Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
i get the possession metric argument, but copp is a center - he SHOULD have good possession #s. but it wouldn't be his role here. @RSeen i agree w you that copp is a good get (esp his defense), but palat is great for other reasons, and utilization is an important consideration.

our FO seems to be going for more points/offense w this pick up

wrote this before, but if 6M is killing us in 4 years time (if the cap is up to 90M), then we're spending to cap. 6M/90M is 6.66%, and there's no way we're spending 93.33% on other players, where Palat's will be the worst contract

also, flyers are a shittily run org when it comes to cap management, and not the typical team to be modeled after. we are nothing like them at this point (though i WILL agree that this type of overpayment shouldn't become typical)
That is not how it works. It is not as if centers have better possession metrics than wingers. Its driven by shot attempts.

Additionally, if people do not think the playoff runs and Palat's physical style will not catch up to him, you are dreaming.

This is a poor signing. I didn't want Gaudreau but I'd rather have him at 7 years $10M than this.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I definitely think it's reasonable to be happy to add Palat and also concerned about how his contract ages. I'm fine with the idea that good teams will have to use assets to move contracts eventually, but it's also always going to be riskier paying 2nd line talent.

But Palat's main role here will be a veteran from a winning pedigree to help change the losing culture. If he does that, he's worth every pick it takes to move his contract in 4 years.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
That is not how it works. It is not as if centers have better possession metrics than wingers. Its driven by shot attempts.

Additionally, if people do not think the playoff runs and Palat's physical style will not catch up to him, you are dreaming.

This is a poor signing.
which possession metrics are you talkin about then? i'm seeing

Copp: CF% 48.1%
Palat: CF% 53.7%

same trend is seen across all situations and PP. point me to copp's better possession metrics
-------
also, I don't think people don't think his physical style and playoff runs will catch up to him, but again -- in 3-4yrs time, if this is a cap crunch contract, then we've gone wrong elsewhere, or we've succeeded as a team that is gunning for deep runs (since we're spending to cap). agree it's an overpayment, but not a poor signing

Reactions: Guttersniped

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He’s probably overpaid by 1 million and 1 year. Oh well. He should really help this young team for at least the first two years. It’s entirely possible that he ages gracefully too. Don’t care, excited to see how he helps us next year. We’ll get out of the deal if we need to.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This deal isn't the type of "bad" deal than handcuffs us. It might be bad in the sense that it's probably a million per year too much and a year too long but it's not a handcuff. It's fine, it'll be fine.
Honestly, I don't think it's any worse than Zajac's contract was, and we survived that. I think we'll survive this one. It may not be pretty the last couple years, but most free agent contracts aren't.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
This is a good signing. The devils added a goalie and two veteran forwards. A veteran defenseman that has jam. Personally palat is a better fit for what we needed than JG. Of course it’s an overpay. Every free agent for most part gets contracts that look sorta bad. That’s why they are free agents. Now we have wood. Haula Tatar palat. All grizzled vets which is what this team needed we were too young now only the best of the young forwards will crack the lineup.

Reactions: StevensRocks

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Think this signing is more in line with New Jersey's needs than Gaudreau would have been.

But from Palat's perspective, the lessened workload in May and June will likely extension his career.

devs1616

Jan 26, 2014
Don't love the term, don't love the AAV but that's just what you get in free agency. To get a guy you want give him the extra 6 year or extra mil... Or he goes to the next offer. One overpay doesn't sink the cap.

As far as a fit it seems solid. Would still like a big add to round out the top 6. JT Miller trade and extension would be at the top of my list personally.

Other than that a couple contracts may need to head out the door and you have good offseason.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Btw, he’s absolutely going to block young wingers like Gritsyuk and Holtz. The $6 million guy plays, the $6 million guy gets the ice time.

This is such a Glenn Sather move, Fitz needs to go.

Don't love the term, don't love the AAV but that's just what you get in free agency.

No, no it’s not. Not if your GM isn’t a clown. Nichushkin was pending UFA and signed a great contract.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don’t understand why people keep saying this. We JUST watched a team miss out on Johnny Gaudreau because the cost to move their bad contract was a fist round pick and they didn’t want to pay it.

Bad contracts have consequences.

They were signed one at a time.
You mean like Stanley Cups? How many atrocious contracts did Chicago have? How many does Tampa currently have? Every deal has risks. If you're scared of paying good players then you end up as what the Senators, Yotes, and Sabres have been for the past decade (and quite frankly, what we were under Shero).

How many times have we criticized the Rangers for their awful signings, yet they somehow always find a way out. Vegas keeps finding a way out. Tampa and Chicago always find a way out. It's not 2008 any more. Contracts are commodities and it's very easy to dump cap.

This is by no means an albatross. It's a little more money and one more year than I had hoped, but who cares? Again, we have +15M in cap space right now and +45M in cap space next year. The cap is fine.

It's weird to focus in on Philadelphia, unquestionably the worst run organization in the NHL, and act like them and them alone are what our future holds. The signed far worse players to longer deals for higher AAV and gave them NMCs.

You people whine and complain about how the team sucks and isn't improving, but the second we go out and sign some good players you complain about how the cap is no longer 100% optimal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL there’s no way this ‘blocks’ Holtz. The Devils needed at least one legit top six winger as it is, we were previously just handing those spots to Holtz and Mercer. If more young hockey players step up that’s a good thing, makes it all the easier to fill the roster without giving out other potentially bad contracts.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
You mean like Stanley Cups? How many atrocious contracts did Chicago have? How many does Tampa currently have? Every deal has risks. If you're scared of paying good players then you end up as what the Senators, Yotes, and Sabres have been for the past decade (and quite frankly, what we were under Shero).

How many times have we criticized the Rangers for their awful signings, yet they somehow always find a way out. Vegas keeps finding a way out. Tampa and Chicago always find a way out. It's not 2008 any more. Contracts are commodities and it's very easy to dump cap.

This is by no means an albatross. It's a little more money and one more year than I had hoped, but who cares? Again, we have +15M in cap space right now and +45M in cap space next year. The cap is fine.

It's weird to focus in on Philadelphia, unquestionably the worst run organization in the NHL, and act like them and them alone are what our future holds. The signed far worse players to longer deals for higher AAV and gave them NMCs.

You people whine and complain about how the team sucks and isn't improving, but the second we go out and sign some good players you complain about how the cap is no longer 100% optimal.

Vegas isn’t finding a way out. Their roster is turning to shit because of horrendous cap management. The Rangers could have been in a position to add a Gaudreau to their lineup, but they couldn’t even think about it because of some bad contracts.

Also, Chicago and Tampa really did not have any bad contracts on the books when they were winning. Maybe Brian Campbell in Chicago? That’s about it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I definitely think it's reasonable to be happy to add Palat and also concerned about how his contract ages. I'm fine with the idea that good teams will have to use assets to move contracts eventually, but it's also always going to be riskier paying 2nd line talent.

But Palat's main role here will be a veteran from a winning pedigree to help change the losing culture. If he does that, he's worth every pick it takes to move his contract in 4 years.

I love that point. People rightfully complain that we have a losing culture. Bringing in a guy who's done nothing but win recently is perfect. I think guys like Jack and Nico are going to love it, try to see what they can learn from Palat and develop better habits.

Not to say Palat will singlehandedly turn this franchise around, but having his experience should help both on and off the ice

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Realistically a deal like this was what Palat was probably going to get on the open market. It was also reported that we were interested in Palat early on. I can't string together any logical conclusion that this was a panic move.

It was Fitz moving on and signing another player. If we went into the season without making another decent move I'd be more upset.

Exactly, we paid open market value. It had to be done. And given that there are exactly 0 bad contracts on the roster, this is a gamble worth taking, especially because Palat is exactly what the Devils top 6 is missing.

I’m sure a majority of the ones being overdramatic about this are upset about not signing JG and were fine dishing out 10mil+ for 7 years for a somewhat redundant skill set. That contract would have been even more crippling with worse long term repercussions if things went south.

So the Devils missed out on an elite player with a redundant skill set and would have carried a massive contract. They instead maybe overpaid for a player whose style and experience fill more of a need and is paid 4 less mill a year for 2 less years.

I’m good with this. If it becomes a burden, teams find ways out of bad contracts.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Oh right, Stanley Cup champions are built by handing out clown contracts to 31 year old 2nd line forwards, how could I have forgotten?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Exactly, we paid open market value. It had to be done. And given that there are exactly 0 bad contracts on the roster, this is a gamble worth taking, especially because Palat is exactly what the Devils top 6 is missing.

I’m sure a majority of the ones being overdramatic about this are upset about not signing JG and were fine dishing out 10mil+ for 7 years for a somewhat redundant skill set. That contract would have been even more crippling with worse long term repercussions if things went south.

So the Devils missed out on an elite player with a redundant skill set and would have carried a massive contract. They instead maybe overpaid for a player whose style and experience fill more of a need and is paid 4 less mill a year for 2 less years.

I’m good with this. If it becomes a burden, teams find ways out of bad contracts.
You don't understand, signing Gaudreau would have blocked Gritsyuk and forced us to waive Bastian. Huge mistake bro.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Plus all this paranoia about how one bad contract will turn into seven and we'll never be able to get out of it, how many years did we have the most cap space in the league? And what did we get for taking on other teams' bad deals? A random 2nd for Marc Savard, that's it along with some short-term middle-tier guys that never moved the needle. Teams find a way out most of the time without paying a big price.

If one bad contract turns into seven a la Philly and Vegas, then yeah feel free to fillet and roast Fitz all you want. But can we just acknowledge that one potential bad contract is just that...ONE?! Not to mention Philly and Vegas actually compounded it by trading assets for most of their bad deals, it's not even just they have multiple bad contracts - it's horrendous asset management acquiring them on top of that. One mid-level signing where they gave up nothing else is in no way, shape or form comparable to that.

Reactions: OmNomNom

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He’s going to block the Russian guy that isn’t even in North America yet, nor has shown if he’s the real thing, right. Holtz will be playing this season at some point.

You’d think we signed a 35 year old with these posts. Players don’t just combust when they hit 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad