Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The team needs to start moving forward. Palat helps that on ice and off ice.

Standing pat sends a terrible signal to everyone.
I don't think standing pat would have been a terrible signal, but this is a good signal. Hamilton last year was a good signal.

However this team needed more then just signals, it needed a better goal tending situation, and hopefully we got that, and it needs the young guys to mature, which will happen, though we do continue to add very young players to the mix.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Serious question...Can a team that is currently 27th in Cap spending really give out a bad 5 year contract?

I am serious...I mean what are we saving these bullets for? If we add another 7 or 8 million were still barely in the middle of the league as of right now.

I have been hearing since 2015 how we were going to use this cap space as a "weapon".

Seems to me some are waiting for a day that obviously is never going to come.

buuuuuuuuut it might! lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think the cap space as a weapon window has already closed.

I do think we need to be smart with our money so that in the coming years we can sign all these high picks we've been drafting.

I'm cool with the Palat signing, it's an overpay but it's not a huge long mega deal. Can only have so many of those, so while I'm cool with this one, have to be more judicious going fwd. Between Hamilton last year, and Palat this year, I think we've hit our quota in terms of UFA contracts that could be hindrances in the future.
Smart? We have almost no one signed long-term beyond Hamilton, Jack and Nico.

The Luke's and Simon's still have 3 years of ELC. When Luke and Nemec needs there 1st real contract, Nico will only have two years left on his existing contract. How smart do we have to be?

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Cogliano was/is making $1 mil at 34/35 years old. Not $6 mil. Big difference. You can easily deal with a declining vet bringing intangibles at 35 years old when his cap hit is nothing.
You asked me to name older effective players that weren't stars but then have an issue when I name effective players on small contracts. The point is older players can be effective, certainly the value won't be the same near the end of the contract but that woulda been the same for someone like Gaudreau. Other examples of players that weren't superstars, but weren't fillers could be guys like Getzlaf, Carter, Perry, Perron, Zuc, Wheeler, Krejci.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-1.18.37-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-12.31.32-PM.png

This guy is going to be our new Johnsson. Is he better than Johnsson? Of course. But at that cap hit, he's almost immediately going to be a guy that people complain about. Only this time we get to do it for 5 years while he declines every season.

everyone here loved mango because he was "young" and had potential and finally given a chance to show it. lol now we bring in a seasoned vet that has actually won and the world is ending.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-1.18.37-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-12.31.32-PM.png

This guy is going to be our new Johnsson. Is he better than Johnsson? Of course. But at that cap hit, he's almost immediately going to be a guy that people complain about. Only this time we get to do it for 5 years while he declines every season.
I’m not seeing the similarities. Watching the players play helps.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
a 2nd round pick is a valuable asset? whats the % on a player picked in the 2nd round to even crack the nhl? better yet to even make an impact? exactly.

I know this was a rhetorical question, but about 50% of the 2nd round picks play games in the NHL and about half of those become 'regulars' for at least a season or two. Usually at least 1 star player is picked, sometimes even as much as 3.

So yeah if you ignore scouting differences, it's more likely the pick doesn't work out.

However that complete ignores the excitement and entertainment value it gives for fans. Even 1/32 is not that bad of a probability if the price is someone like Kucherov, Aho, DeBrincat. The whole draft is more exciting when you have picks, not to mention the few months leading up to it and the few years after anticipating how it will turn out. Sure if you don't care about prospects and the draft, picks mean nothing, but for us who are deeply into the draft, picks offer a lot entertainment and excitement.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well I think that's the point. Johnsson isn't signed for 5 years at $6 million.
Palat will also provide value likely for the first three years of the deal. So at most we’re worried about sub-7% of the cap for two years? Overwrought concerns.

Every year a half dozen different teams make these deals and a minute percentage of those actually end up in a severe cap crunch and uncompetitive team.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I think the cap space as a weapon window has already closed.

I do think we need to be smart with our money so that in the coming years we can sign all these high picks we've been drafting.

I'm cool with the Palat signing, it's an overpay but it's not a huge long mega deal. Can only have so many of those, so while I'm cool with this one, have to be more judicious going fwd. Between Hamilton last year, and Palat this year, I think we've hit our quota in terms of UFA contracts that could be hindrances in the future.

dont you think we have to actually wait and see these guys play an nhl game before we worry about their 2nd contracts that are literally years away?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Johnsson has hit 40 points in his career one time. Palat has done it 7 times, the only two times he didn't do it were when he played <65 games.

People were excited about Johnsson until he came in and had a dog shit season. If Palat has 11 points next year, then yeah, I think people will turn on him too and rightfully call for Fitz's head.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I know this was a rhetorical question, but about 50% of the 2nd round picks play games in the NHL and about half of those become 'regulars' for at least a season or two. Usually at least 1 star player is picked, sometimes even as much as 3.

So yeah if you ignore scouting differences, it's more likely the pick doesn't work out.

However that complete ignores the excitement and entertainment value it gives for fans. Even 1/32 is not that bad of a probability if the price is someone like Kucherov, Aho, DeBrincat. The whole draft is more exciting when you have picks, not to mention the few months leading up to it and the few years after anticipating how it will turn out. Sure if you don't care about prospects and the draft, picks mean nothing, but for us who are deeply into the draft, picks offer a lot entertainment and excitement.

i've had the last 10 years of that type of "fun" i'm past it. our season has basically become from the draft to the second week of UFA or the development camp.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Johnsson has hit 40 points in his career one time. Palat has done it 7 times, the only two times he didn't do it were when he played <65 games.

People were excited about Johnsson until he came in and had a dog shit season. If Palat has 11 points next year, then yeah, I think people will turn on him too and rightfully call for Fitz's head.
If Palat has 11 points next year there are problems much bigger than Palat.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

people were doing backflips here when they traded for mojo and mango! because they were young how did that work out

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Smart? We have almost no one signed long-term beyond Hamilton, Jack and Nico.

The Luke's and Simon's still have 3 years of ELC. When Luke and Nemec needs there 1st real contract, Nico will only have two years left on his existing contract. How smart do we have to be?
But we know Bratt needs to be signed. We know we have Mercer, Shara, hopefully Holtz hopefully Luke Hughes, hopefully Nemec. Goalies. Sieg's. Is Sev's still in the discussion? And now we have Palat and I assume you are advocating another guy.

I kind of had this discussion with Triumph a month ago, but the fact that we have so few guys locked up for the upcoming years, means we have to lock up a lot of guys.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It would have been pretty much standing pat if all they did yesterday was basically trade out Zacha and Subban for Erik Haula and Brendan Smith.
That was a premature posting. But I agree, that would have been standing pat.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably not the right thread...But I don't think I understand the B. Smith signing. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Reactions: Patrik26

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
people were doing backflips here when they traded for mojo and mango! because they were young how did that work out
Youngish wingers with decent point totals and good analytics.

Those guys though were clearly(or must have been) buoyed by playing with good players. Some are saying Palat was buoyed by playing with good players in TB, and to some extent he was, it helps any player to play with good players, but watching Palat in the playoffs and he was clearly a guy who made things happen on his own. He was not being carried. Much different situation then the Swede's.

And given his excellent playoff #'s a much much different situation then Tatar, who of course was benched on multiple occasions in the playoffs.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I think the Johnsson comparison comes from adding a guy with great analytics on another team as part of a great team/line. Palat played with Stamkos and Kucherov in the finals. He's going to play with Hischier and Bratt most likely today, possibly Hughes. Solid players but not yet Hart Trophy winners/contenders. Tatar also had great analytics on a worse line, but IDK what's going on there and why he didn't have the impact hoped for. Team building is an art not a science.

I've calmed down a bit, the cap will rise big time in 4 years, and Fitz added a guy with a skill set that the team needed, overpaid to do it but that's FA. You add talent and it only costs/money cap space, which the tam has.

If he's a no doubt top 9 winger for 3+ years it will work out. If we are wondering if Zetterlund is better than him and should be getting his minutes within 2 years then it's a disaster. Time will tell.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Probably not the right thread...But I don't think I understand the B. Smith signing. Doesn't really make sense to me.
Depth guy, but I think it opens the door to a B Smith-Nemec bottom pair. And he acts as a placeholder until Bahl or OK are truly ready to overtake him.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
And this is the exact mindset that gets teams in trouble. "Well we can't just stand pat." Yes you can, and it's often the best move.

They made their run at Gaudreau, it didn't happen. Take it on the chin and move on. Don't go sign a 31 year old to a giant cap hit for 5 years just to say you did something.
If there is compounded overpsys then yes. Or overpays for bad players.

This is not equivalent to Ristolanien in Philly. The Devils over payed for a good player who is exactly the type they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad