Pre-Game Talk: Week of being back at the infirmary (Buf, @Car, @Nsh)

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I didn’t think I’d have to say this, but heterosexual people aren’t marginalized.

I’m sure the LGBTQ+ community appreciates a professional sports organization supporting them in the community.

Props to the Avalanche, in my opinion.

Heterosexual people are marginalized all the time.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Heterosexual people are marginalized all the time.

That's basically the equivalent of "white lives matter".

Like... yeah of course heterosexual people get marginalized, but not as a group, and not because of their sexuality.

The fact that a well liked post suggested someone go to pride night because they don't like military propaganda night is proof enough that the reverse is not true.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That’s awesome, so why can’t we just play hockey instead of needing to gimmick the game?

I’m not here clamouring for heterosexual night or anything. Just play the damn game.

I mean, I certainly hope you wouldn't. Because heterosexuality is the dominant norm in our society, and has been throughout our recent history. I mean, think about how long it has taken to legalize same-sex marriage, and all of the ongoing resistance to it? From that perspective, every single day has been and is heterosexual day. There's no need to celebrate or bring awareness to something that has literally become the accepted foundational norm, and which has never been institutionally persecuted.

As much as I view large organizations doing things like this cynically (PR), I think there's value to something like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: hooverdam

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
if it were up to me there would be no pride night, no military glorification night, no Here's How Adorable the Aurora U8 Team Is night, no vaguely-worded holiday night that can't legally be denominational, no adopt-a-puppy night. There would further be no Pledge of Allegiance, no Mike Bloomberg advertisements, no Taylor Swift music, no reminders about how Coors Lite is the team sponsor, and no interviews where players are allowed to say they have to keep playing their game. It would be 20 hockey players and as few superflous details as possible.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
That's basically the equivalent of "white lives matter".

Like... yeah of course heterosexual people get marginalized, but not as a group, and not because of their sexuality.

The fact that a well liked post suggested someone go to pride night because they don't like military propaganda night is proof enough that the reverse is not true.

I have no idea what the equivalent of "white lives matters" means or how it pertains to this. The statement was made that heterosexuals are not marginalized. This is demonstrably untrue.

It's perfectly possible that within localized enough groups that individual heterosexuals are marginalized because of their heterosexuality, but I'm not trying to debate whether one group or another is a minority, as that seems pretty obvious. Intrinsically, there is nothing about being a heterosexual that precludes marginalization.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
if it were up to me there would be no pride night, no military glorification night, no Here's How Adorable the Aurora U8 Team Is night, no vaguely-worded holiday night that can't legally be denominational, no adopt-a-puppy night. There would further be no Pledge of Allegiance, no Mike Bloomberg advertisements, no Taylor Swift music, no reminders about how Coors Lite is the team sponsor, and no interviews where players are allowed to say they have to keep playing their game. It would be 20 hockey players and as few superflous details as possible.

I've often wanted to watch a game with no announcers. Just a mics along the boards every 15-20 feet. The only sound would be the players and the crowd and if absolutely necessary, the PA system music during stoppages in play. I'm sure the novelty would wear off eventually, but it would be an awesome one-off experience.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I mean, I certainly hope you wouldn't. Because heterosexuality is the dominant norm in our society, and has been throughout our recent history. I mean, think about how long it has taken to legalize same-sex marriage, and all of the ongoing resistance to it? From that perspective, every single day has been and is heterosexual day. There's no need to celebrate or bring awareness to something that has literally become the accepted foundational norm, and which has never been institutionally persecuted.

As much as I view large organizations doing things like this cynically (PR), I think there's value to something like this.

Every day is not "heterosexual day." That's absurd on the face if it. LGBT pride night is a thing because it's declared to be a thing. It makes no difference what the societal norm is.

There is no need to "celebrate" immutable characteristics of people. They are immutable characteristics.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I've often wanted to watch a game with no announcers. Just a mics along the boards every 15-20 feet. The only sound would be the players and the crowd and if absolutely necessary, the PA system music during stoppages in play. I'm sure the novelty would wear off eventually, but it would be an awesome one-off experience.

there is. And, because fate is capricious, today is its 10th anniversary.

spoiler: we lost

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Cool.

What’s any of this propaganda got to do with hockey?

I don’t care if you like men, women, both, animals, plush toys or anything that tickles your fancy.

I don’t need gimmick nights about anybody’s sexuality. Put on an Avalanche jersey and let’s go support the team at the game.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Cool.

What’s any of this propaganda got to do with hockey?

I don’t care if you like men, women, both, animals, plush toys or anything that tickles your fancy.

I don’t need gimmick nights about anybody’s sexuality. Put on an Avalanche jersey and let’s go support the team at the game.

Propoganda...well, that just about says it all. Of course you don't give a ****.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Every day is not "heterosexual day." That's absurd on the face if it. LGBT pride night is a thing because it's declared to be a thing. It makes no difference what the societal norm is.

There is no need to "celebrate" immutable characteristics of people. They are immutable characteristics.
upload_2020-2-28_12-50-21.gif

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I have no idea what the equivalent of "white lives matters" means or how it pertains to this. The statement was made that heterosexuals are not marginalized. This is demonstrably untrue.

It's perfectly possible that within localized enough groups that individual heterosexuals are marginalized because of their heterosexuality, but I'm not trying to debate whether one group or another is a minority, as that seems pretty obvious. Intrinsically, there is nothing about being a heterosexual that precludes marginalization.

How can you miss such a painfully obvious point. Of course people who are heterosexual have been marginalized in various ways. But heterosexuals are not marginalized for being heterosexual. Heterosexual people have not been banned from marrying other heterosexual people. They have not been lynched for being heterosexual. They have not been jailed for being heterosexual. They have not been bullied in school for being heterosexual. Come up with whatever "well, hypothetically..." BS scenarios you want -- it's a fact that the above is true.

Yet people in the LQGBT+ community have been and are, constantly, marginalized and persecuted for the above. It's changing -- slowly (it was not until 2012 that US states began legalizing same sex marriage?), but it's ongoing. That is what the celebration is for -- and to raise awareness of ongoing marginalization specifically for being not heterosexual. Maybe if you need a little primer you could just turn to good ole Wikipedia. Where you would find both a history of violence against LGBTQ people in the US (attacked for being LGBTQ), and facts such as this:
In 2014, the FBI reported that 20.8% of hate crimes reported to police in 2013 was founded on perceived sexual orientation. Sixty-one percent of those attacks were against gay men.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
My local hockey team hosted their first pride night some years ago and when I read some online reactions to it, it really opened my eyes on why those nights are still needed.

Exactly. And it's why it's a hell of a lot more relevant to hockey than some of the other nights they have. There is a lot of homophobia within the hockey world. There's a reason no athlete (this is a much larger than hockey problem) ever wants to come out.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
How can you miss such a painfully obvious point. Of course people who are heterosexual have been marginalized in various ways. But heterosexuals are not marginalized for being heterosexual. Heterosexual people have not been banned from marrying other heterosexual people. They have not been lynched for being heterosexual. They have not been jailed for being heterosexual. They have not been bullied in school for being heterosexual. Come up with whatever "well, hypothetically..." BS scenarios you want -- it's a fact that the above is true.

Yet people in the LQGBT+ community have been and are, constantly, marginalized and persecuted for the above. It's changing -- slowly (it was not until 2012 that US states began legalizing same sex marriage?), but it's ongoing. That is what the celebration is for -- and to raise awareness of ongoing marginalization specifically for being not heterosexual. Maybe if you need a little primer you could just turn to good ole Wikipedia. Where you would find both a history of violence against LGBTQ people in the US (attacked for being LGBTQ), and facts such as this:

Okay. I personally choose to celebrate choices that end in positive results rather than just the happy accident of whatever sexuality I happen to be born with. If you feel whatever groups victimhood needs some special night to "make right", then whatever. I have no idea how this furthers that goal rather than to just perpetuate the divide that is the cause for marginalization in the first place or what that has to do with hockey.

To each their own I suppose.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Okay. I personally choose to celebrate choices that end in positive results rather than just the happy accident of whatever sexuality I happen to be born with. If you feel whatever groups victimhood needs some special night to "make right", then whatever. I have no idea how this furthers that goal rather than to just perpetuate the divide that is the cause for marginalization in the first place or what that has to do with hockey.

To each their own I suppose.

If you believe a celebration and raising awareness perpetuates a divide that is very much a you problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad