Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig was on the Marek show today but not with Marek. It was Marchase the Producer again. Very candid interview about history abd I can't help be left thinking that Craig has no love lost for Meruelo and stated a few times he doesn't think the League wants him going forward. Is this news to anyone but me?

Not Meruelo specifically.... more like the laxness of the Coyotes in taking the campaign seriously.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jagged Ice

Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Craig was on the Marek show today but not with Marek. It was Marchase the Producer again. Very candid interview about history abd I can't help be left thinking that Craig has no love lost for Meruelo and stated a few times he doesn't think the League wants him going forward. Is this news to anyone but me?
If this was a project for Meruelo to beef up his resume to eventually own an NBA team, he can forget about that.
He spent ⅛ the amount that the opposition did on this campaign. Hockey fans on a message board saw this was a problem very early on. We shouldn't know more about running a campaign than a professional sports team. Drive through any Tempe neighborhood and you can see you're losing. There's your data. But go ahead and trust your internal polling. The optics on this is embarrassing and media is running with it. A toxic landfill was chosen over the Coyotes.
Mereulo looks like a fool.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
It wasn't just cleaning out the landfill.... it included building a support wall around the hole they would end up with to shore up the riverbank.

Time was going to depend on how how much they had to actually clean out.

Imo they don’t have that much time. With the draft and free agency coming up, you got about 30 days.

Without a concrete plan in place, you’re going to turn off draft prospects (hello Michkov and college free agents), and even the lower end FA class won’t want to come here.

They need to announce plan B, and quick if it actually exists.

Reactions: XX and MayDayMayDay

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Imo they don’t have that much time. With the draft and free agency coming up, you got about 30 days.

Without a concrete plan in place, you’re going to turn off draft prospects (hello Michkov and college free agents), and even the lower end FA class won’t want to come here.

Draft is draft. Kids won’t be playing for 2-3 years.

We aren’t grabbing any top ufa’s. It delays Cooley a year.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I agree.... said that in other posts.

Same....
Part of that statement addresses it.

It leads me to believe they've dusted off some of the work they've done for another site they had been negotiating on and ramping up the discussions again.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I agree.... said that in other posts.

Same....

Part of that statement addresses it.

It leads me to believe they've dusted off some of the work they've done for another site they had been negotiating on and ramping up the discussions again.
I think BA will be pushing them as well …

he said when he got hired… the interview was a 2 way street … he was checking them out as well

he can’t do his job properly if they don’t get solidarity soon

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Not Meruelo specifically.... more like the laxness of the Coyotes in taking the campaign seriously.
It sounded like Meruelo. He said he didn't think the League would let him move, bad rep in City, and doesn't know how much fauth the League would have in Muruelo group right now. Wonders if League even wants to keep Muruelo in AZ.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Could be worse. We could have John Chayka as a finalist for our GM spot. #Penguins
Sorry for butting in as an outsider but is this true? That's awful for them.

Even if it is there are few franchises I'd feel less sorry for than the Penguins. Pretty sure I'd like to have seen 5 freaking Stanley cups in my lifetime.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
If y'all are falling for this "we're committed to AZ" malarkey, I've got a really nice bridge for sale.

Just move 'em already and end this gong show. I trust Meruelo about as much as I trust a fart at my age.
I'm hopeful, but also, I'm kinda just like, ok prove it. Talk is cheap. I want action. Press conferences in an open field. Shovels hitting ground. Black Keys Howling for You playing in the background.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If y'all are falling for this "we're committed to AZ" malarkey, I've got a really nice bridge for sale.

Just move 'em already and end this gong show. I trust Meruelo about as much as I trust a fart at my age.
You have to trust them. The only people who have been proven wrong about this statement are the angry Canadians. They’ve been saying it since Gretzky got canned and they’ve shown that they are committed to this place.

Even though they don’t have stability, they’ve shown that they’re committed here. Haha

GhostofYotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Meruelo was supposed to be given the keys for a $2 billion development but spent less than what a studio condo in Tempe is worth to secure said development. This falls squarely on him. Pay attention to what people do, not what they say (especially billionaires pretending to be your friend).

If he actually closes a deal then praise can be sung but I'm completely out of patience with this group.
The question is, do we remain here if this group fails? I'm reluctant to believe there is a plan b, or any other group willing to take a shot. It's too bad because we seemed to finally be building a team that could maybe one day compete.

What's worse is there are a number of us who have been around here for a long time, I certainly feel a sense of comradery towards F40 members. It will be sad if it all comes to an end.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The question is, do we remain here if this group fails? I'm reluctant to believe there is a plan b, or any other group willing to take a shot. It's too bad because we seemed to finally be building a team that could maybe one day compete.

What's worse is there are a number of us who have been around here for a long time, I certainly feel a sense of comradery towards F40 members. It will be sad if it all comes to an end.
As a Canadian I feel for the fans.

Honestly, looking back it feels like AZ might have made it as a market as an expansion team vs a relocation.

Why? You’d start out with an owner who knows that they need a new arena since the footprint doesn’t work for them. And is committed to getting it. Rather than All of these Lame owners over the years.

Just seems like the people who owned the team didn’t have either the Will, the money, connections, understanding the politics, to get the arena built.

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It sounded like Meruelo. He said he didn't think the League would let him move, bad rep in City, and doesn't know how much fauth the League would have in Muruelo group right now. Wonders if League even wants to keep Muruelo in AZ.
You understand Meruelo was never given that 7-year “no move” clause document when he bought the franchise, right?

He could move the team now and the league couldn’t stop him if he has a location to go to.

All the league could do is extract a reasonable relo fee and it’s done.

But he doesn’t want to move and the league doesn’t want him to either.

But there could come a time when he might have to.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad