What is the single worst decision your team ever made?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not my team but Vegas took Tuch instead of Kaprizov in a trade from Minnesota so that the Wild could protect who they wanted in the expansion.

Vegas was offered a choice of Kunin, Tuch, or Kaprizov at the time. Imagine lol

I think Tuch eventually turning into Eichel still turned out pretty damn well for Vegas.

I'd consider trading Nick Suzuki a much bigger, preventable error.

Reactions: P10p

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Since I've been following the Penguins since around like 2004 I'd say that it would probably be signing Jack Johsnon. You gotta think this was a favor to Crosby, given his history with JJ and JJ's financial woes.

Honorably mention to the 2012-13 season when they decided to dump a ton of assets for Iginla, Morrow, Murray, and Jokinen only to get embarrassingly swept by Boston.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Since there are so many blunders in the Vancouver Canucks history. I'll just go with the 3 most recent. The above poster got it right with the Jim Benning hiring, but these are some of Benning's most moronic moves in recent times.

1. Trading for Ekman-Larsson at a point where the team should of been rebuilding. Now the Canucks have one of the worst contracts in the league and a player who is shell of his former self. While the Yotes deepen their prospect pool with Dylan Guenther.

2. Treating Chris Tanev like trash and leaving him hang while Jim Benning actively pursued Ekman-Larsson a year before. Then only to come back at the last minute when the Larsson talks fell through. The Canucks D has been in shambles ever since and Tanev should of retired a Canuck.

3. Drafting Olli Juolevi over Matthew Tkachuck. Enough said.
Is Juolevi the kid that basically chose Fortnite over an NHL career? I remember hearing about it; kid was rumoured to be playing like 8+ hours per day or something, staying up late playing it, and being late for practices and stuff. Not sure if it was him lmao. Crazy stuff.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I don't get the reference and at this point I'm too afraid to ask :laugh:
I mean the reference is a wrestler listing off all the wrestling moves he knows.

However the joke being it’s an absurdly long list. Much like the list of Edmonton’s mistakes.

1677688183763.gif

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
For Sabres one could argue NOT keeping Briere/Drury. It sounds silly now, but Briere was holding a line on 5 years/25 million. Seems like peanuts these days.

However, a bigger mistake may have happened a week afterwards by MATCHING the Oilers offer on Vanek which I believe was 7 years/49 million. If you're gonna move on from Briere/Drury you were probly better off taking the Oilers next 4 1st round picks. They would have been top 10 in hindsight, mix that with our picks being better (closer to top). With Vanek the Sabres were stuck in mediocrity.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
For Lou in NJ, it was the decade of futile drafts between 05-15. If you don’t want to rebuild, you better hit on some players. Refusal to address scouting and then a refusal to rebuild - fatal blow.

But specifically, he should’ve done everything in his power to keep Scott Niedermayer. Likely cost himself a cup, maybe two.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Pens: Kris Beach and those other 2 guys for Jagr. Literally would have been better to just get a bag of pucks. Trading Naslund for Alex Stojanov.

Reactions: RSPens

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The Hull trade is an interesting debate because many people will point to it helping the Flames win a Cup and I would never give that up or bemoan a trade that results in a Cup win. However, I have seen more recently some discussion of how much that deal really was key to winning the Cup, if they could have still won the Cup without it and/or how many Cups might they have won by keeping Hull instead.

I was too young at the time to have a solid opinion on it, so will go with it helped us win a Cup so won't complain much, and Brett Hull is a complete jackass so glad I didn't have to cheer for him.

I think as good as Ramage was and as meh to decent Wamsley was I'd have kept the 741 goal scorer (41g, 72g, 86g, 70g in his first 4 full seasons with Stl after the trade) who was on pace for 40 goalsish in pretty much his rookie season. I think we'd have won the cup in '89 regardless as Vernon was our main starter.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Habs top 5 in order:

Extending Bergevin
Hiring Houle
Hiring Bergevin
Roy Trade
Chelios trade

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The Sabres caving into Hasek’s trade demand or he’d retire. Diminished return because of that. Should have called his bluff, got him back even if he sat out a year, and then traded him for a lot better package than they received.

Losing him for nothing wouldn’t have been much worse than what they received. Should have gambled on Hasek’s desire to play hockey in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad