Phillip Broberg

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
They are under the cap and accruing space even with Kane healthy. They will be able to add the equivalent of a 4.5M dollar player at the TDL. Or a 9M player retained at 50% with no money out.
a single TDL player won’t fix that blue line.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
The blue line that was 1 game away from winning the cup just last year? (Minus Ceci and Broberg)

Are you arguing the Oilers can't improve on that with a trade (or two)?
They better add someone significant or they won’t be in the finals. What will be available and if they have assets to acquire such player is another story. Not a lot of quality at TDL.

The D core is worse without Ceci and Broberg and it wasn’t very good to begin with.

Losing Broberg for nothing was a complete failure.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
They better add someone significant or they won’t be in the finals. What will be available and if they have assets to acquire such player is another story. Not a lot of quality at TDL.

The D core is worse without Ceci and Broberg and it wasn’t very good to begin with.

I think you should wait more than 5 games to make such sweeping conclusions.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Yeah not gonna lie this is looking like it has the potential to become an absolute DISASTER for the Oilers. Not sure how they managed to let him slip away, especially given the lack of depth they have on D. If either one of Ek/Bouch get injured for a solid chunk of games they might be f***ed.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Thought he really did well in the playoffs. Stable defender and didn’t panic, was a great replacement for Desharnais.

But ya management f***ed up by not signing him earlier. Oh well, life as an Oilers fan. The cosmic dance continues.

Reactions: The Panther

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
A five-game point streak and zero goals against while on the ice. He seems to be gaining confidence by the second and starting to fulfill his potential. Great move by STL.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I was always high on Broberg, his development path will be interesting to watch. With that being said, I wouldn’t look too much into a small sample size of 5 games.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
This move will cost the Oilers and McDrai a chance at the cup.

No, that nurse contract is doing that. It made this whole offer sheet business available in the first place.

The D core was pretty phenomenal last year. They got to the finals on their defense. GA, especially after the 11 game start was near top 5 in the league. Same GA as Florida in the playoffs, despite teams describing florida as defensive.

But secondly, Broberg was not going to do what he is doing playing 3rd pairing minutes, or off side shutdown duties. He was largely miffed because he had no spot on the roster that would allow him to play his style.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This move will cost the Oilers and McDrai a chance at the cup.

How in the f*** do you ship out Codi Ceci to signify a match, make room to fit Broberg, and then still don't match?? Especially when your D corps is already trash as it is.

Inexplicable mismanagement.
Do you see 3mill in non LTIR cap space for the Oilers? Cause we don’t have it.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Probably safe to say he’s not chewing down many of the toughest defensive minutes on his team?

Tbf, outside of last year’s playoffs, I haven’t seen him since he played in the SHL. But I have a lasting impression of him being an exposable weakness on defense. Of course, he was a junior player and he’s making strides since.

I watched him in the AHL with Condors. He was bit soft on the defensive side (as was Bouchard) but has improved. What continues to be underrated (I've posted this MANY times) is his puck moving ability - stretch passes and QBing the PP. I said if the Oilers didn't have Bouchard or Barrie at the time, Broberg would have blossomed as PP weapon.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Blues have great development and great pro and minors scouting. Not super surprised that a young pick up has worked out well for them, Armstrong is a great GM, I've seen it all before with his brother :laugh:

Broberg wasn't given much of a chance on the Oilers and was generally decent or better for them, but he barely played for the team over 3 years, totaling around 80 games + playoffs over that period of time. There was never the kind of trust that was needed for him to play big minutes and get established as a d-man in the org because Ekholm was already sheltering Bouchard and the rest of the Oilers squad didn't have anyone who could shelter him. He absolutely could have been played over Desharnais but there was practically no room for him before last year with Barrie, and the year before Barrie and Keith were both there which left even more of a logjam in a team that was trying to win real hard. I can understand not wanting to trust a 21-23 year old defenseman who is primarily an offensive player and hasn't really improved his defense a ton when you already have Bouchard and Nurse on the left side.

And Kulak isn't an amazing defenseman by any means but IMO he's better than Broberg in many aspects of the game and Broberg was never given the opportunity to shine and was asked to play a game that he wasn't super fit for as a still developing prospect. Oilers heavily needed players who could handle guys in front of the net and in the corners, guys who could clear the crease and handle players one on one on rushes. Broberg is a great offensive defenseman and has great stick work and skating but despite his size he's not a guy who throws around his weight a ton or is particularly strong or mean.

It makes perfect sense what the Oilers did, not gonna speculate on whether it was the right choice or not but they got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for players who they probably still weren't going to give significant time to while in their cup window.

I don't think this is really on the GM at all, and is mostly on the coach if they do pan out. Although Broberg really hasn't developed a ton (don't get me wrong he's a good player but he's still almost the same player he was when he was drafted) and Holloway hasn't been lighting it up for the Blues at all, but while I'm sure the Blues are happy it's still only been 5 games into the season.

By far not useful to compare it to shit like Erat and Forsberg at this point. Dvorak and Strome were a PPG when they came to Arizona at first too. There was a season when Brad Richardson had a career high and team high 19g. Sample size is there for a reason. That Arizona team was hot f***ing garbage btw but they still had the 3rd most SHG of any team in the modern era with 16 (behind 2007 Blackhawks and 2023 Oilers).

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Thinking you can add a top for d-man at the trade deadline and plan your whole season on it is Bush League stuff

Losing both guys for nothing was amateur hour no matter how anyone wants to spin it. It was a terrific move by the Blues who added to the prospect pool and gave up nothing.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Because they think they can get a better player than Broberg at the deadline. If they matched any move at the deadline would have to be dollar in dollar out. Not matching they gained the cap flexibility to gain a top 4 right D without moving anyone out and an extra 2nd round pick to get that player.

It’s a move to win now not in 3 years. Losing these guys will sting even harder in 2-3 years.

Fools errand. You guys got really lucky with the Ekholm deal, those deals do not come up very often. Leafs got Muzzin similarly and looked for another one for years. Usually they are expiring vet dman, not guys with some term and a few years of high end play left.

Basically you put yourself in a spot where you need to beat other teams for the best available guy (even if he is not great) because it is still better than what you have. That is how you end up making terrible trades we see in NHL history like firsts for 4th liners / bottom pairing dmen

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Probably safe to say he’s not chewing down many of the toughest defensive minutes on his team?

Tbf, outside of last year’s playoffs, I haven’t seen him since he played in the SHL. But I have a lasting impression of him being an exposable weakness on defense. Of course, he was a junior player and he’s making strides since.
Hasn’t been getting the toughest assignments, but he’s not being overly sheltered. He’s definitely thriving in his current role, and the Blues will look to expand his role as the season progresses.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Fools errand. You guys got really lucky with the Ekholm deal, those deals do not come up very often. Leafs got Muzzin similarly and looked for another one for years. Usually they are expiring vet dman, not guys with some term and a few years of high end play left.

Basically you put yourself in a spot where you need to beat other teams for the best available guy (even if he is not great) because it is still better than what you have. That is how you end up making terrible trades we see in NHL history like firsts for 4th liners / bottom pairing dmen
I highly doubt there's another Ekholm deal out there but the going price for a bonafide top 4 D is a 1st+2nd+prospect. We have that available when the deadline comes. Now we just have to wait and see who's on the market

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I highly doubt there's another Ekholm deal out there but the going price for a bonafide top 4 D is a 1st+2nd+prospect. We have that available when the deadline comes.

I guess my point is, that will be the price but the quality of the "top 4 D" will vary each year. It was lucky that one year there was an elite one. Usually there isn't, and you pay that price for a guy who isn't very good because other teams were in and you had to do something in your all in year

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Last year the Oilers signed McDavid’s buddy Connor Brown to a 1x4M deal with $3.25M deferred until this year. Interesting that that deferred money is almost exactly the difference between what Edmonton offered Broberg and what he got from the Blues.

Brown famously spent most of the year without a goal, ultimately finishing with 4g 8a.

Is Brown over Broberg the new Erat for Forsberg? Many people are saying it
Interesting in that it's not interesting at all and Many people as in Nobody. Cool

Broberg has had a nice 5 games. Congrats to him and the Blues.
Sucks that the Oilers lost him but what can ya do. Gotta move on

• Love
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It makes perfect sense what the Oilers did, not gonna speculate on whether it was the right choice or not but they got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for players who they probably still weren't going to give significant time to while in their cup window.
You may want to check the compensation schedule again. The Oilers got a second round pick for Broberg and a 3rd for Holloway. Bowman squeezed Armstrong for an extra third and a meh prospect, but those are magic beans with a slim chance of blossoming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad