Speculation: What (if anything) does Colorado do about their goaltending?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
So obviously the Avs gave up a lot in Timmins and a 1st to get Kuemper.

But Kuemper has been mediocre. While he's won 11 of his 17 starts, his save percentage is .904, which isn't good enough even on a team that can score like Colorado can.

There's Pavel Francouz who has shown to be a really good backup and possibly decent 1/B but has been hurt a lot. He has played some games in the AHL, but he hasn't played an NHL game since 2020.

Jonas Johansson is not NHL calibre.

The Avs have a team with a lot of great pieces on D, a supreme top 6 and an iffy bottom 6. Add a couple of forward depth pieces and this could be a cup team. But the goaltending could completely kneecap them.

Kuemper and Francouz have both shown themselves to be incredibly injury prone as well.

If I'm an Avs fan and we're in an elimination game with Johansson in net, I'm angry at Sakic.

Reminds me of Carolina in the past with a fantastic team that just can't figure out goaltending (though Carolina may have solved that this year).

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
It’s a good summary but still a little premature to make a final judgment. If Sakic has proven one thing, he’s patient. I totally get where you’re coming from. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Avs goaltending ends up being a strength just as much as I wouldn’t be surprised if a worst case scenario comes to fruition either.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
There is always a point missing about the goaltending situation in CO: the team has no goalie signed past the season!
If the trade for someone, it needs to come with term otherwise we will discuss the same think all over again in the off-season.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I have to assume Fleury is the best and most likely plan.

That being said, it's a shame Price has such a large contract, otherwise he'd be a perfect fit. But if he had 2 more seasons at 8.5M, there'd be something to do, though most on HF would still hate the idea since he's over 28 and therefore way, way over the hill.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
MAF makes sense but what about something around Varlamov and Girard?

Leaffan197703

May 29, 2021
Colorado should have kept grubauer and they would have still had their first round pick which they did not put any lottery protection. If the unthinkable happens and Colorado misses the playoffs the Kuemfer trade could cost Colorado Shane wright

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Colorado should have kept grubauer and they would have still had their first round pick which they did not put any lottery protection. If the unthinkable happens and Colorado misses the playoffs the Kuemfer trade could cost Colorado Shane wright

It is top 10 protected

Reactions: Weast

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
We don't need another goalie we just need to score 7 goals to win games ! :sarcasm:

I hope Kuemper figures it out or Francouz comes back strong after his AHL conditioning. Looks good so far.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Perhaps if the Kings drop off the pace, Quick might fancy a change. He's looking good this year. There is familiarity with Blake and the Avs too.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
So obviously the Avs gave up a lot in Timmins and a 1st to get Kuemper.

But Kuemper has been mediocre. While he's won 11 of his 17 starts, his save percentage is .904, which isn't good enough even on a team that can score like Colorado can.

There's Pavel Francouz who has shown to be a really good backup and possibly decent 1/B but has been hurt a lot. He has played some games in the AHL, but he hasn't played an NHL game since 2020.

Jonas Johansson is not NHL calibre.

The Avs have a team with a lot of great pieces on D, a supreme top 6 and an iffy bottom 6. Add a couple of forward depth pieces and this could be a cup team. But the goaltending could completely kneecap them.

Kuemper and Francouz have both shown themselves to be incredibly injury prone as well.

If I'm an Avs fan and we're in an elimination game with Johansson in net, I'm angry at Sakic.

Reminds me of Carolina in the past with a fantastic team that just can't figure out goaltending (though Carolina may have solved that this year).

The bottom 6 has actual been fine. Newhook seems to have found his game since coming back from the AHL, O'Connor is a speed demon, Helm still has some wheels and chips in on SH situation, NAK adds a little bit of grit. Forward chemistry is great right now. Only flaw is could use a centre who can actual win face-offs, and not just Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad