Buffalo Bills Week 5 -- Buffalo (3-1) at Houston (3-1) Sun 10/6 · 1:00 PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
On the one scoring drive the bills had in the 3rd Q,, there was a break in the action so the commentary was chatting about some shit, but the cam was on all the bills O line. They looked GASSED. As if they were playing in overtime in Denver, just sucking wind. This was like 4 minutes into the second half.

Partying after Jacksonville too much?! Lay off the wings or SOMEthing.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Regarding what I'd do with the lines and draft:

Defense. Buffalo's zone heavy 4-2-5 defense has the same strengths and weaknesses as the Tampa 2. To run this style of defense, the GM needs to pour resources into the defensive line. Linebackers and defensive backs can be trained up to starters and contributors due to the zone heavy nature of the defense.

For this defense to be effective, the defense has to be able to both read and react (the base) and attack (the adjustment). To do both effectively, you either need a ton of stars on the line (think 2000s Tampa Bay with Sapp, Rice, McFarland) or you need waves (think 1990s Dallas rotating 7 different defensive linemen into the mix). Based on what Buffalo has already, I'd advocate for a Dallas style defense which has a run group and a pass group.

The Bills will have Rousseau, Epenesa, and Miller at end, and Oliver, Jones, and Carter at tackle. Rousseau is going to be a player for the Bills long term. Epenesa is signed through the end of next season. Miller is a potential cap cut at the end of the season. The Bills have a 2-year solid plan but could use another rotational starter.

At tackle, Oliver is signed long term. Carter is a rookie, and Jones is signed through the end of next season. Buffalo could use reinforcement at nose tackle.

Offensive. The Bills are in a good spot at offensive tackle with Dawkins and Brown signed long term. McGovern and Edwards are signed through the end of next season. Torrence is still on his rookie contract. Nearly all the backups are later round developmental players, with the exception of Van Pran-Granger, who fell to the 5th round in the 2024 draft. Grable and Clayton are the only other offensive linemen on the roster past this season.

Some teams like to wait until the need for a player arises, and then acquire help. I don't advocate for that on the offensive line. Linemen can be developed, and with a coach like Kromer, I'd rather give him more talent than later round projects. I think Buffalo should use some higher end picks on offensive linemen who can be developed.

Off-season plan. I wouldn't count too heavily on free agency. The Bills are in season 2 of version 2 of the Allen Bills. Beane needs to keep cap space, and he's got both lines intact for next season. I recommend taking a year to reset line depth so there isn't a drop off.

The defense needs waves to attack along the defensive front. I'd look at a defensive end opposite Rousseau for the long term, and a big bodied nose tackle.

The offensive line could use more talent to back fill Edwards and McGovern when they depart. Getting some high quality players a year to develop behind starters, especially with Kromer as the line coach, could deliver incredible results. We're seeing what a good line can do to help Allen and the run game.

An Illustrative Draft Plan. This plan isn't lock step, and it's way early. It's meant to illustrate what type of draft it would take to make a reinforcement plan work. I'm using PFF's big board.

Round 1: Jack Sawyer DE, Ohio State. Sawyer is a physical end who would book end Rousseau.
Round 2 (trade up): Dontay Corleone DT, Cincinnati. One of two high end NTs available in the draft. Buffalo trades up in the 2nd round using a 4th to make this pick.
Round 2: Jonah Monheim OL, USC. Monheim played 2022 at RG and RT, 2023 at LT, and 2024 at center. He's a high-end talent who can play anywhere on the line. He's a little like Cody Mauch from the 2023 draft.
Round 3: Wyatt Milum OT, West Virginia. Athletic, 3-year starter at WVU.
Round 4: Nick Martin LB, Oklahoma State. McDermott style fast linebacker.
Round 4: Nick Emmanwori S, South Carolina. Siran Neal style player.
Round 5: Nazir Stackhouse DT, Georgia. NT type who I'd pick earlier if needed.
Round 6: Raheim Sanders RB, South Carolina. Power runner who could round out the Bills running back group.
Round 7: Bryce Foster C, Kansas. Texas A&M transfer who has Creed Humphries level athleticism which has not translated to the field. Developmental pick.

How this effects the lines:

Defense. Babich could build waves. Rousseau, Epenesa, Miller, Solomon, and Sawyer aren't pigeonholed into pass or run down players, but now the depth supports that type of rotation. Jones, Corleone, and Stackhouse can be rotated, with Corleone eating run downs and saving Jones for pass downs. Oliver and Carter are the 3T DTs. Babich could even package a run down package of Jones and Corleone, and bring in Oliver and Carter on run downs. There are options and a lot of high end players and prospects.

Offense. Dawkins - Edwards - McGovern - Torrence - Brown remains an exceptional starting group. That group is backed up by Milum and Grable at OT and Monheim and Van Pran-Granger at C/G. After next season, Edwards and McGovern might not be on the team, and Kromer would have options of who to start.

That's how I'd keep the lines strong and improve them to match up better with teams like Baltimore.

Reactions: Kupo

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Very weird that we're adding someone to the roster. Wonder if someone is hurt?
The interesting thing is that the Bills have not announced this yet.

There has to be some roster move to create the roster spot. It will be interesting to see if it is Rapp, or someone else, going on IR to open up the spot or if someone is getting cut.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It doesn't matter what player is available. The Bills do not have that much cap flexibility the rest of the way this season.
Im keeping an eye on Simmons. Pretty cheap contract, on a team that shouldn't be too competitive, and still may have something left in the tank. Not sure if it's possible to add him or not.

Reactions: buffa dud

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Im keeping an eye on Simmons. Pretty cheap contract, on a team that shouldn't be too competitive, and still may have something left in the tank. Not sure if it's possible to add him or not.

Given that the Bills didn't sign him even though he was out there so long, I would be surprised if they trade for him.

Signing Hyde seems more likely to me.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Given that the Bills didn't sign him even though he was out there so long, I would be surprised if they trade for him.

Signing Hyde seems more likely to me.
He's been solid thus far from what Ive read, and he has a nack for picking off Mahomes. Should be a clear upgrade of Rapp/Hamlin/Hyde etc...if he continues playing well. A lot depends on how the season pans out, but he'd be a cheap option that could have an impact in the playoffs. Time will tell.

Reactions: buffa dud

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
If he is just dealing with a hairline fracture, I doubt they will put him on IR at this point. That is a 4-6 week injury. The weird part to me is that they didn't just put him on IR right away.

:dunno:
One Bill's Live has guessed that seeing Return from IR designations are limited they did not want to use one unless absolutely necessary.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Who's the mystery player that's available? If there was someone worthwhile, the cap is a moveable object.
Nobody at this point in time. It's more of a change in the philosophical approach to how the Bills have been constructing the D-Line that I want to see change.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nobody at this point in time. It's more of a change in the philosophical approach to how the Bills have been constructing the D-Line that I want to see change.
They have sunk a ton of resources into the D Line.

At DE, you have Rousseau who was a 1st round pick and they picked up his 5th year option, Epenesa was a 2nd round pick who they gave a 2nd contract to, and Von Miller was the biggest contract to a UFA in a long time.

At DT, Ed Oliver is a 1st round pick that they gave a big 2nd contract to, Jones is a solid vet UFA guy, and Carter is a day 2 pick.

And guys like Smoot and Johnson were some of the bigger UFAs this offseason as it was a budget offseason.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
They have sunk a ton of resources into the D Line.

At DE, you have Rousseau who was a 1st round pick and they picked up his 5th year option, Epenesa was a 2nd round pick who they gave a 2nd contract to, and Von Miller was the biggest contract to a UFA in a long time.

At DT, Ed Oliver is a 1st round pick that they gave a big 2nd contract to, Jones is a solid vet UFA guy, and Carter is a day 2 pick.

And guys like Smoot and Johnson were some of the bigger UFAs this offseason as it was a budget offseason.
We have a freshman and sophomore secondary. That are slow to react and quick to overreact. They played better being aggressive and taking big risks in both games after getting behind w contain on rush qbs in Balt and against cardinals. Eliminating d line push and forcing third string safeties and rookie lb to fill gaps as d line set edges. Probably a one off.

Greater concern is predictable o calls and lack of stretching field from wr.

We need to take more risks on d and downfield on o.

NFL also needs afc playoff rivals. Not good if ravens 1 and 3. Especially after they got a loss beating kc. I’d toss this game out for buff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad