What is Peyton Krebs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Who was Krebs was when drafted?
Who was Krebs is now?
Who is Krebs going to be?

These seem to be all different answers.

I remember Krebs being drafted and his skill was top 6. Does that disappear? The skill is still there though. Some people say he is a bottom 6 which is possible but does that mean his offensive ceiling has almost peaked?
He has adapted his game but will his offensive game continue to grow?

I don't think this can be answered yet but I think its interesting to watch him grow.

Reactions: Diaspora

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
CORE. I think with some muscle, sandwiches and an off-season of training next year, Krebs is gonna explode.

Give him 4 million for 7 years right now (not really. probably bridge him. but im saying how much i like him and how much confidence i have that he's gonna work out)

• Haha
Reactions: Push Dr Tracksuit

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Krebs Cycle….

its a real thing in biology. I learned as thst but it goes by other names. It’s how mitochondria in the cells creste energy

Reactions: Dingo44

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
same as everyone else not named dahlin/power/thompson/tuch/cozens

if hes cheap you extend him as long as you can, if he wants money you let him walk and overpay in trade assets for someone elses krebs who did sign cheap

what is he, a fan favorite depth player that has some potential of being a toolbox guy that can shift around as needed who fulfills a role on the roster that the market doesn't respect (which is a bigger discussion of how and when a player scores goals vs how often a player puts in a net positive shift)

I think krebs best scenario is that he develops his setup ability and becomes an aggressive compliment in your top 6 with better linemates. I think a more likely outcome is he ends up a cap casualty or plays in buffalo for 10 years on good contracts. I could see him have girgs career where he decides hes happy here, he gets consistent usage, a lot of people buy his jersey, and no one outside of Buffalo remembers who he is.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

if hes cheap you extend him as long as you can, if he wants money you let him walk and overpay in trade assets for someone elses krebs who did sign cheap

what is he, a fan favorite depth player that has some potential of being a toolbox guy that can shift around as needed who fulfills a role on the roster that the market doesn't respect (which is a bigger discussion of how and when a player scores goals vs how often a player puts in a net positive shift)

I think krebs best scenario is that he develops his setup ability and becomes an aggressive compliment in your top 6 with better linemates. I think a more likely outcome is he ends up a cap casualty or plays in buffalo for 10 years on good contracts. I could see him have girgs career where he decides hes happy here, he gets consistent usage, a lot of people buy his jersey, and no one outside of Buffalo remembers who he is.
I think this is a fair-ish assessment, although I feel his hockey IQ which he has shown at every level he's ever played puts him a bit higher in my mind.

Maybe like a Jarret Stoll with a higher offensive upside, 50ish maybe 60 points a couple times.

Last edited:

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

Krebs is far better than Girgs. He ahs some similarities in terms of toughness, but he has far more offensive talent

Would not be out of place in the top 6

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Don't rush to judgement. If he's developing as a third line/shutdown center and he's good at it, those are players you keep around. He already brings an agitation element to the team that is basically non-existent, hes very good on the boards, he's a good forecheker and is on the + side of 50/50 battles, and he fits in with both skilled line mates and also role players. He seems to play decent with anyone you put him with. He also has scored some big goals.

To me, he's very different than the rotation of young players this team is going to have cycling through the wing positions over the next 5-7 years.

Reactions: Bendium

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Krebs Cycle….

its a real thing in biology. I learned as thst but it goes by other names. It’s how mitochondria in the cells creste energy

Delve into how ATP is formed and dark respiration of plants. Fun stuff.

As for Peyton, he's in the worker bee category right now with more to tap into and bring forth in his game. Not sure he is "core" but certainly a strong complimentary piece at this juncture.

If we look at how well Tampa has danced the line of the cap while keeping their core guys and also maintaining their best complimentary pieces well beyond what many pundits thought was possible. Figuring out who is core (Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens so far) and then who are complimentary will be an interesting process for Adams. Krebs could be a Palat/Cirelli type in the middle of the lineup for some time before they have to worry about him pricing himself out.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Delve into how ATP is formed and dark respiration of plants. Fun stuff.

As for Peyton, he's in the worker bee category right now with more to tap into and bring forth in his game. Not sure he is "core" but certainly a strong complimentary piece at this juncture.

If we look at how well Tampa has danced the line of the cap while keeping their core guys and also maintaining their best complimentary pieces well beyond what many pundits thought was possible. Figuring out who is core (Dahlin, Thompson, Cozens so far) and then who are complimentary will be an interesting process for Adams. Krebs could be a Palat/Cirelli type in the middle of the lineup for some time before they have to worry about him pricing himself out.
I'd argue Cirelli is definitely core in TB.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
When I see Krebs get fiesty I always seem shocked But, at this point that's part of his game, which is nice to see, and needed on this team. He's def young and needs to add some more weight or else he could end up on IR.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd argue Cirelli is definitely core in TB.

Palat was until he wasn't too. Johnson for a time as well. It's not like they handcuff themselves by not being willing to move a player when they cease to be useful (Johnson who was a huge part of the "Triplets" thing as an example). Parts of the roster will move less and right now Cirelli is a core bit. But is he more important than say Point?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Krebs is far better than Girgs. He ahs some similarities in terms of toughness, but he has far more offensive talent

Would not be out of place in the top 6
Krebs is far away from a top 6 role. We have got to stop overrating this kid. He has found his role on this team and is doing it well. No need to be putting expectations on this kid that might never develop.

Reactions: Bendium

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Thompson/Cozens/Krebs will hopefully be our center spine if we ever contend.

I think Krebs speed and agility is sorely missed on the 4th line. He closes the gap quickly and loves to get his nose dirty allowing Girgs and Okoposo to get set for a solid forecheck. Jost is a decent piece, but he lacks Krebs wheels, and it shows.

If Krebs can develop into a 40-50 point center who is a PITA to play against- that'd be a huge win. Anything more is the chefs kiss (that probably makes no sense, but it flows!)

Eichel may have returned us a top line power forward, a really good top-9 center, and a damn fine prospect. Krebs and Tuch also bring that energy and fiestiness consistently, which was also an aspect of the trade I loved. Those are the type of players you win with in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
A cautionary tale unless he learns to pick his spots. No one legitimate to clean up.
I'd rather he rarely ever drops the gloves, but I hope like hell he becomes our 'rat' that other teams and fans hate. It's been a while since we've had a player like that. Ott comes to mind as the last one we've had, but Im sure I'm forgetting someone. Perhaps Kaleta is more recent.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Don't rush to judgement. If he's developing as a third line/shutdown center and he's good at it, those are players you keep around. He already brings an agitation element to the team that is basically non-existent, hes very good on the boards, he's a good forecheker and is on the + side of 50/50 battles, and he fits in with both skilled line mates and also role players. He seems to play decent with anyone you put him with. He also has scored some big goals.

To me, he's very different than the rotation of young players this team is going to have cycling through the wing positions over the next 5-7 years.
sounds just like a girgensons circa 2014

agitation element to a team that didnt have it
good on the boards
good forechecker
+battler
fits in a skilled line (dont forget all star and 1c zemgus girgensons)
scores some big goals

they were even drafted at almost the same position, all we need is richard panik to head hunt him in an ahl game

Palat was until he wasn't too. Johnson for a time as well. It's not like they handcuff themselves by not being willing to move a player when they cease to be useful (Johnson who was a huge part of the "Triplets" thing as an example). Parts of the roster will move less and right now Cirelli is a core bit. But is he more important than say Point?
this is my point

krebs probably has a role on this team for a decade if he wants it, but if I need a million bucks to make sure quinn sticks around, Im not losing quinn to keep krebs, I'm not in anyway looking to lose krebs to save money, its just to pair with my point that if hes looking for north of 2.5 million to be my 3/4 line energy player then Im going to take a hard look at the cap situation before signing him

or to really poke the bear :P I'm not exposing a goaltender to protect carrier

krebs does things id lament the loss of, unlike a mitts or VO who I think are much better hockey players that I probably wouldn't lose any sleep over, I think I'd expose both before I exposed a krebs to an expansion draft

Last edited:

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
The Krebs Cycle….

My wife makes this joke all the time. It is true though; it is the metabolic biochemistry that we use to produce energy.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Thompson/Cozens/Krebs will hopefully be our center spine if we ever contend.

I think Krebs speed and agility is sorely missed on the 4th line. He closes the gap quickly and loves to get his nose dirty allowing Girgs and Okoposo to get set for a solid forecheck. Jost is a decent piece, but he lacks Krebs wheels, and it shows.

If Krebs can develop into a 40-50 point center who is a PITA to play against- that'd be a huge win. Anything more is the chefs kiss (that probably makes no sense, but it flows!)

Eichel may have returned us a top line power forward, a really good top-9 center, and a damn fine prospect. Krebs and Tuch also bring that energy and fiestiness consistently, which was also an aspect of the trade I loved. Those are the type of players you win with in the playoffs.

I sort of agree with that center spine but am also curious how Savoie and Ostlund gel in the middle as well when they get here.

Reactions: Club and Dubi Doo

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
a small guy w seemingly no fear , that's apparently alot stronger than he looks..

maybe just more decisive.. his grit as the smallest guy out there is quite the factor reminding everyone how to play..

an unexpected major part of this group.. that will be even more of a force as he matures.. very impressive..

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Drafted #17 in 2019 by Vegas an undersized skilled forward.
Year 1: WHL good growth 1.55 PPG (very good but not NHL ready)
Year 2: WHL to Covid, with some games in the AHL and NHL after restart.
Year 3: Started in the NHL Vegas for 9 games With 0 pts and a -6+/-. Traded to Buffalo.
Played 18 game in AHL doing well at .8 ppg (not NHL ready yet).
Elevated to NHL Sabres for 48 games at .45 ppg but a bad -20 +/-. (should have stayed in the AHL)
Year 4: NHL for 49 games at a lower .35 ppg gut improved -1 +/-.

Another poster child for being cooked to fast. Should have stayed in AHL last year and after it was apparent early this year that he was struggling, probably should have gone back.

That said, putting him with Girgs and Okposo simplified the game and protected him so he could stop getting caved, catch his breath, and continue developing. Thats the key to me. He is only 22 years old, just starting to get some "man" body to work with, and is showing growth.

To me has just recently made the transition from NHL prospect to "NHL ready" prospect, and looks like he will make it as an NHL player.

I see nothing that speaks top 6 except his compete level. As long as he continues to grow, a bottom six role, capable of moving up for injuries is where I see him landing.

As far as CORE, I do consider the third line center as a core player. I see that as his cieling right now, but if he achieves it thats his best chance.

Last edited:

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I sort of agree with that center spine but am also curious how Savoie and Ostlund gel in the middle as well when they get here.
I have a hard time looking and planing that far out. Ostlund in SHL and Savoie in WHL one more year. Bothe in the AHL at least one year, means at best they are trying to force a roster spot on the big club in the 25-26 season. If we have taken that long to get a good #3 and #4 center (Krebs may be one) in here then KA should be fired. Also, by then this team should have been in the playeoffs twice, three if they make it this year, and should be pushing hard as a contender, not really the place for undersized center prospects to be just getting thier feet wet.

Could trade them this year to fill other needs though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Drafted #17 in 2019 by Vegas an undersized skilled forward.
Year 1: WHL good growth 1.55 PPG (very good but not NHL ready)
Year 2: WHL to Covid, with some games in the AHL and NHL after restart.
Year 3: Started in the NHL Vegas for 9 games With 0 pts and a -6+/-. Traded to Buffalo.
Played 18 game in AHL doing well at .8 ppg (not NHL ready yet).
Elevated to NHL Sabres for 48 games at .45 ppg but a bad -20 +/-. (should have stayed in the AHL)
Year 4: NHL for 49 games at a lower .35 ppg gut improved -1 +/-.

Another poster child for being cooked to fast. Should have stayed in AHL last year and after it was apparent early this year that he was struggling, probably should have gone back.

That said, putting him with Girgs and Okposo simplified the game and protected him so he could stop getting caved, catch his breath, and continue developing. Thats the key to me. He is only 22 years old, just starting to get some "man" body to work with, and is showing growth.

To me has just recently made the transition from NHL prospect to "NHL ready" prospect, and looks like he will make it as an NHL player.

I see nothing that speaks top 6 except his compete level. As long as he continues to grow, a bottom six role, capable of moving up for injuries is where I see him landing.

As far as CORE, I do consider the third line center as a core player. I see that as his cieling right now, but if he achieves it thats his best chance.

He got caved in an offensive role last year and the shift to the heavy line was tonic for his development. We still see, he's willing to put a puck low instead of make a low percentage pass, something that is going to start a rush against, now that he's playing up with more offensive players. He had to learn and he did. He's close to even at 5-on-5 (19 to 21) for the season which is a great improvement off of how he was last year and his line is outscoring the opposition at high danger opportunities even while losing the high danger shot ratio.

There was a time when working up from a 4th line type role was the path into the lineup for younger players. His use in the middle with Gus and Okposo pushed him to adapt and he did. He took the coaching and thus far, it's stuck. That's big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad