Speculation: What does Vegas do?

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Looks like Eichel is back and according to CF they need to move just under 5M to make it work. Who do they move? Dadonov seems like the obvious choice.

Smith honestly is dead set for the rangers and I think they put Martinez on LTIR if I’m correct And reactive when they are in the playoffs

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They can wait till playoffs to activate Eichel.

they can trade smith
Or trade Dadanov
Or trade spare parts totaling that

there really is a limit to the options

No they can't wait till playoffs. Once a player is deemed Healthy, they HAVE TO reactivate him. You can't just keep players on LTIR indefinably.

Can we stop the whole cause tampa did it means so can every other team.... Kuch was never going to be healthy enough to actually play in the middle of last season.

Reactions: BCNate

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Eichel is healthy when he decides that he's healthy. No doctor in the world would clear him in this situation if he was saying he doesn't feel 100% yet so it's entirely up to when he decides to say he feels ready to go.

But it's not up to Vegas.

And Eichel isn't going to sit out for another two months just for cap reasons. He's going to be itching to go and he probably also doesn't want to battle test his neck in the playoffs, makes way more sense to start regular season games as soon as he can. Vegas will dump salary by the deadline.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I hope they abuse the f*** out of the Salary cap and keep everyone. f*** it, fabricate an injury to Dadonov and/or Smith, fit Eichel in for the regular season to mesh with his new mates then everyone comes back for playoffs.
i agree with you as a contender . if that's the rule take advantage of it . pissed me off to see tampa be 18 million over the cap for the playoffs but they didn't break any rules . can't see the rule changing either because the players association would nix it .

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Waive Dadonov & buy him out in the summer. That saves them 1.125m right now, which is a good start. Then whittle it down by putting players on waivers & moving guys like Janmark and Patrick.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Arizona will be pleased to take salaries from them, for a few picks or some assets.

Dadonov + Reilly Smith

For

2022 SJ 2nd

Then Arizona flips Smith for a 1st + prospect (or a good prospect since the 2022 1st are getting scarse)

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Arizona will be pleased to take salaries from them, for a few picks or some assets.

Dadonov + Reilly Smith

For

2022 SJ 2nd

Then Arizona flips Smith for a 1st + prospect (or a good prospect since the 2022 1st are getting scarse)
More like Dadonov and a 1st in exchange for either future 'sids or a 7th rounder. If he wants to go to Arizona. Vegas may have their work cut out for them getting him to waive for a team with some available cap.

This could be a good deal for Seattle. They could get a first this time around and flip Dadonov (salary retained of course) at the '23 deadline for yet another pick.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
That only works in the offseason when you have RFAs to sign.

Does it work for roster players?

I was thinking of Micheal Ferland for an expiring roster player like Mattias Janmark +, or Ferland, Sutter, and Tanner Pearson for Evgenii Dandanov if that'd work.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That only works in the offseason when you have RFAs to sign.

who are holding out preventing the club from getting to the cap in order to obtain max benefit from LTIR, possibly locking the player out with the in-season RFA signing cap calculation (it's complicated). This was the actual motivation for the second Clarkson trade, that so many have viewed as Toronto creating artificial cap space.

The other scenario is a team with an uninsured injured player opting for an overpaid healthy player to better use its real cash (Horton/Clarkson).

LTIR is a headache in isolation. It is not desirable to be in.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Does it work for roster players?

I was thinking of Micheal Ferland for an expiring roster player like Mattias Janmark +, or Ferland, Sutter, and Tanner Pearson for Evgenii Dandanov if that'd work.

Ferland for Janmark might work. That would allow them to re-sign Hague.

Reactions: gianni

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I thought the reason why the Ferland LTIR contract wasn't actually that attractive as a salary cap tool was that it was uninsured—meaning that the team that owns it actually has to pay the full $3.5mm. Especially when there are other LTIR players whose cap hit could be moved who do have insured contracts where the team would pay significantly less real dollars.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Dadonov - 5.000 x1
Brossoit - 2.325 x1
Janmark - 2.000 UFA

for

Kessel (50%) - 3.400 UFA
Wedgewood - 0.825 UFA
Boyd - 0.750 UFA

What does Vegas add? This would be an all-in move (they're facing a bigger crunch next year) so I would assume their best prospects would be made available.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Dadonov - 5.000 x1
Brossoit - 2.325 x1
Janmark - 2.000 UFA

for

Kessel (50%) - 3.400 UFA
Wedgewood - 0.825 UFA
Boyd - 0.750 UFA

What does Vegas add? This would be an all-in move (they're facing a bigger crunch next year) so I would assume their best prospects would be made available.

Wedgewood is awful, and turning Dadonov into Kessel at 50% isn't worth it. Burying Dadonov's cap hit until the playoffs costs 3.875m. I like Boyd but they have too many 4th liners as it is and they should be waiving them, not adding more.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Mark Stone on LTIR with a mystery injury would get Vegas just under the cap with Eichel back.

You are half-right, half-wrong. It seems to me all this trade speculation is purely that.

VGK is going to get under the Cap by placing Stone on LTIR. But it won’t be a ‘mystery injury.’

The injury is well known and he has been dealing with it before the season even started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad