Post-Game Talk: WEEK 13 Chargers 6 Patriots 0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
MHJ and Nix would work as well. Only because MHJ might be generational. I dont want a tackle and the 8th rated QB in 2nd and 3rd round. High picks give you the best chance of getting a franchise QB regardless of bust rate. We have needs all over the roster, so that argument doesnt work. QB is still most important.

I've watched too many teams blow their load on QB's early and it blows up in their face more times than not. Last 10 years QB's who were taken top 5

Young
Stroud
Richardson
Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Burrow
Tua
Murray
Mayfield
Darnold
Trubisky
Goff
Wentz
Winston
Mariota
Bottles

How many "franchise QB's" are really in this list?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I've watched too many teams blow their load on QB's early and it blows up in their face more times than not. Last 10 years QB's who were taken top 5

Young
Stroud
Richardson
Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Burrow
Tua
Murray
Mayfield
Darnold
Trubisky
Goff
Wentz
Winston
Mariota
Bottles

How many "franchise QB's" are really in this list?
I agree. If it were up to me? I stay away from any QB with our top pick. Go MHJ. That should be the goal. Next rounds, load up. But I stay away from those top QB's, imo

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I agree. If it were up to me? I stay away from any QB with our top pick. Go MHJ. That should be the goal. Next rounds, load up. But I stay away from those top QB's, imo
I agree. First round QBs fizzle more often than not. Especially first over alls. Harrison is a sure fire number one WR. He will elevate a “good” quarterback to pro bowl/all pro status.

Anyways, goodnight all. See you tomorrow.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
But why do they need to draft a QB? There is maybe 1-2 QB's in the NFL that could have success with the dumpster fire offense. Build the line and bring in some skill. Even an average QB can have succes if they get good protect and have actual playmakers to get the ball to

Drafting a QB and building a line/bringing in skill are not mutually exclusive things.

I'll use Houston as an example. They had some talent on the line, but no one thought it was great. Heading into the season, they were considered to have one of the worst skill position groups in the NFL. But with the addition of C.J. Stroud and a new coaching staff that knew how to develop him, they have a top 10 offense.

But if we want to keep it simple, the reality is that teams that need QBs just don't pass them up when a top one is on the board. It's a risk management decision. The Falcons have done just as you've suggested, and it hasn't exactly worked out well for them (yes, I understand they're currently sitting 1st in their division, but the NFC South is garbage, their schedule is easy, and they're certainly not winning because of their offense). The biggest thing holding them back is a QB, and they're not in a good position to acquire one.

Reactions: The National

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Out of the mix and relegated to 1pm starts for the foreseeable future. (Stupid Thursday Night Football not withstanding)

All that’s missing now is Don Criqui and Beasley Reese on the telecast.

Back in those years a game needed to be sold out 72 hours before kickoff to be televised in the home market and the NBC market for games they were blacked out in Boston and Providence became Springfield, Portland, and Bangor plus the visiting team. One year CBS ( the visiting team's network would be the criteria of who televised the game ) sent an unknown announcer to Foxborough to cover a Pats-Tampa Bay game and he had NEVER called a football game ever - It was Mike Emrick.

This is how bad the game was

1701674625340.png

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Still can tell the Mac crew is nervous though as they are working OT today. Like I said, an enjoyable in season prop to make 2-10 interesting. Zappe will get better as he gets more playing time as he looked better 2nd half today in bad weather.
Was never a Mac guy. Once his most frequent comp during his draft year was Chad Pennington, I wanted zero to do with him because Pennington sucked. In fact, if you go back and look at those threads, I wanted Trey Lance. Obviously that's a terrible pick too but I wanted someone athletic at the spot since that's the direction of the position the league is headed towards. If not Lance, I wanted Justin Fields in that draft and I thought the Pats should have moved up and gotten him over Mac.

So you can continue to pretend this is a Mac vs Zappe thing for everyone, or you can simply accept that the only person making it that is you. Most everyone else wants a real, different player other than those two stiffs. Literally anyone else besides two guys that suck,

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
There is no fan club. There might be one poster who thinks the only problem is Mac Jones. But Zappe was less of a disaster today than Mac has been. Fact not opinion. And yet the team still got shutout. Scary to say the least.

Yep. I will never understand the need to trash Zappe when he is supposed to be worse than Mac. Supposed to be a lot worse in fact. And he's not. He might not be any better but he sure as hell ain't worse than what we have been seeing from a broken Mac Jones.
Sorry, but I'm going to need proof. When a quarterback barely crosses mid field all game and doesn't get his offense into the red zone at all, I have to question your agenda. I get that Jones was bad and threw too many picks, but what we saw yesterday was in no way, shape, or form "better" or less of a "disaster". That was an exercise in futility and one of the worst displays of offense I've seen from any team in my life.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
hilarious, they had more overall yards and won the time of possesion despite some huge drops, a fumble and injury to their RB1. I think Zappe is making some panic bc they thought jones was entitled to stink it up the rest of the year. Onto Pitt

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
hilarious, they had more overall yards and won the time of possesion despite some huge drops, a fumble and injury to their RB1. I think Zappe is making some panic bc they thought jones was entitled to stink it up the rest of the year. Onto Pitt
No one is panicking, no one thought Jones was entitled to play the rest of the year. They simply both stink. You are constantly arguing at something that isn't there.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Were they close to ever putting points up on the board? Did they ever get into the red zone? These nonsense excuses about time of possession and yardage numbers are nothing more than misdirection by the bailey zappe pom pom waivers. In reaity, it's considered one of the worst offensive performances for a team in the history of the league, FFS

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Zappe isn't making anyone nervous lol Zappe stunk it up just like Jones did. Of all the Patriots games this season yesterday saw...
Fewest passing yards
4th fewest total yards
3rd fewest 1st downs

This team put up zero points. But hey whatever moral victory you can find to brighten your day after that abomination.

Reactions: LSCII

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Looking at the cap management (not saying it was well done....), it looks like they were planning on going all in for the 4th & 5th year of Mac as the #1QB. With another guy/QB coming in that's a total reset of the timing for the UFA and overall multi-year cap commits...

As much as there are key WR and OL talents in the draft, just like in hockey it starts with one position (G / QB) so would go with one of the top tier QB with pick 1, then go WR/OL with pretty much everything else. Not much in FA for OL / Tackle but there are some good impact WR's, RB, and DL guys they could add to reset the depth chart with #3's playing as the 3rd option and not forced into playing over their heads. For me Henry, Elliot, Bourne, Dugger, Uche, Onwenu, Brown should be back.

As much as there is a risk going with a top 2 on a QB, there's a bigger risk of turning into a mess with nobody to get anyone the ball and having spent 120M on all the other tools. Think Edmonton without a goalie, NYI without anyone to carry the O, or even worst the Arizona of yesteryears...

Better to get the guy now, and if they surround him with some key vets then by year 3 they should be back in contention and still have 2 years to figure out how to rebuild the supporting cast via draft / trade / FA...

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Were they close to ever putting points up on the board? Did they ever get into the red zone? These nonsense excuses about time of possession and yardage numbers are nothing more than misdirection by the bailey zappe pom pom waivers. In reaity, it's considered one of the worst offensive performances for a team in the history of the league, FFS

like it said I'm looking forward to Thursday, I know you've got an axe to grind bc you don't like zappe or his fans as you've said and will bash him every instance 24/7 so I don't buy your takes on a QB making his 3rd start in bad weather

• Haha

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
like it said I'm looking forward to Thursday, I know you've got an axe to grind bc you don't like zappe or his fans as you've said and will bash him every instance 24/7 so I don't buy your takes on a QB making his 3rd start in bad weather

Kind of a funny statement coming from the person that loved ripping on Jones all season long.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
bash away, you don't need my persmission, I'm just going back and forth with LSCII

I just find it amusing how you ripped on people early in the season for "moral victories" and here you are posting about them beating LAC in total yards and time of possession.....because it's Zappe and not Jones at QB.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I just find it amusing how you ripped on people early in the season for "moral victories" and here you are posting about them beating LAC in total yards and time of possession.....because it's Zappe and not Jones at QB.

well this is a 3rd year starter and 1st round pick who got to handpick his OC and looked worse than with Patricia vs a QB on ice for over a year making his 3rd start and Jones lost his job to him.

• Haha

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Again it’s not that I dislike the guy. It’s that he’s simply not a good football player.

He was historically bad yesterday. Historically bad. Yet you’re spinning it like he was the love child of Joe Montana and Dan Marino and a sure fire first ballot hall of fame player. He was historically bad

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Again it’s not that I dislike the guy. It’s that he’s simply not a good football player.

He was historically bad yesterday. Historically bad. Yet you’re spinning it like he was the love child of Joe Montana and Dan Marino and a sure fire first ballot hall of fame player. He was historically bad

Mac Jones has been historically bad. Zappe played a game in bad weather, didnt turn the ball over, made some nice throws, you're the one expecting Dan Marino

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
If we’re doing victory laps after a 6-0 loss to one of the worst defenses in the league, I can’t imagine the parade that will be thrown after he loses 10-6 on Thursday.

• Haha

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If we’re doing victory laps after a 6-0 loss to one of the worst defenses in the league, I can’t imagine the parade that will be thrown after he loses 10-6 on Thursday.

There is a small section of people doing a victory lap....and its really just because they didn't have to watch Jones play. We could get blown out 100-0 every game the rest of the season and they'd still do victory laps because at least Jones isn't the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad