Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
You can make guys like Juulsen and Friedman work as your 6/7 types in the regular season but you need to upgrade at the deadline heading into the playoffs.

I think it's a bit unfair to say whether Friedman would or wouldn't be okay in the playoffs given he didn't even get the opportunity. I like Juulsen a lot and thought he had a really solid regular season (for the most part) - but yeah, his playoff appearances were unfortunately awful.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think it's a bit unfair to say whether Friedman would or wouldn't be okay in the playoffs given he didn't even get the opportunity. I like Juulsen a lot and thought he had a really solid regular season (for the most part) - but yeah, his playoff appearances were unfortunately awful.

I think he’s right, in a different sense. I think this team is an Ekholm-level defender away from being bona fide cup chasers. Someone to play all situations that pushes 4 other guys down a slot.

Reactions: oceanchild

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Friedman is a 28 year-old journeyman / minor-league type guy.

To expect a player that has never been a regular in the regular season to suddenly be a solid option in the playoffs is wishful thinking.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I suspect that the old thinking heads still see Myers as not-top 4 material to form this opinion.

We have no depth on LHD. On RHD, we can always split Hronek from Hughes. Myers playing lessor minutes in that case is a very good luxury to have.

By basically every metric, Myers outperformed Soucy defensively, and is more of a 5. If we were to acquire a top 4 LHD, pushing Soucy to the 3rd pairing, he has shown in the past that he can be reliable in those minutes, and also push a guy like Forbort out of the lineup.

In addition, we have an internal potential top 4 RHD incoming with Willander.

That said, I'd be open to upgrading Myers' position, but to say the pressing need is a RHD over a LHD is not based in reality at all.
We are stronger in the left side than we are on the right. Write the names on a piece of paper and stare at them. It ain’t even close.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We are stronger in the left side than we are on the right. Write the names on a piece of paper and stare at them. It ain’t even close.

Because of Hughes, yes.

But from 3-8 on our defensive depth chart we're pretty obviously stronger on the right side.

After watching tonight, having Forbort as our 3LD is terrifying. He looked worse than I've ever seen Juulsen (our 4RD) look, and I'm not a Juulsen fan.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Because of Hughes, yes.

But from 3-8 on our defensive depth chart we're pretty obviously stronger on the right side.

After watching tonight, having Forbort as our 3LD is terrifying. He looked worse than I've ever seen Juulsen (our 4RD) look, and I'm not a Juulsen fan.
Definitely Benning esque as in many of us saw this from a mile away. Never liked this signing.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Question is, do we really need another top 4 LD when Hughes can and will play 25+ minutes a night? The other 35 minutes split between two LD is 17.5.

$5-6m for a "legit" second pair LD, and say $2m for a third paid LD, vs $7-8m for two LD that can play the 17.5 minutes each, is not a question IMO.

Having depth is important, a $5-6m second pair LD getting injured, would create a huge hole.
Where as having two players who can play the second pair, leaves the hole on the third pair, which would have a lower impact.

However, there isn't one structure template for all teams, teams have to build around what they got. OEL's buyout limitations certainly has a say on how much we can afford to spend on D.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Question is, do we really need another top 4 LD when Hughes can and will play 25+ minutes a night? The other 35 minutes split between two LD is 17.5.

$5-6m for a "legit" second pair LD, and say $2m for a third paid LD, vs $7-8m for two LD that can play the 17.5 minutes each, is not a question IMO.

Having depth is important, a $5-6m second pair LD getting injured, would create a huge hole.
Where as having two players who can play the second pair, leaves the hole on the third pair, which would have a lower impact.

However, there isn't one structure template for all teams, teams have to build around what they got. OEL's buyout limitations certainly has a say on how much we can afford to spend on D.
I think the question is what type of D do we need more in the playoffs? Do we need another guy that can drive offense from the 2nd pair or another guy to pair with Hughes so Hronek can drive offense from the 2nd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad