What are some examples of former NHL players finding success outside of sports?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
:handclap: well played.

He actually sold a bunch of his old hockey gear and his Olympic gold medal last year to go into wine making with his son

Oh god. Has anyone every consumed the Gretzky wine and Scotch?

My first reaction was... "What was I actually expecting?" :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ok, thanks guys. Can someone explain to me the Recchi joke (because he was injury prone) and Belfour joke? Both went over my head!

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
Ok, thanks guys. Can someone explain to me the Recchi joke (because he was injury prone) and Belfour joke? Both went over my head

He got into a scuffle with police in Dallas and while being taken to jail he "allegedly" offered $100,000 for them to let him go and then upped it to $1 billion while "allegedly" saying he was Ed ****ing Belfour

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Ken Dryden, Syl Apps, Lionel Conacher, Frank Mahovlich and Howie Meeker all had successful political careers.

And of course Red Kelly. But he was still playing hockey while double shifting as a two term MP.

Of interest, when he won re-election, the opponent he beat was a young ambitious lawyer named Alan Eagleson.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
I have actually had some of Wayne Gretzkys wine figured if it was good enough for the great one it's got to be good enough for me :laugh:

Everything is Great for Gretzky. Everything. It's a syndrome or a curse, something like Forest Mump. He suffers with Greatness so we don't have to. He's Great that way.

So yeah, don't buy that wine.;)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I think Stu Grimson became a lawyer.

Theo Fleury wrote a book which has since been adapted into a play. If I was a betting man, it'll get a film adaptation eventually.

There are the endless amount of guys who have became broadcast analysts, pundits, PBP or colour guys.

He did, but last I checked, he wasn't practicing any more and was doing something hockey related.

Sean Avery is wreaking havoc on the NY model, fashion and restaurant scenes ; )

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Dickie Moore
OT1610_702_1.jpg

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tim Horton success came after he passed away--the business nearly went under while her was alive

Dr Randy Gregg was a Dr before he became an nhl player

Jimmy Carson has become successful in finance in the Detroit area

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Wow Randy Gregg (if it's the same one as the ratemds.com site) has some interesting reviews from his patients

should be mentioned that Gregg refuses to answer hockey questions from his patients and this has lead many annoyed people who have found ways to take out their frustration.

When I attended the U of A I ran into him a few times and dated one of his nurses(this is waaay back) and she said that nearly all the complaints about him came from hockey fans who were more interested in asking about his hockey career then his practice

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
He now runs a sports medicine practice. When he first signed with the Oilers, he was already a fully licensed physician, having completed medical school before age 21. That is something great...not only being a doctor in sports medicine, but having the experience of playing in a major league to understand what can happen.

I seriously doubt this is even possible. That means after graduating high school, he only spent three years doing his undergraduate studies to gain entrance into the faculty of medicine AND he finished medical school. I'm pretty sure you need at least five years of medical school to become an intern at minimum.

Edit: wow, I didn't know he was accepted into medical school when he was 16 years old. 21 would make sense if going by the five years that I said above. Did he skip high school or start high school when he was 13 or something?

Last edited:

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Serge Savard has made far, far more money as a businessman than playing hockey.

I believe Joe Juneau is literally a rocket scientist. Very smart guy. He's also involved with charity and native kids.

Peter Stastny is active in Slovak politics and has been member of the European parliament.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Serge Savard has made far, far more money as a businessman than playing hockey.

I believe Joe Juneau is literally a rocket scientist. Very smart guy. He's also involved with charity and native kids.

Peter Stastny is active in Slovak politics and has been member of the European parliament.

Most guys who played before the mid eighties did not make a ton of money.Bobby Hull was the first player to make $1 million in a year and that was only because half of his 10 year $2.whatever million contract was up front.Gretzky did not make a million a year until his final season in Edmonton.Lou Nanne actually turned down an offer to play for the Blackhawks in the early sixties because he made more money working for an investment broker.

Nicos

Dec 14, 2016
Well Teemu has had his own Steak House in California since 2013, but besides that, in 2016 he started his own TS8 dietary supplement products line and clothing collection, the Sel8nne Collection.

He also started own Academy in Finland, the Selänne Academy, for junior hockey players with the focus, of course, in scoring goals.

And of course he is still involved in a lot of charity work and foundations, and hosted his own TV Show "Superstars" where he had a bunch of other famous Finnish athletes as guests.

sel8nne_1760x990.jpg

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Technically not a player but former Habs coach Jacques Demers is a senator in Canada.

That's pretty surprising considering he admitted to being illiterate.

One would think reading is just a huge component of being a senator.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Wendel Clark owns a small chain of restaurants, live 20 minute walk away from one, and friend worked at another. Higher end sports bar.

Just opened a fourth location I'm pretty sure.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Jim Peplinski is a successful used car salesman.
Lol, you make it sound like he's a sleazy goof with a bad jacket :laugh:
Used-Car-Salesman_2572218b.jpg

Fact is he's a little more than a used car salesman,he has a very successful leasing company and has 29 dealerships across Canada. I was told he's worth about $200 million. ;)

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Börje Salming has done really well for himself and has his own stores (though they do sell sport related things so maybe that doesn’t count as ‘outside of sports’ though he seem to be more focused on other sports than hockey, especially floorball which is popular in Sweden:

bl%25C3%25A5-natt.jpg

l.jpg

jiq6k6xq52svyojgboez.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad