What are some examples of former NHL players finding success outside of sports?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Derek Sanderson, after losing it all to drinking and drugs, went on to head a successful investment group that helps sports figures and other high-profile people manage their wealth. Part of his turn around was directly due to Bobby Orr getting him into rehab and sticking by his old friend.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I remember reading somewhere that Mats Sundin had accumulated an ungodly amounts of wealth because of some shrewd investments in Sweden.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Tim Horton was an interesting story. He started it with his business partner, but after his death ... his widow sold their shares for a good amount of money. There was nothing shady, but I believe Horton's widow sued after Tim Horton's hit it big. However, the fairy tale ending is that a child of Horton and his business partner ultimately married each other. They help run the business. Can a Canadian elaborate on the story?

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Börje Salming has done really well for himself and has his own stores (though they do sell sport related things so maybe that doesn’t count as ‘outside of sports’ though he seem to be more focused on other sports than hockey, especially floorball which is popular in Sweden:

Börje Salming doesn't own "SALMING". All he did was license his name out.

Reactions: Shark Finn

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Douglas Murray came up with a beer tap keg...thing.....I dunno I hate thinking about him because he was far too popular in his brief time in Pittsburgh. There are still Crankshaft t-shirts worn around the arena on game days. (#sad)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Former NHLer Tim Brent is now a commercial real estate broker in the Triangle after making connections with Steve Stroud while he played for the Hurricanes. Stroud is one of the members of the Centennial Authority that governs PNC Arena and a longtime supporter of the Canes.

He's gone from

Joe-Vitale-Tim-Brent.jpg

to

tim-brent2.jpg

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Tim Horton was an interesting story. He started it with his business partner, but after his death ... his widow sold their shares for a good amount of money. There was nothing shady, but I believe Horton's widow sued after Tim Horton's hit it big. However, the fairy tale ending is that a child of Horton and his business partner ultimately married each other. They help run the business. Can a Canadian elaborate on the story?

I know nothing about that, but what I do know is that I love their coffee and am still hoping to one day win that damn Civic. :laugh:

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Lee Sweatt, dunno if he counts as one but whatever. He was only 25 when he retired. Played 3 games with the Nucks scoring 1+1. Was a real fans' favourite when he played in Finland. "In an interview with CBC Sports, Sweatt explained the reason for his retirement. Sweatt intends to work as a financial advisor and expects to make more money than if he were playing in the AHL. "I didn't need to prove myself all over again. I didn't want to be a bubble guy again. I didn't want to be the guy in the still living the dream at age 30 and sacrificing my goals outside the game." His only goal in the NHL was quite nice.

Last edited:

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
He now runs a sports medicine practice. When he first signed with the Oilers, he was already a fully licensed physician, having completed medical school before age 21. That is something great...not only being a doctor in sports medicine, but having the experience of playing in a major league to understand what can happen.

The craziest thing about Gregg was that, according to his Wiki page, hockey was only a "temporary career" for him. That's right, playing in the Olympics and winning Stanley Cups was just a temp job to him. Not Starbucks, not MacDonalds, playing in the NHL with the greatest dynasty in history.

Imagine going out on singles night, "Yeah, I'm just playing in the NHL right now. Won a few championships, represented my country in the Olympics, all that stuff. Then I plan to be a doctor."

Screw the Dos Equis guy...

000470802.jpg

^This is the most interesting man in the world.

TheDud3

Sep 7, 2013
abroad
Sven Tumba had a interesting career in different sports. However, he did not play in the NHL, as he denied a contract with Boston Bruins since that would make him unable to play inte the Swedish national team. In hockey he won 3 world championships, one olympic silver and 8 swedish championships. Outside of hockey he played in the swedish national team in fotball resulting in one win in the swedish too leauge. He also was swedish champion in water skiing. He also was a ambassador for golf and was a big part of introducing the sport in sweden and russia. Lastly (not sure if 100% true) he invented the first hockey helmet

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Mike Comrie has his enormous family wealth to fall back on, because playing in the NHL and marrying Hillary Duff wasn't a charmed enough life for him.

Tie Domi makes his money shilling for crappy third tier internet and telephone providers

HP-Slider_Sept2016.png

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Peter Stastny was member of the European Parliament for Slovakia, though he's absolutely moron and don't have any skill in that area, just sad times for slovakian politics

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
George Parros started Violent Gentlemen clothing company with some of his buddies. Seems to be pretty popular here in SoCal. Selanne has Aufeis clothing company too.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Sean Avery is a marriage equality activist and has worked as a photo model and actor.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Peter Stastny was member of the European Parliament for Slovakia, though he's absolutely moron and don't have any skill in that area, just sad times for slovakian politics

You are too hard on him. Out of all hockey players that went into politics in Slovakia, he actually seemed the least embarrassing to me. Maybe because we only heard about him around election time, since the EU Parliament has close to no visibility in the media, but still. As far as "absolute moron"(s) go, no one comes close to another hockey great turned politician - Vincent Lukac.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
You are too hard on him. Out of all hockey players that went into politics in Slovakia, he actually seemed the least embarrassing to me. Maybe because we only heard about him around election time, since the EU Parliament has close to no visibility in the media, but still. As far as "absolute moron"(s) go, no one comes close to another hockey great turned politician - Vincent Lukac.

There is only one Maradona in Kosice! :D :yo:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Wendel Clark and Paul Coffey are figureheads for dealerships and Mechanics. Clark has a bar/resteraunt as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad