Proposal: Weegar for Lekkerimaki

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Trade would have to be done half way through the season after the canucks accrue some daily cap space.

I think Weegar would be the perfect 3rd dman for the Canucks to make a few playoff pushes.

It's a lot to give up considering Lekkerimaki is our top prospect and fresh of WJC top player award.

It's a big swing. I don't know if it's smart or not but it would give the Canucks a better chance to win for the next 2/3 yrs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The problem that I see with your trade proposal is that Calgary's defence prospect cupboard is pretty full and a number of them are good prospects. From here on in I suspect Calgary will be trying to trade for young forwards, specifically centers, and draft picks.

Edit: As pointed out, Lekkerimaki is a fwd not a dman so my objection is completely useless.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Can't see the Flames trading their best dman for yet another winger who has only played 6 games in NA, none of them in the NHL.

No slight against the kid, he's a good prospect. But Weegar is needed in the rebuild to take on matchups while the younger guys get their feet under them.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The problem that I see with your trade proposal is that Calgary's defence prospect cupboard is pretty full and a number of them are good prospects. From here on in I suspect Calgary will be trying to trade for young forwards, specifically centers, and draft picks.
Lekkerimaki is a winger. I think you may have him mixed up with Willander.

Reactions: bert

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Lekkerimaki is a forward. The best one at the last WJC in fact.

Reactions: bert

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Trade would have to be done half way through the season after the canucks accrue some daily cap space.

I think Weegar would be the perfect 3rd dman for the Canucks to make a few playoff pushes.

It's a lot to give up considering Lekkerimaki is our top prospect and fresh of WJC top player award.

It's a big swing. I don't know if it's smart or not but it would give the Canucks a better chance to win for the next 2/3 yrs.
for the Canucks it would be brilliant too bad the Flames wouldn't trade Weegar for Lekkermaki

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't write off the possibility of a Weegar trade. If Weegar asks for a trade I'm sure Conroy would do his best to make one. After all, I'm sure a total rebuild isn't what Weegar signed up for.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
A high end center prospect would no doubt be the main focus for Conroy if a Weegar deal was ever to be entertained. The guy is a top 20 defender in the league - signed at a wonderful cap hit.

Lekkerimaki is a quality prospect but not a need.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I never understood the Lekker pick by the Canucks other then they thought he is BPA. He always reminded me of a carbon copy of Pettersson and a bit redundant for the team.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I wouldn't write off the possibility of a Weegar trade. If Weegar asks for a trade I'm sure Conroy would do his best to make one. After all, I'm sure a total rebuild isn't what Weegar signed up for.
I wouldn't either but it would not be for the OP's offer of Lekkerimaki straight up. They would target a center prospect, picks and a roster player

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Until he asks for a trade he isn't remotely available. Also Calgary would definitely want more than a 1 for 1. Wingers just simply aren't an organizational need.
There isn’t anything that’s isn’t an organizational need for the Flames outside maybe goaltending.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

No way Canucks give up Lekker unless Calgary is giving up Andersson.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I never understood the Lekker pick by the Canucks other then they thought he is BPA. He always reminded me of a carbon copy of Pettersson and a bit redundant for the team.
Yeah. What team would ever want 2 Elias Petterssons on the same team? Oh right, the Canucks would. And if Lekk is a carbon copy of Elias Pettersson (the forward), we would also take that running away!

1725567000992.png
1725567022143.png

Ledge And Dairy

There isn’t anything that’s isn’t an organizational need for the Flames outside maybe goaltending.
If your argument is Calgary just needs as many chances as possible to hit then sure, but you can make that argument about every team.

But if we are looking at a breakdown of Calgary's prospects and young players by position here is everyone that has legitimate top 9 potential (top 6 for defense).
C: Zary (played wing all last year but might transfer to center), L. Misa (probably projects as a winger but listed as center)
LW: Pelletier, Basha, Honzek, Suniev, Stromgren, Pospisil, Bell
RW: Coronato, Gridin, Battaglia
LD: Poirier, Morin, Grushnikov, Solovyov
RD: Parekh, Brzustewicz, Mews

That's 0-2 center prospects, 11-13 winger prospects, and 7 defense prospects. So yes I would say winger prospects are far below everything else in terms of organizational need (with the exception of the aforementioned goalie position).

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
It's a decent idea, the only thing is that this would blow the Canucks cap structure out of whack.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
No way Canucks give up Lekker unless Calgary is giving up Andersson.
Weegar is a better fit for the Canucks than Andersson. He defends far better and is on a long term contract.

It's a decent idea, the only thing is that this would blow the Canucks cap structure out of whack.
True it might mean that one of the fwds has to go next yr but the d just looks so bad when you look at it. Imagine an injury to Hughes or Hronek or a Myers just being bad again.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Conroy wouldn’t deal Tanev to Vancouver when he requested it. Trading Weegar for Lekk wouldn’t be a bad consolation prize :naughty:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I doubt that would get it done . Weegar is a stud. Didn’t he have 20 goals last year while being pretty physical / defensively responsible?
The only downside to him is that he is sign into his late 30s. The final 2-3 yrs represent a big risk.

Lekkerimaki also was the player of the tourny at the last WJC, so he has top of lineup upside too.

Conroy wouldn’t deal Tanev to Vancouver when he requested it. Trading Weegar for Lekk wouldn’t be a bad consolation prize :naughty:
I don't think the Canucks had anything else to give. We traded all our picks by then.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Was a high risk pick that looks to be trending well…..he needs more time in NA to tell though

Reactions: Xirik

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Weegar is better though ..
when does this ever matter. It would be about getting futures for a player that will be too old by the time the Flames come out of a rebuild to have impact

Vancouver cannot afford to trade Lekkerimaki for a RD that buries Willander with too much term

Like the player a lot but with Hughes Hronek and Willander a shut down LD is the target

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
when does this ever matter. It would be about getting futures for a player that will be too old by the time the Flames come out of a rebuild to have impact

Vancouver cannot afford to trade Lekkerimaki for a RD that buries Willander with too much term

Like the player a lot but with Hughes Hronek and Willander a shut down LD is the target
Who needs shutdown D when you have Chaos Giraffe and VD :sarcasm:

Demko and Silovs are both going to be on LTIR by seasons end due to how much that D is going to get turnstiled all season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad