NFL GDT: Week 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The Lions played well but everything that could go wrong for the Chiefs, did go wrong.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
After all he did in the playoffs to win the Chiefs a Superbowl?
He had an admittedly electric punt return and a touchdown that either you or I could’ve scored. Hurt most of the time otherwise. I don’t actually want or expect him cut that was mostly heat of the moment, but literally all he has to do is catch one of two passes and they almost certainly win.

Toney and the rest of the WRs wear a lot of this, but Andy Reid’s infuriating tendency to take the ball out of Mahomes hand - 2 fourth and shorts that should’ve been a no doubter to go for it and whatever the f*** that 3rd down call was - continues. He gets away with it a lot but I cannot believe he still prefers field goals to giving the best player on earth a chance to do something. I can chalk the WRs up to rust and week one, Reid has been doing that for years now.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
The Lions played well but everything that could go wrong for the Chiefs, did go wrong.
That's a bit of an over exaggeration. They had a few bad drops. You must not be very familiar with losing football if you think that's everything that can go wrong.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Listen, the Lions came in with more to prove, and KC is missing people and working through shit. It’s a week-to-week league.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The underrating of Kelce was driving me crazy all last season.

Every show it was how Mahomes had nobody to throw to post Hill trade when they had Mr cheat code on the roster.

Maybe this will wake up some people

To be honest wasn’t really impressed by either team

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Yes KC was missing their best player outside of PM and an elite defensive player on the other side of the ball.

Yes dropped passes swayed the game the other way including a lucky ass pick 6.

That said it's still impressive win and to close that game out despite those handicaps. and it'll be building block win for them.

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Regarding Patrick Peterson predicting he'll get an INT: I miss the old days when if you said something that stupid before a game your own teammates would give you a well-deserved beating.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He had an admittedly electric punt return and a touchdown that either you or I could’ve scored. Hurt most of the time otherwise. I don’t actually want or expect him cut that was mostly heat of the moment, but literally all he has to do is catch one of two passes and they almost certainly win.

Toney and the rest of the WRs wear a lot of this, but Andy Reid’s infuriating tendency to take the ball out of Mahomes hand - 2 fourth and shorts that should’ve been a no doubter to go for it and whatever the f*** that 3rd down call was - continues. He gets away with it a lot but I cannot believe he still prefers field goals to giving the best player on earth a chance to do something. I can chalk the WRs up to rust and week one, Reid has been doing that for years now.
On that 3rd and short after Detroit scored the go ahead TD in the 4th, don’t get the desire to get cute with a jet sweep. You put a TE under center so if you trust that guy enough with the snap why not do the Philly QB sneak with a push from the back. Not risking PM like Philly does with Hurts.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Detroit is a fun team. I hope they do well this year. I really want to follow them more closely

Fantasy wise….

Toney was a disaster
So much for the Skyy Moore hype this week
KC badly needs a WR
Montgomery getting majority of snaps a bit shocking, but then again it’s Detroit.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
KC has to figure it out with their young WR. Toney is year 3, Moore in year 2, Rice in year 1. Vet in MVS and Ross who was mostly a PS guy last season for them and had injury issues at Clemson.

KC paid Mahomes and paid to protect him.

He will be available come the deadline. Last year of his contract. His QB this year is likely some combo of Baker and Trask. So would love to play with Mahomes to up his stats and get another contract. But that wouldn’t come from KC.
The Chiefs do have a problem at both offensive tackle positions. I watched Donovan Smith for 3 years with Brady and he had lots of ill timed penalties and gave up numerous pressures and sacks. On the other side Taylor is a below average player. Could be a long year for Mahomes.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Mahomes without Kelce and this receiving core was like watching Lamar trying to make something work with Duverney and Proche when Andrews was out. Painful.
Tom Brady played with a lot of crap receiving groups over the year. He made it work.

Reactions: pockets

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
On that 3rd and short after Detroit scored the go ahead TD in the 4th, don’t get the desire to get cute with a jet sweep. You put a TE under center so if you trust that guy enough with the snap why not do the Philly QB sneak with a push from the back. Not risking PM like Philly does with Hurts.
Their short yardage game has been a disaster for a couple years now. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense given how good their IOL has been during that stretch. Totally agree, if you’re having Blake Bell take the snap have him fall forward not some jet sweep when you need 1-2 yards. I shouldn’t be more comfortable in 3rd and 17 than 3rd and 2
Tom Brady played with a lot of crap receiving groups over the year. He made it work.
I’d love to hear your honest critique of what Mahomes could or should have done differently last night that Brady would have. Because I suspect the only difference is Brady would have smashed a tablet or two last night.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I’d love to hear your honest critique of what Mahomes could or should have done differently last night that Brady would have. Because I suspect the only difference is Brady would have smashed a tablet or two last night.
When you design a route to have players cross very closely over the middle to create separation from defenders, delivering the ball at the exact moment that the two players cross doesn't seem ideal.

Not that that's the end of the world. But if we're going to talk about these QBs that are the best of all time and focus on 3 drops that decided the game, he shared some blame on that one.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
When you design a route to have players cross very closely over the middle to create separation from defenders, delivering the ball at the exact moment that the two players cross doesn't seem ideal.

Not that that's the end of the world. But if we're going to talk about these QBs that are the best of all time and focus on 3 drops that decided the game, he shared some blame on that one.

That's one play...Drops literally were the difference. Having rewatched it, i'd say it's on Richie James for running a shit route and having no awareness that his QB was about to get rid of the ball.

Everyone said Mahomes and KC would regress after losing Hill, they won the SB. If your guys can't catch a ball that hits them in the hands there's nothing you or anyone can do.

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Lmao at putting any blame on Mahomes for last night

That was 100% just a bad receiving group, and Toney had maybe the worst performance I've ever seen a WR have in a single game

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
That's one play...Drops literally were the difference. Having rewatched it, i'd say it's on Richie James for running a shit route and having no awareness that his QB was about to get rid of the ball.
Yes, it was one play. I thought providing a specific example of a relatively crucial play where he could have been better was a pretty appropriate answer to the question of "What Mahomes could have or should have done differently".

I'm not suggesting he needs to be perfect or its his fault. I'm answering the question

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes, it was one play. I thought providing a specific example of a relatively crucial play where he could have been better was a pretty appropriate answer to the question of "What Mahomes could have or should have done differently".

I'm not suggesting he needs to be perfect or its his fault. I'm answering the question
Could also be a poor play design or one of the 2 receivers didn't get to their correct spot or depth, which threw off the timing.

Rough game 1 for KC's offense. Defensively, without Jones, they were good until Detroit figured out their run game in the 4th and leaned in on it. The KC D only gave up 2 scores. So, they did their job.

Without Kelce, they couldn't afford those mistakes or bad decisions that they are sometimes guilty of. Getting cute vs run a TE sneak. OT struggled in the game. Toney had a terrible game. His drop led to a pick 6. No run game. It's not the worst loss to have as it's vs an NFC team. Won't factor into tie breakers.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The underrating of Kelce was driving me crazy all last season.

Every show it was how Mahomes had nobody to throw to post Hill trade when they had Mr cheat code on the roster.

Maybe this will wake up some people

To be honest wasn’t really impressed by either team
I dont think Travis Kelce is undervalued. It's not like everyone thinks he is a product of Mahomes. He made a 1st team and 2nd team all pro with Alex Smith at quarterback. He is 34 and without him, so his time is winding down. The Chiefs need to start investing more in wide receivers, something Andy rarely has done. As great as him and Mahomes are, last night showed you need competent pass catchers.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I dont think Travis Kelce is undervalued. It's not like everyone thinks he is a product of Mahomes. He made a 1st team and 2nd team all pro with Alex Smith at quarterback. He is 34 and without him, so his time is winding down. The Chiefs need to start investing more in wide receivers, something Andy rarely has done. As great as him and Mahomes are, last night showed you need competent pass catchers.

I mean in the sense that when people hype Mahomes they always brought up how he had no WR’s to throw to once they traded Hill.

Kelce is by far their biggest offensive weapon and true cheat code, one of the best offensive players in the league.

So in that sense it was driving me crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad