Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
so much to unpack here.

a 2nd round pick is a valuable asset? whats the % on a player picked in the 2nd round to even crack the nhl? better yet to even make an impact? exactly.
our contending window isn't even open yet we don't even know if we will have one
Depends on the contract, could be more than a second round pick. The Flyers couldn't unload JvR for less than a 1st. Zack Kassian's cap hit was only $3.2m and he's just 31 years old, and the Oilers had to trade down in the 1st and tack on a 2nd and a 3rd just to move him. It's not cheap.

Think about the players you can alternatively acquire with those picks. It's valuable capital that is not only being used to move a player, but also then can't be used to acquire players. And the domino effect is that every other draft pick/asset you have becomes that much more painful to move.

Long story short, you should not be in the business of trading away assets just to offload contracts.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I agree with this.

That lineup would look damn great with a "Pastrnak or "Tkachuk" in that top 3. Much deeper.

Curious to see what Fitz does going forward.

Also, really hope Holtz turns into that sniper at the NHL level.
Crazy idea, offer sheet Jason Robertson.
Dallas has 11 mil in space and have to sign Robertson and Oettinger. Hintz and Gurianov need deals after this season.

I think if you offer sheet Oettinger, they match it. But Robertson? It would absolutely suck for them to lose him but how could they afford all the guys that need deals.

The NHL is an old man's club and no one is going to be offer sheeting anyone but it should be done.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
As I said yesterday when Gaudreau came off the board, I would have stood pat and rolled with what we had for now unless another trade opportunity popped up before the season. No move is better than a stupid move that you're going to regret.
The team needs to start moving forward. Palat helps that on ice and off ice.

Standing pat sends a terrible signal to everyone.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Depends on the contract, could be more than a second round pick. The Flyers couldn't unload JvR for less than a 1st. Zack Kassian's cap hit was only $3.2m and he's just 31 years old, and the Oilers had to trade down in the 1st and tack on a 2nd and a 3rd just to move him. It's not cheap.

Think about the players you can alternatively acquire with those picks. It's valuable capital that is not only being used to move a player, but also then can't be used to acquire players. And the domino effect is that every other draft pick/asset you have becomes that much more painful to move.

Long story short, you should not be in the business of trading away assets just to offload contracts.

you have no idea what the situation will be like in minimum 3 years time lol as the cap goes up the floor goes up bottom teams are going to need to hit that higher floor they will be more then happy with a 2nd round pick. whatever i don't care its a solid move and dont sweat the cap but you do you

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Crazy idea, offer sheet Jason Robertson.
Dallas has 11 mil in space and have to sign Robertson and Oettinger. Hintz and Gurianov need deals after this season.

I think if you offer sheet Oettinger, they match it. But Robertson? It would absolutely suck for them to lose him but how could they afford all the guys that need deals.

The NHL is an old man's club and no one is going to be offer sheeting anyone but it should be done.
Robertson is their best forward, they are not going to lose him to an offer sheet

Reactions: Devils090

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The team needs to start moving forward. Palat helps that on ice and off ice.

Standing pat sends a terrible signal to everyone.
And this is the exact mindset that gets teams in trouble. "Well we can't just stand pat." Yes you can, and it's often the best move.

They made their run at Gaudreau, it didn't happen. Take it on the chin and move on. Don't go sign a 31 year old to a giant cap hit for 5 years just to say you did something.

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why are you avoiding the question? Tatar’s money is a factor in who they could sign this year, and Marchment went for the same price. Who would you rather have?
The alleged Gaudreau offer (and the cap space we still have) proves they could have signed both Palat and Marchment if they wanted, Tatar has nothing to do with that. You're not making decisions on five-year contracts based on the first year where you have plenty of cap space. Eventually you'll create a mythical world where we could have signed five guys if not for Tatar, ignoring we weren't gonna sign five big-money guys anyway this offseason.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Robertson is their best forward, they are not going to lose him to an offer sheet
Is it not worth a try? They have to sign him for 7+ and Oettinger probably for 7+ and sign Gurianov and Hintz after this season. Something has to give. If he doesn't sign the offer sheet, oh well... but it's at least worth a try.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Couldn't care less about the money. You're always going to overpay for UFAs. I like the move.

Palat-Hughes-Sharangovich
Bratt-Hischier-Holtz
Tatar-Haula-Mercer
Wood-McLeod/Boqvist-Bastian

I would still like a top six RW.

Palat-Hughes-NEW GUY
Bratt-Hischier-Holtz
Sharangovich-Haula-Mercer
Wood-McLeod/Boqvist-Bastian
I’d easily sub Tatar for Zetterlund, but I like the idea of Palat with Hughes. When the occasion calls, he could swap with Bratt too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Serious question...Can a team that is currently 27th in Cap spending really give out a bad 5 year contract?

I am serious...I mean what are we saving these bullets for? If we add another 7 or 8 million were still barely in the middle of the league as of right now.

I have been hearing since 2015 how we were going to use this cap space as a "weapon".

Seems to me some are waiting for a day that obviously is never going to come.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
He’s been good for years. The Avs aren’t run by a clown.

Nichushkin wasn’t coming here, that wasn’t the point.

Would you rather have Tatar than Marchment?

This is all the same shit that we heard when we traded for Subban and signed Simmonds. Those moves worked out terribly but made a ton more sense at the time than this one does.

LOL one is old and the other is young. Durrr
Joe Sakic was literally being booed by his own fanbase a few years ago. Go back and look at the avs around the Roy saga.

He was considered a nothing GM that they needed to get rid of.

Valeri Nichsukin has absolutely not been a great player before last year. Including this spike year, Nichuskin averages 35 points a year. Excluding the spike it drops to 29. He had not passed 30 points in a year except his first year in the league. Christ he had 10 points in 57 games (all assists) in his last year Dallas.

He may continue his hot rise that he saw last year but don't revision his past based on it. Again I have to repeat that Nichuskin signed with the best team in the league forms larger and longer contract than Palat which finishes 1 year younger .

You can't praise that contract as incredible and then freak out over Palats.

Palats contract is longer and pricier than I think everyone hear would want but it is not some catastrophe like you said. The Devils need his type of player going forward .

How anyone can watch this past season and believe standing pat was a better option is beyond me.

Reactions: My3Sons

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Serious question...Can a team that is currently 27th in Cap spending really give out a bad 5 year contract?

I am serious...I mean what are we saving these bullets for? If we add another 7 or 8 million were still barely in the middle of the league as of right now.

I have been hearing since 2015 how we were going to use this cap space as a "weapon".

Waiting for the economy to crash and the cap to shrink 15M I guess.

Stocking the doomsday bunker with crappy MREs is no way to live your life.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Seriously. At some point, especially when the young core is there and locked up, you need to start spending to fill out the rest of the roster with legit NHL talent and experience. Can’t just continue to fill the line up around the core with low ceiling 20 year olds on ELCs and expect the team to take the next step.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-1.18.37-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-12.31.32-PM.png

This guy is going to be our new Johnsson. Is he better than Johnsson? Of course. But at that cap hit, he's almost immediately going to be a guy that people complain about. Only this time we get to do it for 5 years while he declines every season.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Is it not worth a try? They have to sign him for 7+ and Oettinger probably for 7+ and sign Gurianov and Hintz after this season. Something has to give. If he doesn't sign the offer sheet, oh well... but it's at least worth a try.
I dont think Gurianov will make much of an impact on their planning and they have a year to figure out Hintz. Pavelski is also off their books next season. You would have to make a wildly unrealistic offer sheet for Dallas to not match

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Seriously. At some point, especially when the young core is there and locked up, you need to start spending to fill out the rest of the roster with legit NHL talent and experience. Can’t just continue to fill the line up around the core with low ceiling 20 year olds on ELCs and expect the team to take the next step.
My thoughts exactly...Keeping on with throwing out young players without any real support is child abuse :laugh:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Seems to me some are waiting for a day that obviously is never going to come.I'm

I think the cap space as a weapon window has already closed.

I do think we need to be smart with our money so that in the coming years we can sign all these high picks we've been drafting.

I'm cool with the Palat signing, it's an overpay but it's not a huge long mega deal. Can only have so many of those, so while I'm cool with this one, have to be more judicious going fwd. Between Hamilton last year, and Palat this year, I think we've hit our quota in terms of UFA contracts that could be hindrances in the future.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-1.18.37-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-12.31.32-PM.png

This guy is going to be our new Johnsson. Is he better than Johnsson? Of course. But at that cap hit, he's almost immediately going to be a guy that people complain about. Only this time we get to do it for 5 years while he declines every season.
Johnsson’s deal expires this year and has caused literally zero irreparable harm. Tatar too.

For all we know, Fitz manages to dump both of them this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad