NFL GDT: Week 2: Groundhog Day for Kirk Cousins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Rookie QBs need to sit out 1st year after being drafted if their Offensive lines are sieves

Problem is Bears OL are always sieves

Haven't had a good OL since 05/06

LT - John Tait
LG - Ruben Brown
C - Olin Kreutz
RG - Roberto Garza
RT - Fred Miller

^
That was the best OL we have had in last 30 years and we wasted it with Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman at QB

For this team the T's have promise (Both young and generally solid)

The interior of OL is an absolute joke

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Chicago is using the Cincinatti model where they hope talent outweighs the O-Line. We'll see what happens...But so far Williams is getting walloped

The NFC South might not be regarded as great or anything. But tomorrow night might be a must win for Atlanta with Kansas City next week.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Bears are gonna have to put two TEs in the game strictly to help block if this is how bad the line is
Not a good look when even the relatively blah Titans front 7 made the Bears o-line look like garbage in week 1. Houston actually has a pass rush and they nearly ate Williams alive.

He won't survive under this type of pressure..

Reactions: PanniniClaus

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wonder how "Die Hard Chicago Bears Fans" group on Facebook is taking this, probably saying his completions are the greatest completions of any rookie QB ever.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So Trevor Lawrence's last NFL win was Thanksgiving 2023. Not saying the dude is a bum but...
Jags have been disappointing. Expected more out of Pedersen in year 3 now. Needs to get TLaw going.

Bears need to leave a back or drop a TE into the FB position to help block especially vs inside pressure. Texans blitzed 40% of the time vs Chicago. Going to see more of that given how effective it was for Houston vs the bears.

IOL these days are not considered high value to be using a first rounder for. But, QBs struggle the most vs inside pressure as opposed to a DE getting pressure from outside. Wonder if that changes the front office minds. At least draft them in the mid to late first. I get not doing it in the top 10 unless they are all pro like Nelson.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I watched a good chunk of that Denver/Pittsburgh game. Fields didn't look that much better than Williams. Missed a lot of easy throws and got away with it because the Broncos offense is god awful

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I watched a good chunk of that Denver/Pittsburgh game. Fields didn't look that much better than Williams. Missed a lot of easy throws and got away with it because the Broncos offense is god awful
Pitt D won the ATL game.... So long as Fields doesn't turn the ball over and realizes that he's best to use his feet vs try to make any 50/50 throw, the D and run game will carry the Steelers.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I feel like every GM should be looking for a head coach that is an offensive play-caller.

You see guys like Caleb and Daniels going to defense first head coaches and struggling. Shane Waldron was terrible last year for Seattle and seems to be terrible again this year. Kliff is atrocious as an OC.

Then you see Klint Kubiak come to the Saints and completely revamp the offense despite the same players being there. Derek Carr looks like an MVP candidate, guys are running wide open, Kamara turned back the clock.

Makes me wonder about teams like Detroit (Ben Johnson), Houston (Bobby Slowik). Are they going to be anywhere near as successful if they lose their play callers? The Eagles lost Steichen and struggled mightily last year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel like every GM should be looking for a head coach that is an offensive play-caller.

You see guys like Caleb and Daniels going to defense first head coaches and struggling. Shane Waldron was terrible last year for Seattle and seems to be terrible again this year. Kliff is atrocious as an OC.

Then you see Klint Kubiak come to the Saints and completely revamp the offense despite the same players being there. Derek Carr looks like an MVP candidate, guys are running wide open, Kamara turned back the clock.

Makes me wonder about teams like Detroit (Ben Johnson), Houston (Bobby Slowik). Are they going to be anywhere near as successful if they lose their play callers? The Eagles lost Steichen and struggled mightily last year.
All of Williams, Daniels, Maye were going to Defensive HC. The QB development was going to fall on Waldron, Kingsbury, and Van Pelt.
That's why a lot of people though McCarthy and Nix landed in excellent spots, though they were not as talented. O'Connell and Payton. And you have Penix in ATL with a HC who has coached on both sides but was never an OC.

I'd say, if you are starting over with a young QB, best to get an offensive HC. Because, it ensure continuity for the kid's rookie deal at least. OCs may leave. If any of the trio did well, their OC would get a HC shot after 2 years for example.

But still need the right HC. Levis still doesn't look that great in Tenn. Young still looks terrible. Richardson, still raw.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
One guy's a rookie and one guy's in his fourth year. I'd hope the fourth year guy played better than a rookie.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He has one TD pass while dinking and dunking his way down field

Also, the Steelers offense that barely outplayed the Bo Nix Denver Broncos offense is hardly something to celebrate
I honestly thought that the coddling of Justin Fields was just a Chicago thing, but people are still handling him with baby gloves even after he left.

Veteran in his 4th year throws for 117 yards, adds another 27 on the ground.

Kubiak isn't the head coach though. That's Allen, a defense focused head coach. Funnily enough, Kubiak was on the short list for OC for the Bears. Seemed like it came down to him or Waldron. Most people in the Chicago media preferred Waldron, as did most people on here.

I think the next few weeks will be telling about where the team actually stands. The combination of Keenan Allen, the team's blitz beater, being out when the Texans throws like 50% blitzes was a bit unfortunate. 97% pressure rate is obviously unacceptable, especially when the time to throw was as low as it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I honestly thought that the coddling of Justin Fields was just a Chicago thing, but people are still handling him with baby gloves even after he left.

Veteran in his 4th year throws for 117 yards, adds another 27 on the ground.

Kubiak isn't the head coach though. That's Allen, a defense focused head coach.
Correct. But, also shows the impact a good OC has on a defensive minded HC.

Which does put into consideration what happens with Campbell and Ryans if/when Johnson/Swovik get their shot to be a HC. Can they replace their OC. Sirianni couldn't replace Steichen last season and they wilted in the end of the season. Buffalo wasn't the same when Dabboll left and they handed the keys to Dorsey.

But, that's the reality of the HC tree. Good coordinators get a shot and will leave.

Reactions: Romang67

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Kubiak isn't the head coach though. That's Allen, a defense focused head coach. Funnily enough, Kubiak was on the short list for OC for the Bears. Seemed like it came down to him or Waldron. Most people in the Chicago media preferred Waldron, as did most people on here.

I think the next few weeks will be telling about where the team actually stands. The combination of Keenan Allen, the team's blitz beater, being out when the Texans throws like 50% blitzes was a bit unfortunate. 97% pressure rate is obviously unacceptable, especially when the time to throw was as low as it was.
Right, didn't mean to imply that Kubiak was HC. Just how drastic of a change the playcaller can make, and you know if Kubiak and the Saints keep this up he will quickly be snatched up into a head coach role leaving DA as the head coach. I think it would be crazy to prefer having DA to the guy who is responsible for overseeing the offensive change.

I thought Waldron wasn't a bad choice initially but the more you look into last year the uglier it gets. The continued use of Gerald Everett (although better week 2) was something you could see coming. His misuse of JSN last year was gross.

Just my opinion though, and we can agree on Justin Fields sucking at least lol. Steelers are hiding the hell outta him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad