Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
1. If much of his value comes from "leadership" or "Cup rings" or whatever, find a cheaper vet to hang around the young guys. VAN has approximately 10,000 middle-six forwards and Rutherford loves to deal Tanner Pearson. He's got 2 Cup rings. Flip them a 4th round pick or something for Pearson to be a mentor.

2. I get that the Devils still need to improve before they get to the dance. There are some relatively cheap players out there that would improve the club. And if Fitz were serious about taking a big step forward, the more obvious areas of improvement are on the blueline and in goal.

I don't think the Palat deal will sink them long-term. And I think Palat is a good player right now. But I make judgements as objectively as I can. I'm gonna call it like I see it and not have rose-coloured glasses. It's not a good contract.
Tanner Pearson has 26 playoff games and 11 playoff points over the last 8 years. His playoff career, nor his regular season career is anywhere near Palat's.

Pearson would be another, "hey we can get a meh player on the cheap" type of deal, much like Tatar.

The 4 x $3.9 for a 27 year old that expires when he's 31 is definitely more palatable and a reasonably decent bet to at least age well. Not all that hard to move $3.9 for a year or two either.

Just being realistic about the contract and the player, which I get a lot of people here don't like to be. They got a shiny new toy that we saw score notable goals on the TV screen. I like the player a lot, just not at this term and dollar amount for where this organization is right now.

Is it the end of the world? Not at all. It's just incredibly likely that we're going to regret this deal down the line. If we have no complaints about the contract until year 4, we'll be lucky.
I mean Donskoi was no where near as good as Palat, so of course he is getting signed for cheaper.

Reactions: Guttersniped

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nobody is being hyperbolic. It's okay to admit that a contract sucks while also saying the player is good as of today. Acting like this term and AAV are completely fine for this player are just disingenuous.

When the crux of the argument supporting the deal is "well, we'll just dump some assets with him in a few years to offload him to another team," you know that it's not a smart contract.
*Could suck. Important distinction. If he remains roughly the same player for the duration of his deal, it does not suck. For 4 years, even, it doesn’t suck. Everyone has acknowledged it’s a likely overpay by a million and a year. We’ll get by.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I think deep down what I feel is that this entire organization needs to be shaken up with new/different blood. I don't trust this management team and I don't trust this core group of players. They all seem way too comfortable playing shitty, structure-less, away from the boards pond hockey. Management certainly doesn't seem to be willing to do anything that will even remotely rock the boat.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't trust their judgement...I asked this yesterday but who was the last complimentary piece this franchise signed in free agency that didn't turn out to be incredibly underwhelming?

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Nobody is being hyperbolic. It's okay to admit that a contract sucks while also saying the player is good as of today. Acting like this term and AAV are completely fine for this player are just disingenuous.

When the crux of the argument supporting the deal is "well, we'll just dump some assets with him in a few years to offload him to another team," you know that it's not a smart contract.
I could provide a dozen examples of embarrassing overreaction from tonight and today. This thread is a dumpster fire and a great example of why our fan base is openly mocked by others.

Do you not understand you have to overpay to lure players of this caliber to this team? Palat is exactly what this team needs. A proven winner and clutch performer with more postseason experience than our entire roster combined. Having panic attacks about how this contract looks in 4 years is missing the point entirely. The Cap is going to explode over the course of this contract.

I think deep down what I feel is that this entire organization needs to be shaken up with new/different blood. I don't trust this management team and I don't trust this core group of players. They all seem way too comfortable playing shitty, structure-less, away from the boards pond hockey. Management certainly doesn't seem to be willing to do anything that will even remotely rock the boat.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't trust their judgement...I asked this yesterday but who was the last complimentary piece this franchise signed in free agency that didn't turn out to be incredibly underwhelming?
So let’s just not sign anyone unless they are the greatest free agent to ever hit the market because as we all know having the most available cap space during the regular season is more important than winning.

Yikes.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
This assumes that he has no positive impact on the young fwds on the roster. Also discredits that teams need to climb that ladder before they can become true contenders. If he helps climb that ladder, but isn't the guy who rings the bell, I'm OK with that.
This is a logical fallacy because comparing the progress (or regress) of the team to climbing the ladder isn't comparing apples to apples.

The progress (or regress) of the hockey team is a result of the changes of the quality of 23 players on the roster, that includes development, decline, departures and signings so there is a very high amount of factors, some of which push the team forward, some push backward.

For example, are Devils "climbing the ladder" since 2015? You could say that they're increasing the value of their roster every year, which would be true but for example goaltending is much worse than it was in 2015. So as the time goes you get better in certain areas and also worse in certain. The whole point of picking the correct strategy is to be good enough in key areas in the right moment because only then you can contend for the cup.

Statistically, signing of Palat will improve the team in the first years of the contract and make it worse in the last years, the problem is that Devils are more likely to be a contender at the latter stage of his deal than earlier. In other words.

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007

Dainus Zubrus?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The problem with the complimentary pieces has often been that the rest of the team has not lived up to its end of the bargain, but I find the question meaningless because we have a different core now, a real core, players who are good. If you really want an answer to that question, it's Brian Boyle, but you don't actually want an answer to that question, you want to just complain about management and the players again.

Reactions: Oneiro

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

ubs arena is not too far away.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
So let’s just not sign anyone unless they are the greatest free agent to ever hit the market because as we all know having the most available cap space during the regular season is more important than winning.

Yikes.
This is not at all my position. Quite contrary, I don't believe in hoarding cap space forever like some people here seemingly do.

I'm conflicted about this signing. Not because of the player, per se. I believe Palat is the type of player this roster needs. But because I don't trust this management's judgement. To see them hand out a contract of this magnitude to a complimentary player, when the vast majority of signings of this kind over the last few years have been incredibly underwhelming...it's very concerning. That's all I'm saying.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is not at all my position. Quite contrary, I don't believe in hoarding cap space forever like some people here seemingly do.

I'm conflicted about this signing. Not because of the player, per se. I believe Palat is the type of player this roster needs. But because I don't trust this management's judgement. To see them hand out a contract of this magnitude to a complimentary player, when the vast majority of signings of this kind over the last few years have been incredibly underwhelming...it's very concerning. That's all I'm saying.
have you seen the prices on the market? either you strike or your hoard cap space. who knows at the end of the free agent period, there might be a bargain available. but as long as all teams have cap space a need, the prices aren't cheap.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Of this kind around the league? Or for this team? The Devils haven't made a free agent signing in this range since Cammalleri in 2014, and have probably made fewer than 10 ever - Zubrus, Rolston, Clowe, Cammalleri, Palat, that's about it, of deals of 3+ years signed for around ~7% of the cap.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The problem with the complimentary pieces has often been that the rest of the team has not lived up to its end of the bargain, but I find the question meaningless because we have a different core now, a real core, players who are good. If you really want an answer to that question, it's Brian Boyle, but you don't actually want an answer to that question, you want to just complain about management and the players again.
Always so presumptuous. Brian Boyle was a good one. That's quite a bit of time ago now though. Five years.

Your comment about the core being "good"...yeah I guess. Good enough? I remain skeptical until proven otherwise in the win loss column. I'm sure you'll think that's ridiculous but it's far from unreasonable at this point.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Gretzky, the rest of the ESPN/TNT/NHL TV crews and message boarders all over NA were ripping both Colorado and Edm for their play early in the WCF for their lack of defense.

The NHL has taken a turn towards more wide open hockey.

Last edited:

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Of this kind around the league? Or for this team? The Devils haven't made a free agent signing in this range since Cammalleri in 2014, and have probably made fewer than 10 ever - Zubrus, Rolston, Clowe, Cammalleri, Palat, that's about it, of deals of 3+ years signed for around ~7% of the cap.
For this team. And I'm not factoring in the contract itself. I just mean in general...the players management have decided to bring in for several years now have almost always underwhelmed relative to expectations coming in. My fear is that we've done it again...except this time with a big contract attached.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Always so presumptuous. Brian Boyle was a good one. That's quite a bit of time ago now though. Five years.

Your comment about the core being "good"...yeah I guess. Good enough? I remain skeptical until proven otherwise in the win loss column. I'm sure you'll think that's ridiculous but it's far from unreasonable at this point.

How many free agents have they signed? Boyle was 5 years ago, they signed Lovejoy the year before, they didn't sign anyone of consequence in 2018, in 2019 they signed Simmonds. In 2020 they signed Kulikov. Last year they signed Hamilton, Tatar, and Bernier. That's about it. So yes, it's been 5 years, but that's because they haven't signed anybody.

Last edited:

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
For this team. And I'm not factoring in the contract itself. I just mean in general...the players management have decided to bring in for several years now have almost always underwhelmed relative to expectations coming in. My fear is that we've done it again...except this time with a big contract attached.
At least they are bringing in a gritty guy from a winning culture.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If you're going to say defence and goaltending were better ways to spend money, you're going to need to back it up.

Who are you signing that supplanted our top 4?
Who are you signing to supplant Blackwood or Vanacek?
Philly needs to clear cap space. They're a stupid organization. They were reportedly shopping Provorov. Sanheim was probably attainable. Kulak is a solid defender and I would've offered more than Edmonton for him to come to NJ. Pittsburgh has 9 NHL defensemen and are reportedly shopping Marino and Pettersson.

I'd fire off Blackwood. Trade for one of SJ's three goalies (preferably Reimer, but wouldn't mind Hill. Eric Comrie is a goalie with upside.

This is off the top of my head.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I never liked the "guys in the past have done this, thus that is what we should expect of this player now" arguments.

Palat's just had a great season. Just had a great post season. I know eventually he ages out, but he's just not showing signs of it right now.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Gretzky, therest of the ESPN/TNT/NHL TV crews and message boarders all over NA were ripping both Colorado and Edm for their play early in the WCF for their lack of defense.

The NHL has taken a turn towards more wide open hockey.
Colorado might not be a defensive dynamo but they are beasts with puck retrieval and along the boards. They can hoard the puck at will, they aren't simply a rush team playing loosey goosy pond hockey. Come on now.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Yeah pretty much. To me I just don’t trust anyone on this team currently to deliver the real goods…not management and not the players either. It’s just been too many years of failure. I can’t help but remain skeptical until I see all this “potential” actualized and tangible improvement in the win-loss column.
Well hopefully with Vanacek in goal(I have zero confidence in Big Mac), we might actually win some games we should be winning FOR ONCE!!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Tanner Pearson has 26 playoff games and 11 playoff points over the last 8 years. His playoff career, nor his regular season career is anywhere near Palat's.

Pearson would be another, "hey we can get a meh player on the cheap" type of deal, much like Tatar.
Did he forget how to be a "good pro" or something? Did he lose his Cup rings?

If people are ascribing a lot of the value Palat brings due to his experience, then they could've brought in a cheaper guy with experience and another good player and had more cap flexibility.

I'm not saying Pearson is better than Palat. He obviously isn't.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz

Perhaps your management bias is clouding an honest assessment of the player and contract.

As you said there are lots of points in favor of adding Palat. I think the ‘magnitude’ is not what people are making this out to be. By year 5 the Cap will have expanded enough to make this type of hit negligible. Don’t discount how Tampa fans are reacting to losing Palat. They have been extremely complimentary.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Well that's certainly a take...you think it'd be a good deal if random team A did it, but since it's our team that did it, something bad's gotta result. And you guys thought I was being negative yesterday or last week about this franchise lol

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
They need to make the playoffs now for this contract to be a success. They need to make the playoffs for basically the entirety of his contract. It's just too much coin and too much term for a 31 year-old. Palat is a great player and he has a fantastic track record, but the decline is coming, perhaps sooner than later.
I agree with this.

Palat is a PLAYOFF-PERFORMER moreso than a Regular-Season one.

Devils must get to the playoffs this upcoming season to have Playoff-Performer Palat make an appearance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad