Confirmed with Link: Wes Clark leaves the Leafs for promotion with the Penguins

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I thought that the drafts under Wes Clark were pretty solid, given the picks we had available. I read some of the comments here, and it seems people have no idea of Leafs timelines... being mad at the 2020 draft, when he didn't become the director of Amateur Scouting, until after the 2021 draft..

He was the assistant director of player personnel in 2020 and previously, so it's hard to attribute draft picks to him specifically from that era.

But since he was the Director of Amateur Scouting after the draft 2021, we've had two first round picks... Cowan and now Danford.... Cowan was a great pick for the spot... Danford who knows. The reality is it's also very difficult to fully judge how good Clark's picks were, as it's really very early to expect many to be excelling... but he is responsible for Cowan, Chadwick, Hildeby, Grebyonkin, Minten in three years... who all appear to likely be NHL players... That's hitting on 5 of 8 picks.... which to me is pretty solid.... I don't think we can fully write off Voit and Lisowsky yet either...

Wes Clark drafted guys, were also not small players, or players who play small... I mean, look at those names....

Again, when you look at Clark's body of work, he was solid for us. But, everyone is replaceable...

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Odd timing, if he led the Leafs draft with this pending..
Must have been agreed upon beforehand - Wes works the draft, and development camp, and then the day after development camp this all gets announced rapidly.

Rarely do these things come together in a manner of days.

Good luck to him though - a very well earned promotion, and hard to begrudge him an opportunity to work with Kyle again.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Treliving can't get the Flames to pick up his phone calls, but the Leafs are just letting Dubas poach whoever he wants.

This feels like a significant loss for the Leafs.

Reactions: arso40

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I thought that the drafts under Wes Clark were pretty solid, given the picks we had available. I read some of the comments here, and it seems people have no idea of Leafs timelines... being mad at the 2020 draft, when he didn't become the director of Amateur Scouting, until the year after.

He was the assistant director of player personnel in 2020 and previously, so it's hard to attribute draft picks to him specifically from that era.

But since he was the Director of Amateur Scouting in 2021, we've had two first round picks... Cowan and now Danford.... Cowan was a great pick for the spot... Danford who knows. The reality is it's also very difficult to fully judge how good Clark's picks were, as it's really very early to expect many to be excelling... but he is responsible for Cowan, Chadwick, Knies, Hildeby, Grebyonkin, Minten in three years... who all appear to likely be NHL players... That's hitting on 6 of 11 picks.... which to me is pretty solid.... I don't think we can fully write off Peksa, Voit and Lisowsky yet either...

Wes Clark drafted guys, were also not small players, or players who play small... I mean, look at those names....

Again, when you look at Clark's body of work, he was solid for us. But, everyone is replaceable...
If youre going to be picky about timelines, he was not the director of amateur scouting for the Knies pick.

He got promoted after that draft. He was the director for the past 3 Leaf drafts.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It’s too bad, he did well for us in his short time. He is just one member of the team though. He may have the biggest influence on who they pick, but there are a lot of people doing the ground work.

It will be interesting if they promote someone from within or they go get talent outside the organization.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It’s too bad, he did well for us in his short time. He is just one member of the team though. He may have the biggest influence on who they pick, but there are a lot of people doing the ground work.

It will be interesting if they promote someone from within or they go get talent outside the organization.

Leafs should not spare a dime to get the best of the best in terms of scouting and development. They seemed to be doing well in that department for the most part, but it can always be better. I just hope they don't go with some 90 year old dinosaur just because he's been around the league forever.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They need to replace him with a guy that can pick out talent in the later rounds.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs should not spare a dime to get the best of the best in terms of scouting and development. They seemed to be doing well in that department for the most part, but it can always be better. I just hope they don't go with some 90 year old dinosaur just because he's been around the league forever.
When was the last time anyone checked in on Cliff?

1720541036992.png

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why not hire an old guy? They did it on D.

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

They've done well enough in the scouting department, but the development side has been quite bad.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
That's unfortunate - our drafting the last few years appeared to be improving (hard to tell until guys start actually making the NHL), and Wes was always assumed to be a major factor in that regard.

Can't say I understand why front office staff follow each other around like puppy dogs though. If I worked in Toronto and my boss left to go to Pittsburgh, I wouldn't feel any inclination to go with him.

Reactions: Al14

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
This news makes me doubt the Danford pick. After the Cowan pick turned out the way it did I was done doubting Wes. Danford was just as much a reach as Cowan but I was fine with it. Knowing that this move was probably in the works during the draft makes me question how invested he was in the draft result.

I like Danford, I hope he works out. I just feel less confident today than I did a week ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad