Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You understand Meruelo was never given that 7-year “no move” clause document when he bought the franchise, right?

He could move the team now and the league couldn’t stop him if he has a location to go to.

All the league could do is extract a reasonable relo fee and it’s done.

But he doesn’t want to move and the league doesn’t want him to either.

But there could come a time when he might have to.
Its not about what I understand. I was simply posting about Craig and his thoughts on Meruelo. You said it wasn't about Meruelo specifically, it sure sounded like it was?

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This confirms it. There was no Plan B. Whatever they're gonna call Plan B is going to be a jury-rigged last ditch mess.

I'm starting to think maybe Katie Strang might have been right, and just typing that infuriates me to no end.
I’m not reading that way…

What they considered as a plan B was whatever site they were negotiating along with Tempe was still there and it’s being pulled out of mothballs.

I know I could be wrong but that’s how I’m reading it. But I certainly don’t fault anyone for seeing the opposite.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You read that and came to that conclusion? Lol
Laugh if you want. But Gutierrez said before the vote that they had a concrete Plan B that would be a fast build on a nearly-as-good plot of land. Now this. They have nothing ready. Nothing concrete. They were blowing smoke up our skirts.

Maybe they do figure something out eventually. But take everything they tell us with a house-sized salt lick.

I’m not reading that way…

What they considered as a plan B was whatever site they were negotiating along with Tempe was still there and it’s being pulled out of mothballs.

I know I could be wrong but that’s how I’m reading it. But I certainly don’t fault anyone for seeing the opposite.

If they really had had the Plan B ready like they claimed, they'd have released even vague details about it IMMEDIATELY after the vote failed. They'd have been ready to go with it as a contingency, no matter how brazenly confident they were about the TED passing.

Look, my trust has been burned out of me through hard experience. If you guys need to grasp at whatever straws you can find, there's no way I can blame you. Ten years ago, I would have been doing the exact same thing. I know better now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You understand Meruelo was never given that 7-year “no move” clause document when he bought the franchise, right?

He could move the team now and the league couldn’t stop him if he has a location to go to.

All the league could do is extract a reasonable relo fee and it’s done.

But he doesn’t want to move and the league doesn’t want him to either.

But there could come a time when he might have to.
He has to find another arena to play in. Any that have an nba team he’s not going to get any arena revenues aside from what they bring in on game day.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Craig was on the Marek show today but not with Marek. It was Marchase the Producer again. Very candid interview about history abd I can't help be left thinking that Craig has no love lost for Meruelo and stated a few times he doesn't think the League wants him going forward. Is this news to anyone but me?

That was an informative listen. Few behind the scenes details I hadn't yet heard. Definitely confirms that the ownership's own stupidity is to blame.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That was an informative listen. Few behind the scenes details I hadn't yet heard. Definitely confirms that the ownership's own stupidity is to blame.
I don't like that Marchese guy but did get a lot of info from Craig today, as I wrote he seemed frustrated and angry with Coyote's Ownership.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Honestly I’m reading it as, there was no plan B, but there were some deals that could still be made. And they’re at varying levels of possibility. But the schedule they’re on, and the pressure, they better get it going
From ESPN in a summary article earlier today:

A Coyotes source told ESPN that "there is no Plan B" for keeping the team in the Arizona market long term.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
...he seemed frustrated and angry with Coyote's Ownership.
Yeah he does. Sounds like he's taking all the negative press that happened under AM (taxes, payroll, getting kicked out of Glendale Arena, etc.) adding the completely insufficient effort in the campaign and concluding that the NHL may no longer be comfortable with him as owner.

His image as the right guy for the job is gone. He f***ed this up BIG TIME because he took it for granted.

Edit: I noticed that Craig was a lot more negative on the future outlook during this podcast than he was on the PHNX podcast.

Last edited:

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Laugh if you want. But Gutierrez said before the vote that they had a concrete Plan B that would be a fast build on a nearly-as-good plot of land. Now this. They have nothing ready. Nothing concrete. They were blowing smoke up our skirts.

Maybe they do figure something out eventually. But take everything they tell us with a house-sized salt lick.

If they really had had the Plan B ready like they claimed, they'd have released even vague details about it IMMEDIATELY after the vote failed. They'd have been ready to go with it as a contingency, no matter how brazenly confident they were about the TED passing.

Look, my trust has been burned out of me through hard experience. If you guys need to grasp at whatever straws you can find, there's no way I can blame you. Ten years ago, I would have been doing the exact same thing. I know better now.
If plan B involves Salt River they won’t. SR does not like their negotiations public. Unless you forgot about the time LeBlanc blathered about talking with them and it immediately died after that.

I’m not grabbing straws. I’m evaluating the possibilities.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You choose the semantics you're comfortable with. Just as long as you also evaluate the possibility that Meruelo is basically winging this whole thing.

I've never ruled out that possibility.

Look.... if you want to see it all as a ruse I'm not going to stop you from doing it.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
grapsing at straws....this is all superficial. They have to say these things, and act like there's hope.

^ that is contradicted by this:
Move along. So, will it be Houston or Salt Lake City?
Who is going to buy the team in those places and where will they play? The basketball owners to put them in their basketball arena? It’s certainly possible. It’s also not all that more believable than finding an alternate site in AZ.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I wish the Coyotes "fans" on here would make up their mind. If you think AM is a joke, shyster, blew it, wants to sell, move the team, no hope to stay, then why are you still here? You are a mirror of what you complain about on other boards.

Craig Morgan and PHNX are a joke too. Morgan is bitter because his own job is at stake and so he vents toward the same people who are conduits to him having a job in the first place. They had XG on so many times and this is his thanks. I watched the video and can't believe the vitriol coming from PHNX. Now Morgan is changing his tune and probably wanting XG to return to his show....well at least until there is no plan B or C.

I hold out hope until NHL says the team is leaving. Until then, I'm going to keep giving them "two weeks." I hope the real fans do too.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I wish the Coyotes "fans" on here would make up their mind. If you think AM is a joke, shyster, blew it, wants to sell, move the team, no hope to stay, then why are you still here? You are a mirror of what you complain about on other boards.

Craig Morgan and PHNX are a joke too. Morgan is bitter because his own job is at stake and so he vents toward the same people who are conduits to him having a job in the first place. They had XG on so many times and this is his thanks. I watched the video and can't believe the vitriol coming from PHNX. Now Morgan is changing his tune and probably wanting XG to return to his show....well at least until there is no plan B or C.

I hold out hope until NHL says the team is leaving. Until then, I'm going to keep giving them "two weeks." I hope the real fans do too.
The is absolutely no excuse for how poorly they ran the TED campaign. Especially being outspent 4:1. It’s completely inexcusable.

Agree or disagree?

It was so poorly run, that it almost appeared to have been done on purpose. That’s how bad it was.

What happens next will, of course, define Meruelo for the fanbase. Obviously. Lionizing him now, while nothing has been accomplished, isn’t commendable it’s bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad