What team is having a better off-season than the New Jersey Devils?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rob Bowen

Jan 13, 2019
Since the 2019 NHL entry draft, where the team selected Jack Hughes first overall, they have shaped their team into a young, fast and better all around team to hopefully battle for a playoff spot next season.

The Devils have a bright future with a one-two punch of Jack Hughes and Nico Hischier up front at center. Both of them add tremendous amounts of skill and speed to this Devils forward group that will be great for the future.

The trade for P.K Subban will make the whole defensive core even better for the Devils. They finished 26th in the NHL in Goals against and 21st in Power-play percentage; Subban will help a lot especially with his dynamic skating and his big slap shot from the blue line.

Not to mention former MVP Taylor Hall....

theBRKDWN Sports — Dealing with the Devil(s)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
When you add Hughes, Subban, Gusev and Simmonds while losing no one important, yeah you’ve had a solid summer. Hard to top that.

That said they had room for these players, same can’t be said for a lot of other teams.

Shero has had quiet offseasons lately, and i remember him admitting as much saying he didn’t do a very good job. Because of that he had the cap space to be aggressive this summer.

So i guess there’s multiple ways to look at it. Nill added Radulov, Hanzal, Methot and Bishop 2 years ago after similar wake-up call season, all valuable players at the time. Maybe he didn’t have to if he recognized his team isnt really that good in the first place.

Simmonds might end up in that Hanzal/Methot territory but it’s only 1 year so w/e. Hughes was a gift 1st overall. But i liked both Subban and Gusev trades, i think those will make a big difference.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Or...
Panarin > Gusev
Kakao =< Hughes
Trouba >= Subban
Fox >= Smith
Kravstov = Boqvist
Nobody << Simmonds

It's pretty even
Kravtsov is a top 10 prospect in the league. He is much better than Boqvist though I think Boqvist is underrated. But this is about best offseason and Smith, Kravtsov, and Boqvist weren’t added this offseason. I think NYR easily had the best offseason

Reactions: CasusBelli

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
When you add Hughes, Subban, Gusev and Simmonds while losing no one important, yeah you’ve had a solid summer. Hard to top that.

That said they had room for these players, same can’t be said for a lot of other teams.

Shero has had quiet offseasons lately, and i remember him admitting as much saying he didn’t do a very good job. Because of that he had the cap space to be aggressive this summer.

So i guess there’s multiple ways to look at it. Nill added Radulov, Hanzal, Methot and Bishop 2 years ago after similar wake-up call season, all valuable players at the time. Maybe he didn’t have to if he recognized his team isnt really that good in the first place.

Simmonds might end up in that Hanzal/Methot territory but it’s only 1 year so w/e. Hughes was a gift 1st overall. But i liked both Subban and Gusev trades, i think those will make a big difference.

Gusev at this point is another Nikita Filatov. He has the talent to be a top 6 player but giving him 4.5 per year on a 2 year deal was certainly risky. He has 0 NHL games played.

Definetly the rangers

Panarin>Subban
Kakko=<Hughes
Plus Trouba is a top pairing guy.

Trouba isn't a top pairing guy in the classic sense. He will be top pairing for the Rangers because there is nobody else for that role but they didn't exactly add a #1 defenseman.

Reactions: dood

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Gusev at this point is another Nikita Filatov. He has the talent to be a top 6 player but giving him 4.5 per year on a 2 year deal was certainly risky. He has 0 NHL games played.

Trouba isn't a top pairing guy in the classic sense. He will be top pairing for the Rangers because there is nobody else for that role but they didn't exactly add a #1 defenseman.
there isnt anything risky abour signing Gusev to two years. The only risk involved is the owners possibly wasting 9 mil

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
there isnt anything risky abour signing Gusev to two years. The only risk involved is the owners possibly wasting 9 mil

If he fails and doesn't develop then its a waste of cap space. Hard to justify giving an unproven talent 4.5 per year even if its only 2 years.

Ask Vegas how that worked out with Shipachyov.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Kravtsov is a top 10 prospect in the league. He is much better than Boqvist though I think Boqvist is underrated. But this is about best offseason and Smith, Kravtsov, and Boqvist weren’t added this offseason. I think NYR easily had the best offseason

Kravstov is a better prospect but two years younger, Boqvist is likely the better player this season. When talking about offseason top prospects signed are part of it.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Kravstov is a better prospect but two years younger, Boqvist is likely the better player this season. When talking about offseason top prospects signed are part of it.
I think Kravtsov’s hitting 50 points this season and will have a better opportunity to play higher in the lineup

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
The Rangers lost Hayes, Zuccarello, Shattenkirk and might lose Kreider. Easily the Devils.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
If he fails and doesn't develop then its a waste of cap space. Hard to justify giving an unproven talent 4.5 per year even if its only 2 years.

Except cap space is not really a concern for the next two years...so

Reactions: Blueboy

TopG

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Leafs offseason has been a dream so far. Did everything HF said they couldn't

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
But he is in the sense that you can't name 60 defensemen better than him, so by virtue of numbers, he is in fact a top pairing guy.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017

Its not in any way shape or form a waste of cap space when the Devils have an abundance of if

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad