GDT: WhaleCanes @ Bruins: AKA Whale v.s. Bear

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Forgot to mention how much I hate Bruins... and Faulk. Man, if we miss playoffs because of that play...

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Forgot to mention how much I hate Bruins... and Faulk. Man, if we miss playoffs because of that play...

Nn8xANA.jpg

We're not going to miss the playoff because we got one point instead of two, against the hottest team in the league, in a road game, where we were missing one of our best players.

No matter how it happened, getting a point against that particular team tonight in that situation was a positive outcome, period.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Faulk is a very good player.
You're not going to be at your very best every game.
Rod has a lot of trust with him and he's giving him 25-30 minutes a game.
Getting a point against the Boston Bruins is something most teams will take in the NHL.
Put him on the 3rd pairing, take him off the PP and never let him set foot on the ice during OT again and I'll tolerate him.

His f*** up was 100% predictable and just pathetic. In his current role he hurts the team. And the best part? This team has a lot of good dmen, there's literally no reason for him to get his minutes.

One point is nice, but I absolutely hate the mentality that "Well, the Bruins are a really good team, one point is actually really good against them". No, screw that. This team is capable of beating anyone and we shouldn't be content with getting 1 point from a team because "They're supposed to be better".

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Put him on the 3rd pairing, take him off the PP and never let him set foot on the ice during OT again and I'll tolerate him.

His **** up was 100% predictable and just pathetic. In his current role he hurts the team. And the best part? This team has a lot of good dmen, there's literally no reason for him to get his minutes.

One point is nice, but I absolutely hate the mentality that "Well, the Bruins are a really good team, one point is actually really good against them". No, screw that. This team is capable of beating anyone and we shouldn't be content with getting 1 point from a team because "They're supposed to be better".

Look, as much as we'd love to see it, no one wins 100% of their games.

If the Canes are gonna lose, I can take a loss to a really good team much more easily than a loss to not-so-good team, especially if we get a point out of it. That's all.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Look, as much as we'd love to see it, no one wins 100% of their games.

If the Canes are gonna lose, I can take a loss to a really good team much more easily than a loss to not-so-good team, especially if we get a point out of it. That's all.
There's a lot of really good teams coming up in the schedule.

Obviously i don't expect them to win 100% of their games, but I'm also not gonna be content with the PP going 0/100 and Faulk giving up the puck like he's a f***ing junior player in the OT.

The PP is abysmal. Why is it not being changed? Take Justin's out of #1 PP.

Reactions: The S5

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I don't have a problem, I mean we take the L against Bruins, one of the best in the entire league. My problem is more for the way we take that loss. It was stupid and mediocre. Yeah, i believe we could win it without that play from Faulk.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Well, the PP is 7/29 in the last 10 games. (And 2 of the goals are by Faulk) That's 24% and therefore better than the league average. Wouldn't call that abysmal.
I mean...It is abysmal. With such a small sample size the stats get skewed quickly. There are better teams than the Canes that have a bad PP, but I'd just like to see some adjustments.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
I mean...It is abysmal. With such a small sample size the stats get skewed quickly. There are better teams than the Canes that have a bad PP, but I'd just like to see some adjustments.

Since the beginning of the year the PP is 18/86 which is about 21% percent which is still slightly above the league average. The numbers just don't work in favor of your argument. While I agree with you that the PP looks bad sometimes and seems streaky, over the last 2 months, the PP has not been abysmal.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Since the beginning of the year the PP is 18/86 which is about 21% percent which is still slightly above the league average. The numbers just don't work in favor of your argument. While I agree with you that the PP looks bad sometimes and seems streaky, over the last 2 months, the PP has not been abysmal.
I guess the results are better than what it has looked like, then. I almost feel like we're shorthanded when they are on PP.

Reactions: TheAustrian

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
These 3 games are arguably the toughest 3 in a row in March. Two away games against legitimate Cup contenders. Happy with a point at the Garden. Look at it this way, I'd rather go into the p/o having run the gauntlet and having that mentality every game than cruise in (TBL) and have to find the edge again.

On a different note, I saw that Johansson went to the hospital with a concussion after the Ferland hit. Really hope he's fine with no long term effects. It's a game for us, quality of life for him.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That play by Faulk was terrible. That said it was one play. Others had one play that were also bad and led to goals. Just not the last goal. And really, the problem with Faulk's play in the OT was Faulk being in the OT. That is on who told him to go over the wall as much as him. Everyone should know by now that Faulk doesn't have the game for the 3v3 in OT. Too slow, likes to shoot and lose possession.

Last edited:

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
I'm thinking he has a shoulder injury in addition to the concussion, by the looks of it.

These 3 games are arguably the toughest 3 in a row in March. Two away games against legitimate Cup contenders. Happy with a point at the Garden. Look at it this way, I'd rather go into the p/o having run the gauntlet and having that mentality every game than cruise in (TBL) and have to find the edge again.

On a different note, I saw that Johansson went to the hospital with a concussion after the Ferland hit. Really hope he's fine with no long term effects. It's a game for us, quality of life for him.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
There's a lot of really good teams coming up in the schedule.

Obviously i don't expect them to win 100% of their games, but I'm also not gonna be content with the PP going 0/100 and Faulk giving up the puck like he's a ****ing junior player in the OT.

The PP is abysmal. Why is it not being changed? Take Justin's out of #1 PP.

This is an embarrassing over simplification of one game. As I’ve stated time and time again after one poor game (or one poor PP in some cases) the % is 10th in the league since January 1. Over 20% which is 1 for 5.

The Bruins over that stretch are 5th in PK because they’re really f***ing good at killing penalties. The Canes have an average PP at worst. Acting likes it’s abysmal and it’s Faulk’s fault is short sighted at best.

He’s been AT WORST average at 5 on 5. At absolute worst. By most metrics he’s been above average at least, by my eye test he’s been steady but not dynamic. He f***s up, sure, but they all do. Hamilton could’ve given away about 5 goals on his own last night. He was a complete f***ing mess.

3 on 3 is where he just doesn’t belong and never has. Espescially with Aho. The whole point of 3 on 3 is to score on a rush with speed or set up a passing play in the zone for a tap in. That’s not Faulk’s game. He’s poor on the rush on offense and doesn’t defend the rush as well as the other d-men. Hamilton driving the net with Aho and Nino would create space for them and just be a much bigger nuisance for the opposition. The guy defending Faulk just has to stay in front of him in the offensive zone and not worry about anything else.

This isn’t new, or Rod thing. Peters did the exact same thing and he’s about to win a f***ing coach of the year award. I just don’t understand it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I concur with those who are somewhat defending Justin Faulk. Again, the issue is his lateral movement. Debrusk "out-quicked" him and, of course, he was being asked to move side to side.

He made some good plays and made a derp or two. He has, however, been an overall positive to the team this year. That said, he's a valuable trade chip in the off season to help us get a missing piece. But be careful what you wish for as we don't know what this defense looks like with him out of it.

In the end, he should not be a primary option on the 3x3.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Can't really be upset at the result. The blown lead is more of any issue than losing in OT, but the Bruins are good. That's just going to happen. We've turned the tables on a quite a few teams this season as well. Shit happens, but we got a pt and we're still 3rd in the Metro.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
The difference between playing a good team and a not as good team is when you are playing a good team you cannot give up that 2 goal lead. You can get it back on a team like Florida (they did it twice in the past 6 games), but not a team like the Bruins.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Faulk is absolutely worthless on any 2-on-1 and he's near worthless one-on-one. Every once in a while he will make a decent stop individually, but the majority of the time he gets abused like last night or when he was backpacking Skinner earlier this year. He can play a zone defense OK and can battle it out on the boards, he's just not intelligent or quick enough to not get donked on regularly by talented and/or speedy forwards.

There isn't one facet of his game that is conducive to winning 3-on-3. Thank God the Playoffs don't have 3-on-3 because Rod is clueless when it comes to deployment.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
This is an embarrassing over simplification of one game. As I’ve stated time and time again after one poor game (or one poor PP in some cases) the % is 10th in the league since January 1. Over 20% which is 1 for 5.

The Bruins over that stretch are 5th in PK because they’re really ****ing good at killing penalties. The Canes have an average PP at worst. Acting likes it’s abysmal and it’s Faulk’s fault is short sighted at best.

He’s been AT WORST average at 5 on 5. At absolute worst. By most metrics he’s been above average at least, by my eye test he’s been steady but not dynamic. He ****s up, sure, but they all do. Hamilton could’ve given away about 5 goals on his own last night. He was a complete ****ing mess.

3 on 3 is where he just doesn’t belong and never has. Espescially with Aho. The whole point of 3 on 3 is to score on a rush with speed or set up a passing play in the zone for a tap in. That’s not Faulk’s game. He’s poor on the rush on offense and doesn’t defend the rush as well as the other d-men. Hamilton driving the net with Aho and Nino would create space for them and just be a much bigger nuisance for the opposition. The guy defending Faulk just has to stay in front of him in the offensive zone and not worry about anything else.

This isn’t new, or Rod thing. Peters did the exact same thing and he’s about to win a ****ing coach of the year award. I just don’t understand it.
Meh, you're right.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

The Bruins over that stretch are 5th in PK because they’re really ****ing good at killing penalties. The Canes have an average PP at worst. Acting likes it’s abysmal and it’s Faulk’s fault is short sighted at best.

He’s been AT WORST average at 5 on 5. At absolute worst. By most metrics he’s been above average at least, by my eye test he’s been steady but not dynamic. He ****s up, sure, but they all do. Hamilton could’ve given away about 5 goals on his own last night. He was a complete ****ing mess.

This isn’t new, or Rod thing. Peters did the exact same thing and he’s about to win a ****ing coach of the year award. I just don’t understand it.

Faulk's Individual Points % on the PP this year is 26.9%. Which means he factored into PP scoring only 26.9% of the time he was on the ice. For reference, the next lowest IPP on that line is Williams with 50% while Aho (77.8%) and Teravainen (82.61%) carry the load. On the PP2, Hamilton and Slavin contribute evenly with each having 54.55% IPP. The PP1 might be average, but the data shows that Faulk is contributing little to that unit.

Faulk's 26.9% IPP is #29 of 29 among all NHL D with more than 150 PP minutes. The next lowest is Jared Spurgeon at 36.8%. At the high end is Drew Doughty with 90.9% - all of LA's PP runs through him.
Faulk's Assists per 60 is also #29 of 29 at 0.83 A/60. The next lowest A/60 is Ryan Ellis who nearly double's Faulk's total with 1.43 A/60.
Faulk's Points per 60 #28 of 29 at 2.05 P/60.

Among his own team and among the other #1 PP options around the league, Faulk is well below average.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I'm not sure if he "got another concussion," so much as he's been trying to play when not 100 percent recovered from a concussion. But the way he plays, it's got to be near impossible to get past it. I bet he got his bell rung on the Johansson hit and stuck it out as long as he could. I don't think Backes even hit him.
Not a concussion it seems. Which is good news.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ferland has been playing hurt for at least a month, probably two. Not just a concussion. I thought he was having back problems? He’s gutting it out. He’s likely not the only one. I think Martinook has been playing hurt for awhile too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad