Tavares, what are you doing? Endorsements?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Someone who delivered to my place of work was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Someone sold him this idea about grounding his bed into the earth would cure his illness. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was all bullshit. It truly gave him hope, and who am I to dash that.

I see why someone would create a thread like this, but what is the underlying motivation of this thread? That hockey players can endorse products that might not work? That Tavares is not a role model for kids? To not accept wooden nickels?

My wife's Aunt has crystals all over her house. Should I tell her that's she's a fool for wasting her money?
There's a big step between somebody you know owning things vs a celebrity using their fame to promote things to impressionable people. There's a reason that these companies try to get stars to promote their products... because it works and more people buy their products.

These type of products also use fake/manipulated scientific studies (or blatantly lie) to "show" their products work... I won't get into aligning yourself with Russel Brand given they're "just" allegations (multiple) at this point.

People in the medical field and famous influencers should be held accountable when they endorse lying products. Especially if they don't believe in them themselves which has become more of a social norm (however, we don't know in this case).

Edit: Any steps that can be taken to stop false advertising (on all products) should be explored. That includes unhealthy products disguised as healthy options, fake products endorsed by "doctors" or "experts", and manipulated study results.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Doctors once stated that cigarettes had no impact on someone's health. Doctors also told you you didn't need to mask, then you did, and then you didn't, and that Covid wasn't transmitted in a restaurant if you got in with your "Vaccine Passport". They also said it didn't come from a lab.

I respect medical professionals, but like any other profession, it is politicized, corporatized, and monetized. During the height of the pandemic one of the 'experts' was a disgraced high school teacher.
Russell Brand and John Tavares are more truthful than Peter Hotez.

Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
People in the medical field and famous influences should be held accountable when they endorse farce products. Especially if they don't believe in them themselves which has become more of a social norm (however, I don't know in this case).

Didn't a bunch of influencers and athletes get sued for promoting crypto-currencies?

Might be a warning for anyone thinking of putting their name and face as ambassador of quesrionable products like these.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There's a big step between somebody you know owning things vs a celebrity using their fame to promote things to impressionable people. There's a reason that these companies try to get stars to promote their products... because it works and more people buy their products.

These type of products also use fake/manipulated scientific studies (or blatantly lie) to "show" their products work... I won't get into aligning yourself with Russel Brand given they're "just" allegations (multiple) at this point.

People in the medical field and famous influencers should be held accountable when they endorse lying products. Especially if they don't believe in them themselves which has become more of a social norm (however, we don't know in this case).
exactly…

20210615_colbertsBack_3x2.jpg

Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Didn't a bunch of influencers and athletes get sued for promoting crypto-currencies?

Might be a warning for anyone thinking of putting their name and face as ambassador of quesrionable products like these.
Yeah, cryptocurrencies are ill defined from a legsl standpoint and therefore I believe the argument is that theyre a "financial instrument" which should be regulated under other existing organizations (the SEC) which have stricter guidelines/rules for product promotion.

NFTs are another situation that was an incredibly slimey business practice that some athletes took advantage of and knowingly endorsed (or set up their own) when many knew the value would quickly tank.

If nothing else, there are some severe ethical concerns with these type of promotions and celebrities should not be immune to the backlash that they may experience. Many athletes knowingly (not assuming JT, for now) promote these things to make another million while that $ comes from low-income families and people who have only heard lies about a product's worth.

If people promoting products were held accountable, you would see a lot more of this shit go away as there would be a lot less people promoting pseudoscience crap which would lead to less fake scientific findings, less news coverage, and finally less people believing/buying these things.

I don't blame individuals for believing in these products. I blame large organizations for manipulating scientific studies, celebrities that endorse products that they don't believe in, and for media that promote this crap to impressionable minds (especially children).

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I've got absolutely nothing against guys getting paid with side gigs/endorsements - but if you're going to publicly endorse something as silly as this, one has got to accept the mockery that comes with it
You can laugh at me and make posts on internet forums all day long if I'm taking home $250k.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
If i was the mypillow guy I'd invent sheets that protects against electro rays of the internet of things, while you are sleeping. He's missing an opportunity

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Edit: Any steps that can be taken to stop false advertising (on all products) should be explored. That includes unhealthy products disguised as healthy options, fake products endorsed by "doctors" or "experts", and manipulated study results.
You're naive if you believe that most celebrities are virtuous.

If you believe that they generally hold a higher standard of integrity, but this is a deviation from that standard, then I don't know what to think.

Perhaps there's an organic lentils company that Tavares can make big money endorsing, but doubt it.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013

Funny that being on a hockey forum, the promotion of something non hockey related is causing a stir, meanwhile when new equipment lines roll out, nobody criticizes the "10% more pop, better accuracy, better energy transfer, etc." claims that hockey players endorse. I'd say it's even worse in the case of hockey equipment, cuz while they promote stick for example, it can often be completely different than the product they're using/older models but it's covered in the latest retail graphics...

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Yeah, cryptocurrencies are ill defined from a legsl standpoint and therefore I believe the argument is that theyre a "financial instrument" which should be regulated under other existing organizations (the SEC) which have stricter guidelines/rules for product promotion.

NFTs are another situation that was an incredibly slimey business practice that some athletes took advantage of and knowingly endorsed (or set up their own) when many knew the value would quickly tank.

If nothing else, there are some severe ethical concerns with these type of promotions and celebrities should not be immune to the backlash that they may experience. Many athletes knowingly (not assuming JT, for now) promote these things to make another million while that $ comes from low-income families and people who have only heard lies about a product's worth.

If people promoting products were held accountable, you would see a lot more of this shit go away as there would be a lot less people promoting pseudoscience crap which would lead to less fake scientific findings, less news coverage, and finally less people believing/buying these things.

I don't blame individuals for believing in these products. I blame large organizations for manipulating scientific studies, celebrities that endorse products that they don't believe in, and for media that promote this crap to impressionable minds (especially children).

This product here that he is endorsing....

It supposedly protects against harmful wifi radiation. Or something like that. Except there is already a widely known much cheaper alternative.

It's called a Tin Foil Hat.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yeah, only the government is allowed to hawk pseudo-science. Have they been able to define a biological woman yet? As for the 5G stuff, there was a buried story a few years ago about teachers getting sick from working near one of the towers. Look for it, I believe it was TDSB staff. Also, look into wind turbines, the noise pollution they create, and how it can affect people and animals. I don't believe in this product and would never buy it but dismissing people's concerns and blindly putting your trust in the 'authorities', especially after Covid is just utter stupidity.
This isn't the right forum to have this conversation - but I'll only say that in all the reputable scientific journals that have complex peer review systems, there's no indication, anywhere, that the "5G stuff" is an issue.

I wasn't dismissing people's concerns, so apologies if I came across that way. However, there also needs to be some element of common sense pushback against some of this drivel that just shouldn't be believed. We have a duty to accommodate and help one another

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad