What is DeKeyser's new contract worth?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Danny DeKeyser is a restricted free agent at the end of the season and I've been wondering what everyone thinks Holland will offer him.

He currently makes $925,000 and is in the last year of his two year deal.

I was thinking he makes somewhere between 2-3 million a season and get 3-4 years. What do you think he's worth and what do you think he'll get?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Depends on if they want to do a bridge deal or a Filppula/Kronwall type contract. I don't think he has been playing particularly well the last couple months. Of course he got Quincey for that portion, so not surprising but I guess he should be lucky that he is a local boy and not Brendan Smith because Smith is outplaying him a lot lately in my opinion just people have made up their mind one should be a whipping boy and the other one is going to develop into something great.

I like his fit long-term, they do need to get him off the PP. I don't think his contract will be poorly received either way, I was leaning towards a longer term deal earlier in the season, we will see if that might have changed after the injury and more recent play they might want to put him on a bridge type deal.

2 years 1.5-1.75 per
4 or 5 years 2.5-3.25 per

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Depends on if they want to do a bridge deal or a Filppula/Kronwall type contract. I don't think he has been playing particularly well the last couple months. Of course he got Quincey for that portion, so not surprising but I guess he should be lucky that he is a local boy and not Brendan Smith because Smith is outplaying him a lot lately in my opinion just people have made up their mind one should be a whipping boy and the other one is going to develop into something great.

I like his fit long-term, they do need to get him off the PP. I don't think his contract will be poorly received either way, I was leaning towards a longer term deal earlier in the season, we will see if that might have changed after the injury and more recent play they might want to put him on a bridge type deal.

I would think DeKeyser and his agent would want something between 3-4 for about 2 million because if he really develops like Detroit thinks he can, he'll cash in in 3-4 with Detroit or someone else instead of signing 5+ years

NyquistIsMyGod*

IMO, DeKeyser should be looking for 2 years around 5.8M or so. DeKeyser has star potential. Maybe not Norris potential, but at this age he's very developed. His offensive game has signs, unlike other defensive defensemans. He can hit the net, has some power, but just needs more experience.

Style reminds me of Ryan McD.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
IMO, DeKeyser should be looking for 2 years around 5.8M or so. DeKeyser has star potential. Maybe not Norris potential, but at this age he's very developed. His offensive game has signs, unlike other defensive defensemans. He can hit the net, has some power, but just needs more experience.

Style reminds me of Ryan McD.

He might be able to get away with 2 years 3.6 in Detroit, but no team would give DeKeyser 5.8 at this stage of his career IMO.

His best option is definitely short-term for more cash because of his age. He'll be able to make a lot more after his next contract

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site

2 years 1.5-1.75 per

Those would be great numbers for Detroit.
I think Dekeyser is already on path to being as efficient/valuable a defenseman as Dan Girardi.

If Dekeyser signs a short 2 year deal to get him to UFAgency, we will be in trouble.
With the rising cap and teams not letting quality defenseman hit the open market. d men of Dekeyser's ilk can cash in. (re; Girardi 5.5M, Martin 5M, Michalek 4M)

Agents sit around thinking of ways to get their clients more money... Detroit will have to pay a premium to close a deal that cuts into his UFA eligible years

Last edited:

NyquistIsMyGod*

He might be able to get away with 2 years 3.6 in Detroit, but no team would give DeKeyser 5.8 at this stage of his career IMO.

His best option is definitely short-term for more cash because of his age. He'll be able to make a lot more after his next contract

No team would give DD 2.9ish? I seriously disagree. You're right he probably doesn't make that, but if this kid was a UFA he'd get some serious change. I'd LOVE 3 years @ 9M total.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Dekeyser is already on path to being as efficient/valuable a defenseman as Dan Girardi.

If Dekeyser signs a short 2 year deal to get him to UFAgency, we will be in trouble.
With the rising cap and teams not letting quality defenseman hit the open market. d men of Dekeyser's ilk can cash in. (re; Girardi, Seidenberg, Martin, Michalek)

Could be I think if we are fair he stays in Detroit, he has made it quite clear playing in Detroit is at the top of his priority list.

If I am him I do the bridge deal, though he can probably squeeze two substantial deals out of Detroit even signing a 4 or 5 year deal. Hard to turn down 10 + million for somewhere just north of three or four. I don't see him getting a bridge deal that substantially blows Smith's out of the water for instance.

We ran around most of last season projecting more substantial deals for Smith and Nyquist for instance. Some of the numbers being thrown out for Tatar and DeKeyser in terms of bridge contacts are probably a little off right now. Why they would be better off to talk long-term or you can buy into yourself, Subban did this with some displeasure and he is about to be rewarded substantially. Guess that is up to the player.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Could be I think if we are fair he stays in Detroit, he has made it quite clear playing in Detroit is at the top of his priority list.

If I am him I do the bridge deal, though he can probably squeeze two substantial deals out of Detroit even signing a 4 or 5 year deal. Hard to turn down 10 + million for somewhere just north of three. I don't see him getting a bridge deal that substantially blows Smith's out of the water for instance.

We ran around most of last season projecting more substantial deals for Smith and Nyquist for instance. Some of the numbers being thrown out for Tatar and DeKeyser in terms of bridge contacts are probably a little off right now. Why they would be better off to talk long-term or you can buy into yourself, Subban did this with some displeasure and he is about to be rewarded substantially. Guess that is up to the player.

Bridge deals are dangerous.
I would prefer long term myself. If he signs for 2 more years and hits the open market, nobody is going to like what a 26 year old developed Dekeyser could be worth on the open market.
That's why IMO a 5 year deal at 18- 20M wouldn't scare me... not saying it's a steal or anything.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bridge deal are dangerous. I would prefer long term myself. If he plays 2 more years and hits the open market. Nobody is going to like what a 26 year old developed Dekeyser could be worth on the open market.
That's why IMO a 5 year deal at 20M wouldn't scare me... not saying it's a steal or anything.

Bridge deals put them into their last RFA control year that is why the teams do it, they still have control, but then he can arbitration and get out. They can be dangerous, but lets be honest offer sheeting doesn't really happen a lot in this league. Even with the Wings totally up against it Nyquist got stuck with a pretty awful contract. We will pay for that I am sure when we can open up negotiations with him this summer.

But there is no reason to get overly concerned with his UFA years just yet. If we want to give him term that is fine, but the market doesn't dictate we go crazy on him in terms of a deal right now and we likely won't, just something to keep in mind. The Wings hold most the cards this time around.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Danny DeKeyser is a restricted free agent at the end of the season and I've been wondering what everyone thinks Holland will offer him.

He currently makes $925,000 and is in the last year of his two year deal.

I was thinking he makes somewhere between 2-3 million a season and get 3-4 years. What do you think he's worth and what do you think he'll get?

I'm thinking he will get a 4 year deal worth about $12Million, Or a $3Million a year AV.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

With the rising cap and teams not letting quality defenseman hit the open market. d men of Dekeyser's ilk can cash in. (re; Girardi 5.5M, Martin 5M, Michalek 4M)

Agents sit around thinking of ways to get their clients more money... Detroit will have to pay a premium to close a deal that cuts into his UFA eligible years

2 years wont get Dekeyser to UFAgency he just turned 24 and you don't become an UFA until you reach your 27 birthday so 3 more years would take Dekeyser to UFA not 2 year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
3.5M for 5-6 years.

If we do it same style like that earlier Kronwall 3.0M x 5y contract... Pretty much ~3.5M was the figure that came out when I took some age factors (DeKeyser is younger), production factor (Kronwall produced more before signing that contract) and also cap inflation in account.

Last edited:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
2 years wont get Dekeyser to UFAgency he just turned 24 and you don't become an UFA until you reach your 27 birthday so 3 more years would take Dekeyser to UFA not 2 year.

My mistake I was thinking 26 and misread his birthdate. (because some guys with late birthdays can be UFA's at 26)

Since 2 years doesn't get him to UFAgency than that does change my opinion.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
don't think he has been playing particularly well the last couple months. Of course he got Quincey for that portion, so not surprising but I guess he should be lucky that he is a local boy and not Brendan Smith because Smith is outplaying him a lot lately in my opinion just people have made up their mind one should be a whipping boy and the other one is going to develop into something great.

Smith has definitely been playing better since being separated from Quincey, but it's a two way street as so has Quincey. Quincey's probably played his most consistent hockey as a Red Wing since January. It's not too surprising since he's paired with a more reliable partner in Dekeyser. They've given us a very steady 2nd pairing that won't necessarily win you games, but at the same time won't lose you games.

Dekeyser plays tougher minutes than Smith (both in competition and zone starts) and has the best goals against ratio among Detroit defencemen. He's on the ice for more goals for than goals against, while it's the opposite for Smith. In addition he gets penalized at a lesser rate.

While Smith has cleaned up some of his turnover issues, they've not completely disappeared and I still believe that's the biggest reason why we don't see him on the PP - Babs simply doesn't trust him enough as the lone defenceman on the ice.

Dekesyer is not flawless and turns the puck over in the defensive zone more than he'd like at times, but at the end of the day he's a damn effective #3 right now - in pretty much his rookie year. I was personally expecting a bit of a sophomore slump from him this year, but he's let me down in a good way.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
No team would give DD 2.9ish? I seriously disagree. You're right he probably doesn't make that, but if this kid was a UFA he'd get some serious change. I'd LOVE 3 years @ 9M total.

Didn't realize you meant 2 years 2.9 million a year. I thought you were saying 5.8 a year

I didn't think you'd be talking 2 year contract because that doesn't get him to Free Agency yet. I bet he wants at least 3

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
All depends on the length of the contract.

Short term (1 or 2 years) = 2.25M - 3M range
Long term (4 years or more) = 3.5M - 4M range

I think we'd likely see it in the 1.5M-2.5M range for a bridge deal. He's below what both MDZ & Subban have accomplished thus far so I can't really see him making more than either of them, especially because Holland holds all of the cards in an RFA negotiation. I think in a bridge contract situation he signs in the 1.75M-2M area.

If we go long term I think Josi, Voynov, and even Kronwall would be comparable. I think he'd get less than both Josi & Voynov so in the 3-3.75M range but it really depends on how Holland thinks he will develop.

If I were DeKeyser I'd take the bridge deal as right now he's still an unproven commodity and if he takes a 5 or 6 year deal at 3.25M he could be missing out on 5M+ if he take the long term deal.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Smith has definitely been playing better since being separated from Quincey, but it's a two way street as so has Quincey. Quincey's probably played his most consistent hockey as a Red Wing since January. It's not too surprising since he's paired with a more reliable partner in Dekeyser. They've given us a very steady 2nd pairing that won't necessarily win you games, but at the same time won't lose you games.

Dekeyser plays tougher minutes than Smith (both in competition and zone starts) and has the best goals against ratio among Detroit defencemen. He's on the ice for more goals for than goals against, while it's the opposite for Smith. In addition he gets penalized at a lesser rate.

While Smith has cleaned up some of his turnover issues, they've not completely disappeared and I still believe that's the biggest reason why we don't see him on the PP - Babs simply doesn't trust him enough as the lone defenceman on the ice.

Dekesyer is not flawless and turns the puck over in the defensive zone more than he'd like at times, but at the end of the day he's a damn effective #3 right now - in pretty much his rookie year. I was personally expecting a bit of a sophomore slump from him this year, but he's let me down in a good way.

You have to dissect the offense from our D a bit further to get a clear picture. Outside Kronwall (40 pts), the rest of the top six are pretty much neck and neck with scoring, with 16 pts for DD, Smitty at 15; 11 apiece for Kindl and E; and 10 for Quincey.

Smith is second to Kronner (20 pts) at ES scoring D, as all of his 15 pts are at ES. DD has 12 ES pts, and 3 on the PP. Smith has almost no PP time. Kindl was getting about 2 min/gm and DD with 1:20. Kindl has 6 pts at ES, and 5 on the PP.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hard to say between 1-3M or 3-5M. I think it will be close to $3M, give or take ~$500-750k depending on term. If we can get him to commit for a long time, I don't think $4M would be the worst. Would be like one of those Kronwall/ Filppula deals where it looks really bad when the ink is still wet but by the end of the first season of the new deal you know the last 18-24 months are going to be a huge bargain for the team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

2 years 1.5-1.75 per
I think your terms sound about right where i was expecting them to be. Also agree he needs to be taken off the PP, especially with Smith not getting any time yet and really starting to play well.

You have to dissect the offense from our D a bit further to get a clear picture. Outside Kronwall (40 pts), the rest of the top six are pretty much neck and neck with scoring, with 16 pts for DD, Smitty at 15; 11 apiece for Kindl and E; and 10 for Quincey.

Smith is second to Kronner (20 pts) at ES scoring D, as all of his 15 pts are at ES. DD has 12 ES pts, and 3 on the PP. Smith has almost no PP time. Kindl was getting about 2 min/gm and DD with 1:20. Kindl has 6 pts at ES, and 5 on the PP.

Yep its really pathetic actually that Smith hasnt at least got a shot on the PP when youve got guys like Dekeyser who doesnt really have offensive instincts back there, Kindl who was brutal and forwards like Tatar.

I dont buy the too risky excuse for Smith on the P when Tatar saw time back there and Kindl who is a turnover machine as well. Smith has the ability to sneak back door and enter the zone matched only by Kronner. If he got PP time from Kindl I think he would easily be at 25 points right now.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The Smith thing makes no sense, there's no reason that he shouldn't be on the PP at this point. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes we've seen from Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad