Value of: What is the "plus"? Kempe Danault Byfield Durzi (plus?) for Matthews (plus?)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is a July 1st trade, meaning that Matthews is eligible to sign a long term extension as part of the trade, in the same way that Matthew Tkachuk did in the Florida Calgary blockbuster.

Auston Matthews --- $11.6403m until 2024 (with long-term extension)
PLUS ---> picks? prospects? both? neither?

for

Adrian Kempe --- $5.5m until 2026
Phillip Danault --- $5.5m until 2027
Quinton Byfield --- $0.8942m until 2024 (then RFA)
Sean Durzi --- $1.7m until 2024 (then RFA)
TOTAL CAP = $13.5942m
PLUS ---> picks? prospects? both? neither?

So, what are the Kings (or Leafs) adding here to make this a fair deal?
A lot? A little? Nothing? You tell me. I don't claim to know the answer.

NOTE - I considered possibly using Fiala instead of Kempe, thinking that maybe Leafs fans would want a guy locked up until 2029 more than a guy locked up until 2026. I decided against it, but by all means you could do the trade that way. It might be too much cap going back to Toronto though, without them moving somebody else out. Structuring it with Kempe seemed easier to do.

EDIT - I edited this offer to add in the possibility of the Leafs adding, instead of just the Kings being the ones adding.

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Who says we would want to pay that for the impending UFA who wants to come here anyway?
What was it you paid for Tavares?
There is a possibility that Matthews is going to Arizona or Anaheim, and it's possible that he's going there with an extension. Also possible that he extends in Toronto, I suppose. You won't be able to get him as a UFA for free in 2024 if he never becomes a UFA in 2024.

If you think that Matthews is ONLY interested in playing in Los Angeles from 2024 and beyond, then yeah, the Kings should just wait and then sign him for free. Can the Kings be SURE of that though? I personally don't think so.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
There is a possibility that Matthews is going to Arizona or Anaheim, and it's possible that he's going there with an extension. Also possible that he extends in Toronto, I suppose. You won't be able to get him as a UFA for free in 2024 if he never becomes a UFA in 2024.

If you think that Matthews is ONLY interested in playing in Los Angeles from 2024 and beyond, then yeah, the Kings should just wait and then sign him for free. Can the Kings be SURE of that though? I personally don't think so.
Far from certain. Makes sense though. Just as likely he stays in TOR.
However, in the likely event he does want to leave, TOR will have to trade him to the team he wants to go to for what they can get, not what they wish they could get.

Reactions: norrisnick

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Do people honestly think Matthews is leaving Toronto or is this just another wishful thinking kind of thing?
The idea is basically that the Leafs might be desperate to avoid a Tavares Islanders / Gaudreau Flames situation, where their superstar walks away for nothing. So they tell him the summer before he is a UFA that he needs to sign an extension or else he's being traded. Leafs can try to trade him where he prefers to go with an extension, but ultimately it's a "traded or extended" scenario where they leave no possibility of losing Matthews for nothing.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
However, in the likely event he does want to leave, TOR will have to trade him to the team he wants to go to for what they can get, not what they wish they could get.
Matthews NMC kicks in on July 1st, and also his ability to sign an extension kicks in on July 1st. He doesn't have a NTC or NMC or anything before July 1st.

If the Leafs really wanted to, they could trade Matthews at the draft or in late June to any of the other 31 teams. The only problem is that Matthews would come without an extension, and therefore they would receive less value back in the trade.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Fan of neither team.

It's a weird trade because it kinda makes both teams worse.

Sorta feel like you should remove one of Byfield or Durzi to make it fair value-wise.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Fan of neither team.

It's a weird trade because it kinda makes both teams worse.

Sorta feel like you should remove one of Byfield or Durzi to make it fair value-wise.
The reason I included Durzi is because the Kings are actively looking to move a RHD. They have a logjam at that position, and I though the Leafs might be interested in him. I also think that the Leafs would be looking for somebody between 18 and 24 with high potential to be included in the deal, considering they're trading a superstar away. Byfield and Clarke fit that description, and Kings fans have made it clear that they aren't interested in trading Clarke.

I think it would make more sense to keep Byfield and Durzi both in the deal, and then if you personally think the Leafs aren't giving enough value, just add a pick or prospect or whatever you think is reasonable going from the Leafs to the Kings in order to make it fair value.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Byfield and Durzi for Auston Matthews signed long term is "close"? You're joking right?
If Matthews wants to be in LA then Toronto has 0 leverage. Sign and trades rarely happen anymore, and when they do the price isn't much more than a rental.

So no, Matthews ain't getting 4 roster players in return. And I'm a fan of both teams here. Byfield and Durzi is low, but its closer than the OP's package

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If Matthews wants to be in LA then Toronto has 0 leverage.
We don't know that Matthews wants to be in LA. If the Kings actually KNEW that Matthews wanted to be in LA, they would know that he won't extend anywhere and they would wait for July 01 2024 and not trade for him. This is a trade proposal with (A) Matthews going to the Kings and (B) a Matthews extension though, so it's heavily implied that the Kings aren't in a position here where they have full confidence that Matthews ONLY wants LA.

For all we know, he's thinking "I'll extend long term in either Los Angeles or Anaheim, as long as it's California". There are many real possibilities where Los Angeles doesn't have a huge amount of leverage.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Oh for sure, why not some 1sts and Marner.

To balance it out you could add a lame donkey and a broken wagon.

Do people honestly think Matthews is leaving Toronto or is this just another wishful thinking kind of thing?
I think a 1st and Marner should be enough.

Leafs might have to take on Dustin Brown and Jeff Carter as well.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
as a leafs fan IF Matthews wants out. And he considers LA.

I think that is too much. I think LA would get retained sa”-ray (Matty makes league min on July 2) from a cheap team like Arizona.

Matthews at 50% for

1.) iafallo, vilardi,Clarke or byfield
2.) kempe or Anderson kaliev or something?

I don’t know enough about the kings players but basically.
You want something. But it wont be over the moon asking

If it is a legit value player (kempe/Anderson) I don’t think you are getting a blue chip prospect too. Then again. I may be underrating vilardi

And the people who think they would just wait to sign Matthews are out to lunch. If they decide to part ways. You really think he would sign somewhere after a year when he knew he was available and you don’t make a trade.

Matthews by waiting to UFA gives up a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad