Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I have heard for the last 3 years that LHD was our position of strength in terms of prospects....And we are going to sideline Ty Smith, Bahl and Okhotyuk for Brendan "hasn't averaged more than 16 minutes a game for the last 4 years" Smith?

I am all for keeping a rookie defender with a stable vet...But I am not sure this was the right or needed solution? Not steadfast on that and not going to argue the point it just seems like a senseless signing to me?
Even if he’s a #7 Smith is the type of vet we need. Can easily slot into the lineup, can add some physicality.

I think/hope Okhotiuk makes the team. Very ambivalent on Bahl, Ty Smith is wearing invisible dump truck sized ankle weights when he skates, and Okh has that skating/hitting combo we sorely lack.

Reactions: devilsblood

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Maybe he takes Bastian's spot on PP1? What role did he serve in TB on the PP? Looks like he got some PP time but not on their PP1 when Point was healthy.
Generally played puck retriever below the line. We have a 1-3-1 setup with Hedman at the point, Stamkos-Point-Kucherov all around the circles, and one guy below the line that either acts as a distributor to the bumper or retrieves pucks and gets them back to Kucherov.

Since our PP is QB'd from the right halfwall it's a little atypical.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
so for everyone freaking the f*** out for some reason, what contract should he have gotten? I need to know the "amount" of overpay that it is in your eyes, even though by basically most of the big contract estimators its right in line with his value.

I would have been fine with $5m over 3 years. Anything more and it's just too much. And just because a contract estimator gives you a market value doesn't mean it's the right move for your team. Jfresh actually touched on this specifically in relation to the Palat contract. See below. If you read the full thread, it gives further context.

Reactions: Blackjack

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Generally played puck retriever below the line. We have a 1-3-1 setup with Hedman at the point, Stamkos-Point-Kucherov all around the circles, and one guy below the line that either acts as a distributor to the bumper or retrieves pucks and gets them back to Kucherov.

We could certainly slot him into that spot here.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007

Yeah I'm pretty sure Palat will open camp in Bastian's spot on PP1 then.

Bastian is 14 here

Palat is 18 here

I actually think Bastian is good on PP1 and this is just upgrading because on paper how can you have a 4th liner on your PP1? But idk maybe he has spillover effects with his game that Bastian just can't contribute. A few more pucks retrieved, a few more shots that go in. IDK hope it works out.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would have been fine with $5m over 3 years. Anything more and it's just too much. And just because a contract estimator gives you a market value doesn't mean it's the right move for your team. Jfresh actually touched on this specifically in relation to the Palat contract. See below. If you read the full thread, it gives further context.

So a very standard UFA type deal.

And standard UFA deals do typically have downsides to them. But I think the upside outweighs the downside.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah I'm pretty sure Palat will open camp in Bastian's spot on PP1 then.

Bastian is 14 here

Palat is 18 here

I actually think Bastian is good on PP1 and this is just upgrading because on paper how can you have a 4th liner on your PP1? But idk maybe he has spillover effects with his game that Bastian just can't contribute. A few more pucks retrieved, a few more shots that go in. IDK hope it works out.

A bit of a different setup so I can't say how well he'd fit when comparing it to Tampa. Tampa generally doesn't try to screen a ton with PP1 and relies more on puck movement and howitzers from Stamkos, but Palat is a pretty big body with good hands so he can take a more netfront role.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
love the idea of bastian getting on PP2. i’d imagine it would be some combination of Sharangovich, Mercer, Severson, Bastian and maybe haula?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You don’t need a chart to understand that a player coming off a down year and playoff benching (Tatar) isn’t the same as a guy coming off a solid year and 21 points in 23 playoff games. Why is he falling off a cliff?

The Tatar deal was a gamble and there were absolutely red flags. I’d rather have extended Tatar for two more years at $5 million than have this shit heap of a contract hanging around for five.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Again, this is just overvaluing a guy who has hit 20 goals once and isn't an offensive dynamo. Why are we putting him on PP1 over elite offensive guys like Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Hamilton, etc.?
etc isn't that great on the PP. We can put him in that spot.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The Tatar deal was a gamble and there were absolutely red flags. I’d rather have extended Tatar for two more years at $5 million than have this shit heap of a contract hanging around for five.
This is as reasonable as your meltdown on draft day. No matter what, meltdown mode. Oh no, the GM you think is mentally disabled might have to part with pick or two 4 years from now to get this deal off the books.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Eff that. Tatar is a dud, who was benched by multiple teams in the playoffs. Palat was second on TB in playoff points this past season. 27 playoff goals and 52 points in 71 games over the last 3 years.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
etc isn't that great on the PP. We can put him in that spot.

Bastian, Mercer, Sharangovich all preferable, especially Bastian given how effective he was and his ability to take the goalie’s eyes away.

Actually I think guys like Palat do make a difference in winning and losing. And this is coming from someone who’s worried about this contract.

What a bizarre statement.

He’s worth literally one win above replacement right now at his absolute peak. Acting like a second line winger is the difference between winning and losing is the bizarre statement.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
No, UFA tax is like an extra year and an extra million. This is two extra years and an extra million, and double the total dollars of a 3x5. It’s horrible.
Go back and read the tweet. EH projected Palat would get $6x5.

Bastian, Mercer, Sharangovich all preferable, especially Bastian given how effective he was and his ability to take the goalie’s eyes away.

He’s worth literally one win above replacement right now at his absolute peak. Acting like a second line winger is the difference between winning and losing is the bizarre statement.
So above you don't want to squeeze our elite offensive players to put Palat on PP1. But now you want to put Bastian on pp1 over Palat. Doesn't add up.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

He’s worth literally one win above replacement right now at his absolute peak.
Acting like a second line winger is the difference between winning and losing is the bizarre statement.
According to some, let's call it "imperfect", model.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The whole "he's only scored 20 goals once!" bullshit is the same disingenuous garbage people used to rag on Bratt and Hughes last year.

He had 18 goals this year in 76 games, 15 in 55 last year, and 17 in 69 last year. That's a couple bounces and a worldwide pandemic away from three straight 20 goal seasons.

The last three seasons he has 50 goals and 136 points in 202 games, that's 20 goals and 55 points per 82 games.

Some people are drooling over Andrew Copp, dude has passed 15 goals and 40 points once in his career, this past season.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Oh good grief :rolleyes:
I agree with you. This is not how even the most analytically driven teams view these players. Anyone with a clue could see he was a valuable glue guy that clicked with their top talent. Just how Nick Paul fits that team like a glove despite meh advanced stats. There is more to team building than looking at spreadsheets, and I like analytics.

Of course one player isn’t making a difference, even Johnny. The goalie will be the big factor.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
5 years for a 31 year old is a bit yikes, but I will wait for the AAV.
It is a bit over BUT this is exactly the type of player they needed to bring in. A winning veteran that should contribute on and off the ice. Can use one more of these types preferably on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad