Confirmed with Link: Wes Clark leaves the Leafs for promotion with the Penguins

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
OP from Wes Clark thread from 2018. Yeah maybe Dubas would be kind enough to pry Tavares out as well.

Wes Clark and Kyle Dubas are tight.

One of Kyle's first moves when he became GM in the Soo in 2011, was to hire Clark as his Director of Player Development. When he hired Clark, Dubas explained the origins of his relationship with Clark:

“I was able to meet Wes after some of our clients trained at The Athlete Training Center. The job Wes and his father Rich do there, not only in the area of strength and conditioning but also in skill development and mentoring is what makes me believe that Wes will one day become an NHL Player Development coach. The fact that players such as John Tavares, P.K. Subban, and Matt Moulson swear by Wes lets you know how talented he is” stated Dubas.
Clark named Hounds Director of Player Development – Soo Greyhounds

Dubas and Clark worked together with the Soo until Kyle left in July 2014, to join the Leafs. One of the first people Dubas hired when he came to the Leafs was Wes Clark as a scout and player evaluation consultant. Clark eventually left the Leafs for the Panthers to become an amateur scout in August 2016. Dubas and Clark's Soo connections persist nonetheless.

Wes Clark and John Tavares are tight.

In 2011, Tavares described his relationship with Clark:

“I first met Wes when I started training with his father Richard and at the time I looked up to him because of his work ethic and dedication on the ice. But now as I’ve gotten older he’s become a great friend of mine and has helped me push myself to new limits. I always ask him for advice and respect his opinions. Wes has been a mentor for me off the ice and has always been there when I needed his time and effort. I know what the Greyhounds mean to Sault Ste. Marie and Wes will do a fantastic job representing the organization as Director of Player Development.”

If you were John Tavares, one season away from becoming a UFA, and the NYI were pressuring you to commit to a long term deal and you didn't want to do that, would you turn to your mentor? If you were JT and you wanted to confirm that your hometown team would sign you despite the salary cap implications BEFORE you turned down an eight year contract who could do that for you? Given Clark's mutual history with both Dubas and Tavares, it is apparent, in light of his pending free agency, that if JT wanted this information he would be able to make inquiries to Dubas, thru Clark. This would not be tampering as Clark is not a Leafs employee, he is a Panthers employee.

This is what may have sealed Lou's fate with the Leafs. If you were Kyle Dubas who would you bring the information of Tavares' interest in becoming a Leaf to? Discretion would rule out bringing this information to your then-boss, Lou. Lou's son, Chris Lamoriello, has been the Director of Player Personnel with Tavares' current team, NYI, since 2016. Dubas would owe it to Clark and Tavares, who put their necks on the line in opening this back-channel, to instead bring this information directly to Brendan Shanahan. Would Shanahan pass up the opportunity to bring a franchise player like JT into the fold or would he make sure it was pursued? If Shanahan pursued it, how could he break the news to notorious control-freak Lou that the Leaf president and Dubas worked out a clandestine deal for Tavares without telling their GM? How might Lou react?

If Shanahan knew by the end of the playoffs that either Tavares was coming to Toronto because of his back-channel communications with the player, or was likely to, then Shanahan had only one option - relieve Lou, promote Dubas. Lou Lamoriello, the ultimate power player, may have been played by Shanahan and Dubas.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
This was probably inevitable. I can't begrudge anyone for seeking a promotion, however, and Wes Clark has been a solid citizen in terms of recent draft performance.

Best of luck to him... but not too much luck.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ya, I don't care if Wes stays, I'd rather keep someone who seems to be good at their job, but there are more people who are capable out there.

It just seems weird to reference metrics that have nothing to do with the people moving on as a reason it is good that they are moving on.

Weird last couple of sentences... was just posting out how meaningless your post was and then you ramble on with more meaningless garbage.

You can’t “keep” people against their will in professional posts, and in assessing Wes Clark, he’s replaceable. Pretty simple concept.

Reactions: GoonieFace

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They’re young guys building tomorrow’s old boys network… cliquey, inside groups, keep each other employed, give each other huge corporate promotions, us against the world. A true corporate bromance.

Lex Fridman is also so weird.
If you lick his ass, chances are he will hire you (see Jason Spezza).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
OP from Wes Clark thread from 2018. Yeah maybe Dubas would be kind enough to pry Tavares out as well.

Wes Clark and Kyle Dubas are tight.

One of Kyle's first moves when he became GM in the Soo in 2011, was to hire Clark as his Director of Player Development. When he hired Clark, Dubas explained the origins of his relationship with Clark:

“I was able to meet Wes after some of our clients trained at The Athlete Training Center. The job Wes and his father Rich do there, not only in the area of strength and conditioning but also in skill development and mentoring is what makes me believe that Wes will one day become an NHL Player Development coach. The fact that players such as John Tavares, P.K. Subban, and Matt Moulson swear by Wes lets you know how talented he is” stated Dubas.

Dubas and Clark worked together with the Soo until Kyle left in July 2014, to join the Leafs. One of the first people Dubas hired when he came to the Leafs was Wes Clark as a scout and player evaluation consultant. Clark eventually left the Leafs for the Panthers to become an amateur scout in August 2016. Dubas and Clark's Soo connections persist nonetheless.

Wes Clark and John Tavares are tight.

In 2011, Tavares described his relationship with Clark:

“I first met Wes when I started training with his father Richard and at the time I looked up to him because of his work ethic and dedication on the ice. But now as I’ve gotten older he’s become a great friend of mine and has helped me push myself to new limits. I always ask him for advice and respect his opinions. Wes has been a mentor for me off the ice and has always been there when I needed his time and effort. I know what the Greyhounds mean to Sault Ste. Marie and Wes will do a fantastic job representing the organization as Director of Player Development.”

If you were John Tavares, one season away from becoming a UFA, and the NYI were pressuring you to commit to a long term deal and you didn't want to do that, would you turn to your mentor? If you were JT and you wanted to confirm that your hometown team would sign you despite the salary cap implications BEFORE you turned down an eight year contract who could do that for you? Given Clark's mutual history with both Dubas and Tavares, it is apparent, in light of his pending free agency, that if JT wanted this information he would be able to make inquiries to Dubas, thru Clark. This would not be tampering as Clark is not a Leafs employee, he is a Panthers employee.

This is what may have sealed Lou's fate with the Leafs. If you were Kyle Dubas who would you bring the information of Tavares' interest in becoming a Leaf to? Discretion would rule out bringing this information to your then-boss, Lou. Lou's son, Chris Lamoriello, has been the Director of Player Personnel with Tavares' current team, NYI, since 2016. Dubas would owe it to Clark and Tavares, who put their necks on the line in opening this back-channel, to instead bring this information directly to Brendan Shanahan. Would Shanahan pass up the opportunity to bring a franchise player like JT into the fold or would he make sure it was pursued? If Shanahan pursued it, how could he break the news to notorious control-freak Lou that the Leaf president and Dubas worked out a clandestine deal for Tavares without telling their GM? How might Lou react?

If Shanahan knew by the end of the playoffs that either Tavares was coming to Toronto because of his back-channel communications with the player, or was likely to, then Shanahan had only one option - relieve Lou, promote Dubas. Lou Lamoriello, the ultimate power player, may have been played by Shanahan and Dubas.

Tavares for Crosby?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Not much for him to do next year since it's likely the Leafs won't have a pick in the first five rounds. That 2nd will be likely dealt at the TDL.

Reactions: rumman

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Pridham’s expertise is probably baked into a very elaborate spreadsheet or database with some kind of interface someone else could take over if he decides to move on. I doubt he’s taking out the abacus and crunching the numbers on scrap paper every time they talk contracts.
He retains great knowledge of the NHL CAP. I believe he helped to write it, so, he is a true 'capologist' working for our Leafs.

He is valuable IMHO.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Not sure what the overreaction is. Im sure there are pool of people out there that are very good and are ready to showcase themselves as well

He seemed to be fairly good at his job (too early to tell how good), and Treliving and Shanahan are not well known for hiring well.

I think losing good employees suck, other people seem to think it doesn't matter.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He seemed to be fairly good at his job (too early to tell how good), and Treliving and Shanahan are not well known for hiring well.

I think losing good employees suck, other people seem to think it doesn't matter.

No idea about Treliving -- but Shanahan was the President when Wes was brought in...he's overseen all the hires for a decade.

I know people take dumps on Shanahan for a lot of stuff but he's had success being able to get some good people in management across the board. No reason why he can't find a good replacement, internally or externally.

Losing good people does matter. But no reason to believe they can't be replaced with just as good people, if not better... right?

Last edited:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It was inevitable.

If our scouting staff collapses because Clark moved on, then shame on MLSE for being so weak.

Nothing should fall apart because one person leaves on a well managed operation.

Get someone better. We have the money for it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He retains great knowledge of the NHL CAP. I believe he helped to write it, so, he is a true 'capologist' working for our Leafs.

He is valuable IMHO.
Did he have anything to do with giving Mitch Marner $10.9? Anyone who signed off on that should have been fired a long time ago.

Reactions: rumman and thewave

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

He is valuable IMHO.

Wouldn’t all his work be baked into a very sophisticated excel spreadsheet by now? One that MLSE owns and can use like Capfriendly?

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
They’re young guys building tomorrow’s old boys network… cliquey, inside groups, keep each other employed, give each other huge corporate promotions, us against the world. A true corporate bromance.

Lex Fridman is also so weird.
I believe it’s called nepotism and well…
If you seen a certain drama teacher from bc and a certain dorm photo with a few friends in it… you would know that this is the LPC MO.

Reactions: rumman and thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Did he have anything to do with giving Mitch Marner $10.9? Anyone who signed off on that should have been fired a long time ago.

JT overpaid
MM overpaid
WN overpaid
AM within reason but probably overpaid some.
Kerfoot priceless and all the similar stupid moves too

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Wouldn’t all his work be baked into a very sophisticated excel spreadsheet by now? One that MLSE owns and can use like Capfriendly?
AI is NOT there yet, so having Pridham in person, working for our Leafs, is way better than just having a sophisticated spreadsheet.

Our Leafs are better for having Pridham on staff.

JMHO.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad