Confirmed with Link: Weekesbomb: Palat to NJ for five-year deal

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I think the 4 years but is such a key here. Assuming Sharangovich doesn't score 40 goals or something stupid, we can realistically afford to keep all our guys until Nemec and Luke come off their ELCs, which looks like it will be 4 years minimum. Moving one year of 36 year old Palat to a rebuilding team at that point won't cost a ton. Or maybe he will be ready to hang it up and we can pull the same LTIR bullshit everyone else does. Or stash someone in LTIR until the playoffs and miraculously they're healed and in game shape. One overpaid player does not ruin your cap unless they're making $10 million+

There is no reason to believe he’ll be easy to move at the end of his contract. None.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
You don’t need the perfect deal, just look for value. That’s what the good GMs do.

This is not value, this is a pointless vanity signing by a gm hoping to save his job.
i'll agree with this in part, but i don't think it's completely pointless - Palat isn't a bad player. we have Shara as a top LW and (shudder) Tatar. there were definitely better LW options/deals, but we'll never know if we were rejected for who we are, and perhaps Palat is the only one who bit

if it's vanity/desperation, it's strictly because of the contract we had to tender, which shouldn't really hamper us in the long term that badly

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
There is no reason to believe he’ll be easy to move at the end of his contract. None.
The ease with which every cap team in the league has been getting rid of their bad contracts for years says otherwise. Unless you're really worried about us paying a 2nd to move a contract when we're a team that should be making deep playoff runs.

Why are you avoiding the question? Tatar’s money is a factor in who they could sign this year, and Marchment went for the same price. Who would you rather have?
I'd rather have Tatar for 1 more year than Marchment for 4 more years, because neither is a good player.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
There are a few reasons. One, there are always shitty teams that need to reach the cap floor. Two, it will be a different cap environment in 4-5 years time. Three, he might still be useful at the end of the contract.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
thanks for the response!

it does offset the benefit of the hischier contract, i do agree with that, but i think an expanding cap should help relieve some of the issues going forward. i think many here agree it's not a great contract by term/AAV, but our cost savings gave us some cushion, to allow us to afford this blunder/overpayment

i think if we're going to wait for perfect trades/deals at UFA, we'll never get anywhere, because we're competing with 31 other teams. in an ideal world, we'd have a rolling set of cheap prospect deals and value RFAs, but we don't have that reality

It doesn’t really though. The rest of the core is locked up once Bratt gets signed - still leaving more than enough room for others too. And you’re right, with the expanding cap, even less of a concern.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
Btw, he’s absolutely going to block young wingers like Gritsyuk and Holtz. The $6 million guy plays, the $6 million guy gets the ice time.

This is such a Glenn Sather move, Fitz needs to go.

No, no it’s not. Not if your GM isn’t a clown. Nichushkin was pending UFA and signed a great contract.
Valeri Nichuskin has had 1 great year after being an absolute disappointment of a draft pick. He also just resigned to the team that he broke out on and won Stanley Cup with. He also got a massive contract.

His contract also takes him to 35! 1 year younger than Palat will be at the end of his.

Also even with all of the above, what in the world makes you think that the Devils have the same pull as the Stanley Cup winning Avalanche?

Your other post about marchment is also bizarre? He is the literally definition of risk. He has never been good ever besides last year and he got a fair sized contract.

The Devils do not need cap space currently. The cap is projecting to sky rocket in the next few years and so the contract should be fine.

The Devils do not need to be handing young players roster spots.

The Devils need to learn how to win. The Devils need to learn how to compete and they need to be playing competitive hockey passed Christmas.

This signing helps with that immensely.

Also I don't see how Palat isn't staple to Hughes wing, he is an absolute perfect fit for him and Sharangovich.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Sorry, I’m not ignoring you, just can’t respond to everything.

Because it’s not by itself, it’s sitting next to good, but big contracts to Hughes, Hischier, Hamilton, and presumably Bratt.

The team has drafted early and well, at different points, over the last seven years, and that left them with an abundance of elite young players and prospects. Those are the good contracts, and if we’re ever going to compete with the best teams in the league, we need more of them, and we need to surround them with good value signings and productive ELCs.

This contract WIPES OUT the benefit of the Hischier contract because it expires the same year. We no longer have a bargain $7 million contract. We have Hischier + Palat at $13 million, which is terrible.

This is a terribly arbitrary way of looking at contracts and team construction.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm fine with the signing the team desperately needs veteran leadership and this guy is the definition of that. i'm fine with the price and the years too because honestly if you want someone to come here you are going to have to overpay thats just a given. who cares if this doesn't "age" well none of the long term deals do your paying for him in years 1-3. if he falls off the rails ship him out for a 2nd round pick. its really not that big of a deal.

this team absolutely 100% still needs a top line talent.

its a solid move though otherwise and people gotta get over the fear of age and the salary cap its really really stupid.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
There are a few reasons. One, there are always shitty teams that need to reach the cap floor. Two, it will be a different cap environment in 4-5 years time. Three, he might still be useful at the end of the contract.

The first one is a myth. There are lots of guys on LTIR that can take up cap space without costing a dime. There are way more bad contracts out there than bad teams to soak them up.

Everyone keeps talking about a rising cap, but that doesn’t do much to neutralize a bad contract. If the cap goes up 10% over the next four years the hit percentage goes from 7.3% to 6.6%. Big whoop.

Stillman has a better chance of turning into a 30-30 power forward than Palat does of being a good 35 year old. You know why people are mad about that pick? Because you evaluate based on the likely outcome, not the best possible outcome.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I’m saying that they cost the same, and having Tatar’s $4.5 million on the books is a factor in Fitz’s decisions, so let’s not pretend that bad contract didn’t have consequences, just like this much worse one will.
How?? We were literally in on Johnny and signed Palat. We were going to add another forward this year regardless. Tatar literally doesn't matter. You're actually just making things up.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I like the signing but am not feeling as optimistic as usual for this upcoming season. Maybe it’s because the dream off-season has not gone as expected. Missing out of slafkovsky and gaudreau now.

The thing that stings is last night the “insiders” are reporting that the devils have signed gaudreau and they are just working out the details of the contract and then at 645 they announce that he signed in Columbus so idk wtf happened but devils would have had the smallest top line if they signed gaudreau. Palat will be good for this team but it's one year too rich

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Valeri Nichuskin has had 1 great year after being an absolute disappointment of a draft pick. He also just resigned to the team that he broke out on and won Stanley Cup with. He also got a massive contract.
He’s been good for years. The Avs aren’t run by a clown.

His contract also takes him to 35! 1 year younger than Palat will be at the end of his.

Also even with all of the above, what in the world makes you think that the Devils have the same pull as the Stanley Cup winning Avalanche?
Nichushkin wasn’t coming here, that wasn’t the point.
Your other post about marchment is also bizarre? He is the literally definition of risk. He has never been good ever besides last year and he got a fair sized contract.
Would you rather have Tatar than Marchment?
The Devils do not need cap space currently. The cap is projecting to sky rocket in the next few years and so the contract should be fine.

The Devils do not need to be handing young players roster spots.

The Devils need to learn how to win. The Devils need to learn how to compete and they need to be playing competitive hockey passed Christmas.

This signing helps with that immensely.

Also I don't see how Palat isn't staple to Hughes wing, he is an absolute perfect fit for him and Sharangovich.
This is all the same shit that we heard when we traded for Subban and signed Simmonds. Those moves worked out terribly but made a ton more sense at the time than this one does.

LOL absolutely true.

LOL one is old and the other is young. Durrr

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
The first one is a myth. There are lots of guys on LTIR that can take up cap space without costing a dime. There are way more bad contracts out there than bad teams to soak them up.

Everyone keeps talking about a rising cap, but that doesn’t do much to neutralize a bad contract. If the cap goes up 10% over the next four years the hit percentage goes from 7.3% to 6.6%. Big whoop.
hey man, lol responding to another of your posts

why is 6.6% that bad? if we buy him out and it drops to 3.3%, is that also bad?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Stillman has a better chance of turning into a 30-30 power forward than Palat does of being a good 35 year old. You know why people are mad about that pick? Because you evaluate based on the likely outcome, not the best possible outcome.
The likely outcome isn’t that he turns into a useless player 2 years into the deal. That’s probably the same likelihood of him being the same player today as in the final year of his deal. The likeliest outcome is that he’s what we paid for for 2-3 years and then falls off. I do not really care about the last year or 2, that will be dealt with.

Reactions: Devils731

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Have we always been this hysterical?

I can't tell if I am just apathetic after years of this or if most of you are just being babies.

Maybe 50/50 lol.
Oh, this is definitely bad team fatigue. This org just straight up has not earned the benefit of the doubt on anything, so I get it kinda.

Imagine a baby penguin learning to swim around the tip of the southern Chilean coast and getting thrashed into the rocks a thousand times. We are that baby penguin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad