Speculation: Valeri Nichushkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
The Avs will keep him he was doing real good until the suspension besides the Avs will probably get something good for Val if traded just the way luck works sometimes go Avs go :cool:.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He’s comin back, and he’s gonna be amazing like he always is. Moralizing dweebs will clutch pearls about it on a message board. He might screw up again, and if he does, he’ll be gone for good, I imagine. Last chance. Unfortunate spot for the Avs to be in, but I’m rooting for him to turn it around for real this time. Who am I to say he can’t?
I'm not moralizing, but Nuke probably shut the Avs window on this roster.

They are relying on Landy and Nuke this season and neither you nor I believe those two will be playing effective hockey for the Avs come mid May 2025.

Don't see how the Avs are a contender this year with $13.1MM of wasted cap space on two 1st line forwards that won't be playing for much if any of the playoffs.

Once both of them are LTIR or otherwise off the books, next summer could see the Avs make a few moves to jump back into contention status. But this season is probably going no where other 2nd round exit with a whimper. It's what I like to call, "the Bednar".

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
The guy is an incredible player worth well north of his $6.1MM AAV, but he's unmovable due to his status in stage 3 of the program and a one strike and you're out standing in the NHL.
Idk about unmovable. In the last six months we’ve seen multiple players with worse contracts (Kuznetsov, Laine) traded fresh out of the player assistance program.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I'm not moralizing, but Nuke probably shut the Avs window on this roster.

They are relying on Landy and Nuke this season and neither you nor I believe those two will be playing effective hockey for the Avs come mid May 2025.

Don't see how the Avs are a contender this year with $13.1MM of wasted cap space on two 1st line forwards that won't be playing for much if any of the playoffs.

Once both of them are LTIR or otherwise off the books, next summer could see the Avs make a few moves to jump back into contention status. But this season is probably going no where other 2nd round exit with a whimper. It's what I like to call, "the Bednar".
We’ll see. If he plays his game and keeps his nose clean, the Avs are a tough out regardless of what happens with Landeskog.

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Hes then reason the Avs arent going for their 4th Cup in a row this season.

Dude was on pace for 45 goals last season.

Tough spot because he was on the verge of borderline superstar at a great cap hit, but the team cant depend on him obviously. At this point, Id trade him straight up for Huberdeau 50% retained and give Hubes Rantanen to pass to.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
We’ll see. If he plays his game and keeps his nose clean, the Avs are a tough out regardless of what happens with Landeskog.
Nuke is an addict. Assuming he keeps his nose clean is like assuming it won’t snow in Colorado this winter. It’s a terrible bet.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He cost his team last playoffs and stabbed all his teammates in the back from his selfishness. Im shocked that McKinnon would tolerate this garbage by letting him back on the team. I would trade him while his value will never be higher.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Nuke is an addict. Assuming he keeps his nose clean is like assuming it won’t snow in Colorado this winter. It’s a terrible bet.
You dont really get addicted to coke atleast not in the same way as meth or heroin. Very easy to get off of. You don’t need methadone or anything like that because your body doesn’t get dependent on it like say alcohol can. I know through experience. problem is if you want to stay off of it you really need to quit drinking aswell and that’s harder.

Reactions: Linds

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
He cost his team last playoffs and stabbed all his teammates in the back from his selfishness. Im shocked that McKinnon would tolerate this garbage by letting him back on the team. I would trade him while his value will never be higher.
lol, for the same reasons the Avs would want to get rid of him, are the same reasons other teams don’t want him.

This guy has YEARS left on his contract. Anyone who trades for him is putting themselves in the exact same situation the Avs are currently in.

Why in the world would you assume he has any trade value at all?

ihcsunrise

Oct 1, 2024
Such a shame the guy clearly has talent and skills, but his head is in a very wrong place. Needs lots of therapy to overcome his psychological issues. Probably will be back in good form this season... but my bet is he's gonna get into trouble again sooner or later. Unless Avs make it a priority to get someone specifically assigned to him and give him very high level of psychological support.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You dont really get addicted to coke atleast not in the same way as meth or heroin. Very easy to get off of. You don’t need methadone or anything like that because your body doesn’t get dependent on it like say alcohol can. I know through experience. problem is if you want to stay off of it you really need to quit drinking aswell and that’s harder.
The guy has $6.1MM reasons per season to quit and that's not enough... obviously and unfortunately for us Avs fans. Nuke is a brilliant player and the ideal Bednar player too. If he was sober and routinely available, I think he's a $9MM+ per year player. Avs don't win the Cup without him.

But Nuke is very clearly an addict.

So the idea Nuke can and well get clean/stay clean is really haphazard if you're planning your club around it.

The better idea is to punt on this season, lose in the 2nd round as usual... watch him get himself suspended for a year (say around Christmas) with no automatic reinstatement and move on next summer (from both Landy and Nuke). Landy goes onto career LTIR and you have $13.1MM to play with in UFA next summer.

I don't believe Nuke will have an NHL career after he fails his next test around Dec/Jan of this season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Cant believe the Avs would welcome that shit show back into the locker room.
There isn't really a choice or alternative for the Avs.

Their best choice is to welcome him back and watch Nuke fail another test and get booted for a year+. That solves the problem without buyout or negative value trade or the like.

His contract just basically ends because he's not eligible to play in the NHL.

That's the route the Avs will take and it's really the only viable one. With a pretty simple solution.

It just really sucks for us Avs fans because he's such a huge steal at $6.12MM AAV. The guy is one of the premier 200 foot players in the NHL. One of the premier athletes in the sport. His hockey IQ is excellent. His work rate on the ice is exemplary. His contributions are routinely outstanding. Rare to find a player that forechecks and pressures the puck with such precision and timing. I'm sure many teams consider him a nightmare to play against.

And he's also F'd up in the head/body due to addiction. Brutal.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
The guy has $6.1MM reasons per season to quit and that's not enough... obviously and unfortunately for us Avs fans. Nuke is a brilliant player and the ideal Bednar player too. If he was sober and routinely available, I think he's a $9MM+ per year player. Avs don't win the Cup without him.

But Nuke is very clearly an addict.

So the idea Nuke can and well get clean/stay clean is really haphazard if you're planning your club around it.

The better idea is to punt on this season, lose in the 2nd round as usual... watch him get himself suspended for a year (say around Christmas) with no automatic reinstatement and move on next summer (from both Landy and Nuke). Landy goes onto career LTIR and you have $13.1MM to play with in UFA next summer.

I don't believe Nuke will have an NHL career after he fails his next test around Dec/Jan of this season.
Coke only stays in your system for a few days. You don’t get caught through testing usually you get caught in the act. I’d take every cent I own and put it on Nuke never getting caught again if i could double my money. To think she gets caught again is crazy to me with what he has on the line

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Coke only stays in your system for a few days. You don’t get caught through testing usually you get caught in the act. I’d take every cent I own and put it on Nuke never getting caught again if i could double my money. To think she gets caught again is crazy to me with what he has on the line
why are you so sure its just coke? nowadays, (i hear) many mix in trace amounts of more physically addictive agents (like Fentanyl) to really hook you both ways.... as the others noted, he has 6+ million to quit, but can't, ....maybe its more than just coke?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I like how we all just kinda looked the other way at that girl they had to hospitalize in his hotel room.

No questions asked.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I like how we all just kinda looked the other way at that girl they had to hospitalize in his hotel room.

No questions asked.
Val might be a grade A douche, wouldn't be surprised. But let's also remember, that the Seattle PD investigated the matter and no criminal charges were raised against Val.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Val might be a grade A douche, wouldn't be surprised. But let's also remember, that the Seattle PD investigated the matter and no criminal charges were raised against Val.

Not being able to prove something criminal happened doesn't mean something criminal didn't happen. Not really arguing that he should be criminally charged, but the incident is very sketchy and raises eyebrows regardless.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
If he’s this good while battling addiction, imagine what he will do if he gets clean and comes back. He’s such a weapon, especially in the playoff games he shows up for.

I don’t get all the hate. He’s struggling with issues and anyone with a brain is rooting for him to overcome those. I’m not a fan of the Avs or the player but I’ll always root for people to overcome terrible things like addiction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad