What are you looking forward to most this season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What's the top 3 things you're looking forward to this season?

• Berubes influence

• Tanev with Rielly

• Changes to PK/PP

• Captain Matthews influence

• Shanahan's extension

• Shanahan's final season

• Tavares extension

• Tavares final season

• Marner extension

• Marner final season

• Rookies in the lineup

• Who becomes the #1 Goalie

• 4 Nations Cup

• Playoffs

• Skipping the regular season

• Knies progression

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
This is mostly true but I think there are cases where players do get contracts that they would not have gotten without winning. Jonathan Toews is the first name that pops into my head, I'm pretty sure he doesn't get that ridiculous contract he was given had the team not won a bunch of cups first.
Maybe..

He was voted top 100 player of all time young, which I found crazy. Plus once they paid Kane, and he was the Captain it seems like he was always going to get paid.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Maybe..

He was voted top 100 player of all time young, which I found crazy. Plus once they paid Kane, and he was the Captain it seems like he was always going to get paid.
Yeah I thought that was crazy too.

Say they win one cup instead of 4, I think Kane still gets paid at least close to what he got after 4 cups, I can't say the same for Toews though.

Reactions: Jojalu

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s not subliminal - Berube is the face of the changes they promised in May.
God couldn’t coach these stiffs to win in the playoffs, it’ll be more of the same imo, sure they might make it past the first round, but definitely no further. If that’s mgmt’s take on success I wouldn’t be a bit surprised……..

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
God couldn’t coach these stiffs to win in the playoffs, it’ll be more of the same imo, sure they might make it past the first round, but definitely no further. If that’s mgmt’s take on success I wouldn’t be a bit surprised……..
I seriously have no idea what to expect in the playoffs. I’m holding out hope that he fixes the PP and they’re not forced to chase the series. I am worried about the lack of speed, which could be their Achilles.

A coaching change that's about 3 seasons too late doesn't constitute "major change" in my book.
Apparently it does in their book.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd like to see the battle for 2C.

There is no battle for 2C, like it or not that's Tavares for at least another year.

And make no mistake I'd like to see him at 3C too, or at least #2LW.

The team would be so much deeper but I'm not in denial like some people here who think there is a better option in house.

There isn't, you want a different 2C then they have to go get it.

Watching the Auston, the Auston is appointment viewing

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I'm looking forward to another Marner thread

We failed to get rid of Mitch, let's talk about the captain's influence. WTF are you smoking?

Mitch is still here and while I think that C on Matty is a good idea, he is not evolving into next Pokemon stage thanks to the letter C :D

Let's see how much Mitch cries now, it's on Matthews this season! <<< is that the influence you want to talk about? Or we hoping Matthews scores 80 goals now?

I'm looking forward to see how this mentally stable winger handles being boo'd playing third line minutes

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I'm looking forward to another Marner thread

We failed to get rid of Mitch, let's talk about the captain's influence. WTF are you smoking?

Mitch is still here and while I think that C on Matty is a good idea, he is not evolving into next Pokemon stage thanks to the letter C :D

Let's see how much Mitch cries now, it's on Matthews this season! <<< is that the influence you want to talk about? Or we hoping Matthews scores 80 goals now?

I'm looking forward to see how this mentally stable winger handles being boo'd playing third line minutes
Ya it’s funny when people talk about changes and they include a change of leadership on the ice and in the room. lol . Just more smoke and mirrors

Reactions: rumman and Al14

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
There is no battle for 2C, like it or not that's Tavares for at least another year.

And make no mistake I'd like to see him at 3C too, or at least #2LW.

The team would be so much deeper but I'm not in denial like some people here who think there is a better option in house.

There isn't, you want a different 2C then they have to go get it.

Watching the Auston, the Auston is appointment viewing
It may be his to lose, but I think there's a good chance he loses it by the end of the season, and likely to someone in house.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It may be his to lose, but I think there's a good chance he loses it by the end of the season, and likely to someone in house.

If he gets hurt maybe, but baring that I doubt it.

Even then if he did get hurt they'd probably go get a 2C if the injury were long term.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The Games erp

Screenshot_2024-09-02-07-43-42~3.png

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I’m looking forward to being entertained and enjoying Leaf hockey during the season.

I’m not looking forward to the inevitable and unavoidable fishbowl microscopic oppositional hyperbolic analysis that follows every storyline that comes with following the team.

I’m also looking forward to Easton Cowan playing a year full-time at C in London and winning everything to become the answer to the next big roster question for 25-26.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is mostly true but I think there are cases where players do get contracts that they would not have gotten without winning. Jonathan Toews is the first name that pops into my head, I'm pretty sure he doesn't get that ridiculous contract he was given had the team not won a bunch of cups first.

Yeah, I could agree that a team winning could influence how much you are willing to pay the members of that team.

However, you can have star players who never win, and still get elite level paycheques.

McDavid has won one Conference Title, and could likely get Max if he demanded it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Do you believe coaching has no impact on teams?

I'm not saying marner is going to drive the net with Berube, but maybe he stands in a second longer in the tough areas? Maybe Matthews initiates contact, and drives the net, giving a couple shots to the face of the opposition, rather than offering up his chin?

Reactions: conFABulator

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Do you believe coaching has no impact on teams?

I'm not saying marner is going to drive the net with Berube, but maybe he stands in a second longer in the tough areas? Maybe Matthews initiates contact, and drives the net, giving a couple shots to the face of the opposition, rather than offering up his chin?
A coach doesn’t make them do that. That’s common sense for a hockey player.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With minimal changes this year, it will be a repeat of past years. Playoffs and 1st round exit, no chance getting past the 2nd round. Defensive depth is still a major issue. They need a #1 dman to push Reilly back into a proper 2-3 role and can not see the ice in a tight game with 2 mins left. Goalie has big question marks again, for the last 10 years. Stolarz looks promising but who knows, Woll looks promising too but limited sample and the unknown of goalies in general at times. Yes I will watch but no chance this team has the defensive depth to win in the playoffs.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Coach can't make them do anything.
Coach can influence.

So there is no impact between different coaches?
There is an impact, but if they can’t do something the won’t do it. Tocchet is a good example of a coach having a great impact, but in the end certain players just weren’t capable.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With minimal changes this year, it will be a repeat of past years. Playoffs and 1st round exit, no chance getting past the 2nd round. Defensive depth is still a major issue. They need a #1 dman to push Reilly back into a proper 2-3 role and can not see the ice in a tight game with 2 mins left. Goalie has big question marks again, for the last 10 years. Stolarz looks promising but who knows, Woll looks promising too but limited sample and the unknown of goalies in general at times. Yes I will watch but no chance this team has the defensive depth to win in the playoffs.

Nothing in the system screams #1 defender.
No one is giving up a #1 for anything less than Matthews.

I suppose what you're saying is enjoy the regular season and pick some other team to support in the playoffs.

Not a problem, been watching for over 60 years and it hasn't stopped me from watching.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Seeing there has been little change to the players anyone watching accepts losing.
Do you skip the episodes of a tv show where the protagonists struggle? Or is it maybe part of the journey?

Just because you know it’s a filler episode doesn’t mean you’re going to skip it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad