What is the "Ken Burns Baseball" of Hockey docs?

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Has to be Charles Coleman's The Trail of the Stanley Cup book set.

EDIT: I was reading "doc" more broadly and was erroneously including print media.

Last edited:

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I’m Swedish, I haven’t seen his baseball documentary, but I think it would be hard to find hockey documentaries “on par” with something by Ken Burns.

Would however love to see an Adam Curtis take on how Sigmund Freud’s Canadian aunt’s theory on the psychology of violence, Ayn Rand, the Austrian School of Economics and PM Joe Clark’s spin doctors shaped the history of hockey as we know it.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
How about Punched Out: The Derek Boogaard Story?

And if you'll consider "docudramas" (telling a true story using realistic re-creations), Net Worth (1995) is a great one about the formation of the NHLPA in the 1950s. The Rocket (2005) would be another one.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The documentary is I think an 11 parts (cut baseball in 10 era, one part by era plus an extra more general episode), 18.5 hous total runtime, 3 years+ to make project with a 3.5 millions (of 80s-early 90s) budget made by someone of Burns caliber.

The equivalent would try to cover all of hockey history.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Home Game with Ken Dryden is a bit dated but very good.

It’s not chronological but covers many aspects of hockey culture and the development system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad