GDT: WhaleCanes @ Bruins: AKA Whale v.s. Bear

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Good game by the 'Canes. Take the point and run.
Carolina is one of few teams that can bang with the Bruins
while playing a speed-skill game. TML have had a tough time matching the Bruins.

Reactions: Trizz617 and Tryamw

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The loss sucks but two things.

1. There's absolutely no room for regulation losses, not now and not until some breathing room opens up. Leaving Boston without a point would have been a killer.

2. If you're going to lose in overtime or a shootout, be the ones to tie the game, they did, therefore it stings a little less.

Just going to have to move past this and get ready for next game. Keep no mess around March going. Don't let up. No help from anyone is coming so gotta take care of own business.

Goodnight.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Faulk is a very good player.
You're not going to be at your very best every game.
Rod has a lot of trust with him and he's giving him 25-30 minutes a game.
Getting a point against the Boston Bruins is something most teams will take in the NHL.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I see many players giving it their all on their shifts. faulk is not one of those players. Faulk has not looked invested in this team for at least the last 3 seasons.
I think this is wrong. I think he just isn't that fast. When he's down low, fighting to keep pucks out of the net in a small space, the effort is clear. But he's not fast, so he gets walked a lot, and he's got the yips from time to time.

He's decent. He has value. Let's wish him well the rest of the year, get something for him in the off-season and move on.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
'Canes scare a lot of teams with their overall skill, aggression and goal-tending.
The stats were quite even for Carolina and Boston.

Reactions: Tryamw

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Keep in mind too that Halak stopped a shot from Faulk that would very likely have been the game winner just a few minutes earlier. Faulk could easily have been viewed as the hero, rather than the goat of this game.

Again, just a reverse of the last game. Aho makes a brutal turnover in OT, leading to a breakaway, which luckily wasn't converted on. Of course, then he comes down the ice and wins the game.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Can't complain about getting a point here. It's more than I expected, especially after the short handed goal, and you can't win them all. Sucks that Columbus, Pittsburgh, and the Islanders all got pushed to OT and managed to win, but we're still in a good spot. On to Friday

Reactions: Trizz617

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think this is wrong. I think he just isn't that fast. When he's down low, fighting to keep pucks out of the net in a small space, the effort is clear. But he's not fast, so he gets walked a lot, and he's got the yips from time to time.

He's decent. He has value. Let's wish him well the rest of the year, get something for him in the off-season and move on.

And let's be clear, he was NEVER fast. Maybe he did relative to the Tim Gleasons and Jay Harrisons of the world.

It does seem like he used to have a little more confidence with the puck on his stick though, that's the thing. Slavin would've held that check off and gotten the puck out.

I'm not bagging on Faulk but we have multiple players who are better in that situation, including even TVR. Faulk should be right above Fleury on the list of guys we don't send out in 3 on 3.

But that's not his fault. This problem should've been identified and fixed a long time ago.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Faulk has always been the king of derp. Every year he’s gotten better at minimizing it. Tonight was borderline RoR level derp but I suppose he’s had such a comeback year he’s allowed a really beaut like that baby tonight.

He’s one of many reasons we’re here at this point. Though watching it up close I’m only more annoyed that Hamilton isn’t on the pp1. He was a fun player to watch tonight. He reads everything really well. Slavin up close live blew away my nephew who had no idea who he was before tonight.

They needed to get a point so I’m pretty proud of them sticking to the boring dump/chase/cycle plan and getting rewarded with the big Williams goal. Huge point.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Faulk was never fast. He was always decent straight ahead speed with little lateral movement, always made up for it with hustle and a little thump in his rump. That’s why he sucked for Peters, you have to be a good lateral/agile skater to play up and aggressive the way Peters likes. Liles was great at it. Faulk? Nope nope nope.

He’s much more comfortable under Rod. Still has always been a full second hesitant with the puck at times. Like the warning light is going off in his head, but it’s yellow and not red yet. While we are all clearly seeing it red on the tv and from the cheap seats. Evasion with the puck has always been his weakest point as a dman. Zero escapability. Even with all that 3 on 3 open ice there isn’t enough room for that guy to reverse and go back with someone on him. You can see the turnover before it happens.

Still. Our goalies as they have all season kept us in a game we didn’t really belong in and bought us enough time to tie it. They are the story this year above all. Up close Mac was shocking at times. No business keeping some of those pucks out.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
4 pts behind Isles, 3 pts behind Caps, tied with Pens and Habs, two points over CBJ. Pretty bad night. Happy with the point but we miss golden opportunity here.

Against Jets it's something like most important game of the season :D. Nothing less than W.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad