What is DeKeyser's new contract worth?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Hard to say between 1-3M or 3-5M. I think it will be close to $3M, give or take ~$500-750k depending on term. If we can get him to commit for a long time, I don't think $4M would be the worst. Would be like one of those Kronwall/ Filppula deals where it looks really bad when the ink is still wet but by the end of the first season of the new deal you know the last 18-24 months are going to be a huge bargain for the team.

I still put DD's ceiling above Ericsson's. He's taken a while to develop, and doesn't show the offensive instinct that DD and Smitty so far seem to have. Kindl is the bigger enigma as he was highly touted as an offensive D potentially.

I think your terms sound about right where i was expecting them to be. Also agree he needs to be taken off the PP, especially with Smith not getting any time yet and really starting to play well.

Yep its really pathetic actually that Smith hasnt at least got a shot on the PP when youve got guys like Dekeyser who doesnt really have offensive instincts back there, Kindl who was brutal and forwards like Tatar.

I dont buy the too risky excuse for Smith on the P when Tatar saw time back there and Kindl who is a turnover machine as well. Smith has the ability to sneak back door and enter the zone matched only by Kronner. If he got PP time from Kindl I think he would easily be at 25 points right now.

The Smith thing makes no sense, there's no reason that he shouldn't be on the PP at this point. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes we've seen from Babcock.

I backed into this as well, from the perspective of valuating our current guys. After Kronner, Smitty and DD seem to be the next best two in terms of ability to contribute offensively, and being very legit top four guys in every sense. With that said, Smitty still seems to have the much better offensive instincts in general.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1st year 2.25M
2nd year 2.75M
3rd year 3.25M
4th year 3.75M
5th year 4.25M
6th year 4.75M

3.5M caphit.

In five years he catches those Kronwall and Ericsson caphits in real salary and that's about realistic. DeKeyser will be 29 year old then.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I expect him to get the same type of deal Ericsson got.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
3-4 Years at 2.25M Per.

He can easily get somewhere between $3-4 million if he's willing to hold Kenneh's feet to the fire. Ericsson didn't let himself get played and was rewarded for his patience. While people whined about his deal it ended up being a bargain given he turned into a top pairing d-man for us.

DeKeyser is right behind Kronwall and Ericsson as our best d-men. I would not complain if he made somewhere between $3-4 million. As a point of reference Jakub Kindl makes $2.4 million a season. :laugh:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
He can easily get somewhere between $3-4 million if he's willing to hold Kenneh's feet to the fire. Ericsson didn't let himself get played and was rewarded for his patience. While people whined about his deal it ended up being a bargain given he turned into a top pairing d-man for us.

DeKeyser is right behind Kronwall and Ericsson as our best d-men. I would not complain if he made somewhere between $3-4 million. As a point of reference Jakub Kindl makes $2.4 million a season. :laugh:

UFA vs RFA deals. DeKeyser has no leverage & really he shouldn't make more than 2.25M, that's the high end, on a bridge type deal.

The only way he could make 3-4M is if he decides to go for a long term deal.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
1st year 2.25M
2nd year 2.75M
3rd year 3.25M
4th year 3.75M
5th year 4.25M
6th year 4.75M

3.5M caphit.

In five years he catches those Kronwall and Ericsson caphits in real salary and that's about realistic. DeKeyser will be 29 year old then.

Sounds Fair if Dekeyser plays the way we think he will.

If he doesn't then this would be a HORRIBLE deal.

This would be a fair deal for Him, and he should accept it.

I think more realistically we sign either a 2, 3 or 5 year deal with Dekeyser.

2 year deal says… We really want to see more of you before paying you.

2years: 2Mil. per

3 year deal says. We like you a lot, but again, show us a good track record, and we will show u the money.

3 years: 2.2-2.4 Mil. per

5 year deal says: We think you are developing well, have very little chance to screw this up. Lets save money to locking you up long term.

5 years: 2.9-3.3 Mil. per.

With these options.. I would take the 2 year deal. Remember he is an RFA. Those suggesting to pay this guy like Kronwall or Ericsson are way off base.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
UFA vs RFA deals. DeKeyser has no leverage & really he shouldn't make more than 2.25M, that's the high end, on a bridge type deal.

The only way he could make 3-4M is if he decides to go for a long term deal.

He can prove convincingly that he's better than Kindl. So that sets the bottom of negotiations at $2.5 million. If he takes the Wings to arbitration he is guaranteed north of $3 million and skurred Kenneh Holland hates to go to arbitration. :nod:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Depends on term. More than likely a bridge deal. Like around 3 years with 2.25-2.75 range or a 4-6 year deal at around 3.25-4 aav range.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Three years, $4 mill cap hit. He's better than Ericsson was when he signed his "big" contract. Cap is going up, and DeKeyser has shown himself to be an excellent defensive defenseman in our system. I think the era of lifetime contracts is over, so I project a three year contract because it packs the most value for the team and gives him a chance to renegotiate when he's at his peak.

It'd be nice to get him for $2 but I think you guys are off the mark. Defensemen command much more than that, the cap is going up, and if you're projecting out 5 or 6 years there's no way that'd be fair market value. $4 million is going to be entry-level defenseman salary in 6 years and his agent will know that.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
1st year 2.25M
2nd year 2.75M
3rd year 3.25M
4th year 3.75M
5th year 4.25M
6th year 4.75M

3.5M caphit.

Considering I rate him to be about a $3.5M guy already that would be awesome. I mean he plays 21 minutes, puts up respectable numbers and is overall a very trustable player. And he does it without really having a good, solid top4 partner.

My best guess is that we get him for about that, but less term.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Considering I rate him to be about a $3.5M guy already that would be awesome. I mean he plays 21 minutes, puts up respectable numbers and is overall a very trustable player. And he does it without really having a good, solid top4 partner.

My best guess is that we get him for about that, but less term.

Yeah, if DD and Quincey would swap their salaries, no one would whine in here. ;)

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
I'd give him 3.5 x 3. Similar to the Ericsson extension a few years ago people went nuts over. He looks on track to be an impact guy in the top 4 for awhile and if KFQ can get money like that, you better believe Deke can.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I expect him to get the same type of deal Ericsson got.

And I think that's exactly what the Red Wings will tell him. "Here's what Ericsson got. You follow the same path, and you'll be sitting where he is today. Not bad, eh?"

And we'll have our newest member of the overpaid club. ;)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And I think that's exactly what the Red Wings will tell him. "Here's what Ericsson got. You follow the same path, and you'll be sitting where he is today. Not bad, eh?"

And we'll have our newest member of the overpaid club. ;)

No, I don't think people would react the same say. Dekeyser is way more steady than Ericsson was when he got his contract.

I remember I hated that Ericsson contract something fierce. But he changed my mind and made me eat my words. I used to think he sucked lol.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No, I don't think people would react the same say. Dekeyser is way more steady than Ericsson was when he got his contract.

I remember I hated that Ericsson contract something fierce. But he changed my mind and made me eat my words. I used to think he sucked lol.

I don't think people would react the same way, either. Just horsing around. Fortunately, Ericsson did change most folks mind, which means he's done alright. If DeKeyser can get to that same level consistently, the Wings will be better off for it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
three years and 8 million

thats still good coin for essentially a rookie

gives him sometime to develop and earn a huge payday in a few years or remains nothing more then a middling middle pair dman who signs for average money

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
3.5M for 5-6 years.

If we do it same style like that earlier Kronwall 3.0M x 5y contract... Pretty much ~3.5M was the figure that came out when I took some age factors (DeKeyser is younger), production factor (Kronwall produced more before signing that contract) and also cap inflation in account.

I would be thrilled to lock him down for 5-6 years at 3-3.5M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad