get it done… won’t get much more for a year of him elsewhere than what MTL would offer.
Not interested in Drouin, Armia, Dvorak, Dadonov, Gallagher, or Edmundson… would just keep him or trade him elsewhere before accepting any of them.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

What team will trade with Winnipeg for Dubois after he turns down their multi-year offer, this summer, know fully well that he will sign in Montreal the following year?

Personally, I am reminded of the Kesler trade to Anaheim, where he only wanted to go there. It handcuffed us, and the return was dismal.

Thoughts?
The teams that are looking for a rental probably.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If he refuses a long term deal in the offseason and is only interested in MTL then the Jets should just trade him to the Habs and get it done… won’t get much more for a year of him elsewhere than what MTL would offer
Nothing anywhere near his actual calue since they could just wait another season and get him for free without gutting the teams depth

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC and zcaptain

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Any team that is an open window that needs a physical and skilled 1/2C in their prime will pay a decent price to aquire him, even if it's for one run. Especially if the Jets help make the cap work.

Boston, Carolina, New Jersey and Colorado come to mind. Who knows who else.

Reactions: Azrael89

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Thoughts?
Any trade will be tied to extension talks or not.

if he says he’s testing free agency then winnipeg won’t get as much. If he says this, gets traded to X, thrn signs an extension then tampering investigation will occur.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I dont think it's a foregone conclusion that Dubois will only sign in Montreal at all.

I'd bet if a team like Tampa was willing to give him good money on an 8 year deal he'd be happy to head to sunshine and the beaches instead.
Totally agree....

IMO, Montreal fans are kidding themselves if they think it's a sure thing that they'll find PLD under their Christmas tree in a couple of seasons. If a true cup contender is knocking on his door, he's going to answer.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Who wants to rent a #1C for a year at $6m?

There are clubs that will pay their whole draft for that. But I don't think the Jets could get a high 1st back.
The team that would want to trade for "Rental" Dubois will have mid to late 1st, and that itself probably would not be enough. Team are also trying to strengthen their roster, so they really don't want to move a roster player. Then on Winnipeg's side, they want a replacement player that will allow them to compete now, with their remaining core.

I do not see how this improves Winnipeg.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
If he refuses a long term deal in the offseason and is only interested in MTL then the Jets should just trade him to the Habs and get it done… won’t get much more for a year of him elsewhere than what MTL would offer.
Not interested in Drouin, Armia, Dvorak, Dadonov, Gallagher, or Edmundson… would just keep him or trade him elsewhere before accepting any of them.
Habs have no reason to trade for him. If they want Dubois, they just wait out one more season.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Totally agree....

IMO, Montreal fans are kidding themselves if they think it's a sure thing that they'll find PLD under their Christmas tree in a couple of seasons. If a true cup contender is knocking on his door, he's going to answer.
Great point, which it is why a deal to move him to Montreal is in everyones best interest, asap. If that is what Montreal really wants. The longer it goes on, the more chance of exactly what you suggest, happens.

Reactions: Benstheman

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Totally agree....

Its not Habs fans that are clamoring for PLD. Its PLD that is clamoring for Montreal and its fans! ;)

Big difference. There may not be a spot for PLD in a year's time. We will see what kind of home-town discount he offers Hughes. :)

Great point, which it is why a deal to move him to Montreal is in everyones best interest, asap. If that is what Montreal really wants. The longer it goes on, the more chance of exactly what you suggest, happens.
If he wants to be a Hab, then he will wait it out. No need to trade for him now and give up assets. That would be stupid. Habs hold the cards. PLD needs to ask nicely to be a Hab as its not guaranteed.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
The reason I posted this thread was that, I had posted a 3 way deal, with Mtl/Winnipeg and Vancouver, which got heavily dumped on.........I am not suggesting it was a great trade for Winnipeg, but as this thread points out, there will not alot of teams willing to move equivalent asset that benefits Winnipeg now..sure, yes, futures, but not assets that keep Winnipeg's window open now. The risk is, "IF" Dubois won't sign, and wants to go to Montreal.

Nobody can actually, say anything right now, because it would be collusion, and the penalty for a interfering with a Dubois type player would be huge!

I suggested the following:

MTL....................Dubois, and Lekkerimaki
Winnipeg.........Miller and Vancouver's 2026 (top 10 protected) 1st
Vancouver........Dach and Mtl's 2023 1st (currently 7th OA) top 2 protected

This deal, has to be done before July 1st when Miller's NTC kicks in. Yes, I agree with all the posters that say Miller's deal will not look as good in 3/4 years, but can you offer better, because, IMO, there are not a lot of teams, that are in the position to trade a 80 point player that doesn't have a NTC and want to go to Winnipeg, or isn't really young, and part of their new core, that has the potential to be a Dubois replacement, as Miller can be short term, and they can afford to lose for nothing if Dubois does not resign.

The argument that it is a good trade is above, and well addressed. If you just want to dump on it, and not contribute without argument, well that is on you and proves you do not have an argument. If you want to make counter points that I have not seen, please feel free to add.

Maybe I don't see that there is a better trade...I am not sure. Maybe Dubois will resign in Winnipeg, but if he doesn't want to, this window is closing July 1st, and really should be done sooner.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Habs fans are very split on the Dubois situation. There's no consensus. Some want to wait for UFA, while others want to get him onboard sooner.

Personally I'd be willing to offer some real futures for him this summer (thinking FLA 1st and prospect).

I don't think the Jets will get fleeced if a move to MTL happens, but I don't think they'll get a truly maximized return either.

Edit: I should add that a lot of Habs fans don't want him at all

Last edited:
Reactions: Donkeyz

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
The reason I posted this thread was that, I had posted a 3 way deal, with Mtl/Winnipeg and Vancouver, which got heavily dumped on.........I am not suggesting it was a great trade for Winnipeg, but as this thread points out, there will not alot of teams willing to move equivalent asset that benefits Winnipeg now..sure, yes, futures, but not assets that keep Winnipeg's window open now. The risk is, "IF" Dubois won't sign, and wants to go to Montreal.

Nobody can actually, say anything right now, because it would be collusion, and the penalty for a interfering with a Dubois type player would be huge!

I suggested the following:

MTL....................Dubois, and Lekkerimaki
Winnipeg.........Miller and Vancouver's 2026 (top 10 protected) 1st
Vancouver........Dach and Mtl's 2023 1st (currently 7th OA) top 2 protected

This deal, has to be done before July 1st when Miller's NTC kicks in. Yes, I agree with all the posters that say Miller's deal will not look as good in 3/4 years, but can you offer better, because, IMO, there are not a lot of teams, that are in the position to trade a 80 point player that doesn't have a NTC and want to go to Winnipeg, or isn't really young, and part of their new core, that has the potential to be a Dubois replacement, as Miller can be short term, and they can afford to lose for nothing if Dubois does not resign.

The argument that it is a good trade is above, and well addressed. If you just want to dump on it, and not contribute without argument, well that is on you and proves you do not have an argument. If you want to make counter points that I have not seen, please feel free to add.

Maybe I don't see that there is a better trade...I am not sure. Maybe Dubois will resign in Winnipeg, but if he doesn't want to, this window is closing July 1st, and really should be done sooner.
LMAO if you think Dubois is getting our 2023 1st and Dach.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Its not Habs fans that are clamoring for PLD. Its PLD that is clamoring for Montreal and its fans! ;)

Big difference. There may not be a spot for PLD in a year's time. We will see what kind of home-town discount he offers Hughes. :)

If he wants to be a Hab, then he will wait it out. No need to trade for him now and give up assets. That would be stupid. Habs hold the cards. PLD needs to ask nicely to be a Hab as its not guaranteed.
If that was the case, more players would do the same thing........as the other poster said...Montreal has absolutely no way of knowing if Dubois is just talking for the sake of a new contract, or really wants out. It is widely accepted that Montreal wants him (at least the Fan's, and it makes sense)

I do not agree with you....PS.....I do not think hockey players are generally built that way, most have some loyalty to the club that has them. remember, They have friends on the team they do not want to suffer.

What a dick he was, is not something they want to be known for..........and if he leaves that way.........there will be a certain amount of fans and players that will think that way............

I mean, who knows, maybe he doesn't care, but I would argue he does.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Thoughts?
Habs make solid offer but not full blown retail. Knowing they can get him a year later for nil. Jets probably take next year from him and let Dubois walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad