Confirmed with Link: Wes Clark leaves the Leafs for promotion with the Penguins

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think people are really overrating this dude just because the Leafs drafting has been so bad for so long.

Was getting the vibe this guy thinks hes the smartest in the room (kinda like Dubas).
Thank you. Agreed on all counts. Especially the last one. You'd think we were losing Al Murray here. lol

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This news makes me doubt the Danford pick. After the Cowan pick turned out the way it did I was done doubting Wes. Danford was just as much a reach as Cowan but I was fine with it. Knowing that this move was probably in the works during the draft makes me question how invested he was in the draft result.

I like Danford, I hope he works out. I just feel less confident today than I did a week ago.

He's not going to sabotage a pick because he's moving organizations. Danford turning into a good player only looks good on him, and him turning into a bust looks poorly on him

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
This news makes me doubt the Danford pick. After the Cowan pick turned out the way it did I was done doubting Wes. Danford was just as much a reach as Cowan but I was fine with it. Knowing that this move was probably in the works during the draft makes me question how invested he was in the draft result.

I like Danford, I hope he works out. I just feel less confident today than I did a week ago.
He is in a profession where his whole career is defined by draft results. You seriously think he wasn't committed to this one? Lol

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Leafs poached Savard from the Flames. And the Leafs aren't going to stop anyone from leaving if they want to go, especially for a promotion.
True

Savard led the Flames to one of the worst PPs in the league last season.

Did the Leafs poach? Or, much like Treliving, did the Flames just simply let him go due to them not being very good..?

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
The guy has worked with Jim Nill since 1995 or something like that. He's not going anywhere unless you give him a substantial promotion -- aka GM.
This is good news for when Jim Nill is in the running to replace Shanny next year.

Reactions: ToneDog

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So why let him make the pick and be involved if they know he's going to leave a week later?

So that he doesn't make the pick for someone else, or let the other team know the Leafs plans.

Similar to why Treliving wasn't allowed to do anything at the draft last year for the Leafs.

Reactions: cyris

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
True

Savard led the Flames to one of the worst PPs in the league last season.

Did the Leafs poach? Or, much like Treliving, did the Flames just simply let him go due to them not being very good..?

I don't know? Savard wasn't fired per their release but maybe they wanted to make the change regardless. Treliving also left without being fired, which is why the Flames are upset with him. Either way, I'm sure the Leafs will make their own poaches in due time. It's the business. They've already gone to get Shane Doan and Derek Clancey since Treliving has taken over, I'm sure we'll see more of this over the next few months/year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The core question for the draft is how much did Tre opt to shape the Leafs approach. Was he completely hands off, or did he want certain traits or positions prioritized? We simply don't know.

After Cowan I think Clark earned the right to go more off board, I just hope Danford was more driven by that than being told to get a certain player archetype

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The whole Dubas era clan should have been purged day one. Shanahan strikes again. Like I give a F aboutthis part of the failure. All the rest of the Dubas isiots can get the F out of here too. That includes Shanasham too.

People saying this is bad. You should be dropping their bags on the curb.

Shit

Oh man this really hurts.

Nah not at all

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
So if we're only giving credit or blame to Wes based on the years he was officially the Director of Amateur Scouting that means we're hanging our blind faith in him primarily on the Cowan pick?

Given that time-frame only Hildeby has even made the NHL yet, and he didn't even play. So while I think Cowan is going to be really good and Wes made a great pick there, it's a really small sample of work to hang your hat on if we're being super specific about timelines

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not surprised, this happens in Organizations with a toxic work environment, Shanahan has players refusing to sign here, player asking for a trade, personnel leaving for green pastures, how much damage will he do before he’s turfed? That’s the only question………

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think people are really overrating this dude just because the Leafs drafting has been so bad for so long.

Was getting the vibe this guy thinks hes the smartest in the room (kinda like Dubas).

I don’t think our scouting and drafting is actually that bad when you look at the number of ex-Leaf draft picks, home grown products, reclamations and prospects littered throughout the NHL from the past 10 years or so. Retention and asset management would definitely be a massive problem but at least they’re looking at the right people to plug up NHL jobs.

Hyman
Verhaeghe
Durzi
Brown
Sandin
Holl
Marchment
T. Moore
Grundstrom
Brazeau
Joshua
Engvall
Mikheyev
Barabanov

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It's a loss, but replaceable. Clark was hired/promoted as Director of Scouting for Toronto in 2021-2022.

Since then, the only NHL player we have to show for it is Knies. With a shoutout to Cowan/Minten as probable NHL players.

Reactions: thewave and SprDaVE

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto

Re: questioning Wes' investment, why? I've seen this sentiment all over this thread and I gotta say I really don't understand. The pick is still on Wes and his historical performance as a scout/legacy, he is still a professional, and the GM's hands are ultimately the ones on the wheel.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don’t think our scouting and drafting is actually that bad when you look at the number of ex-Leaf draft picks, home grown products, reclamations and prospects littered throughout the NHL from the past 10 years or so. Retention and asset management would definitely be a massive problem but at least they’re looking at the right people to plug up NHL jobs.

Hyman
Verhaeghe
Durzi
Brown
Sandin
Holl
Marchment
T. Moore
Grundstrom
Brazeau
Joshua
Engvall
Mikheyev
Barabanov
We didn't draft Hyman though.

It's a loss, but replaceable. Clark was hired/promoted as Director of Scouting for Toronto in 2021-2022.

Since then, the only NHL player we have to show for it is Knies. With a shoutout to Cowan/Minten as probable NHL players.
He was promoted after that draft. Technically Knies does not belong to him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tough loss but the rest of the staff is still there.

Don't be surprised if Pridham is the next to leave. Dubas gave himself the GM title after searching candidates but I think the plan is still him remaining as President with someone else taking over the GM duties... and Pridham might just be that guy. He loves his guys and Pridham was very close to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad