We are born to hate the Habs, but which teams have you grown to dislike?.Leaf Matters

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Episode 79 Leaf Matters

We are born to hate the Habs, but which teams have you grown to hate? Plus the week in review with Sean Bowen and Matteo. And Is Chara... Ivan Drago? GO LEAFS GO!!

itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/leaf-matters/id577173646?mt=2

MP3
http://podalmighty.com/?album=leaf-matters

Video
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=227954604040054&set=vb.379028848852359&type=2&theater

Leafs-Matter-Logo.jpg

Corleone

Sep 25, 2006
Peterborough
Buffallo, Ottawa and Vancouver. They all think they have done something in the last 10 years, when in reality they haven't won squat.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not gonna lie. I don't hate the Sens or the Habs or the Bruins or alot of the teams we're "supposed" to hate.

I dislike - Rangers
I despise - Red Wings
I would actually rather watch this team lose than have intercourse - Jets, Canucks

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
To answer the question, almost every other Canadian team. I used to cheer for Canadian teams (except for Ottawa/Montreal) once the Leafs bowed out, but that was before I met their fans. The irrational hatred for everything Toronto has just made me wish depression and failure among them. Calgary I will still somewhat cheer for because they were my favourite team in the west going back before this revelation.

Truly manufactured dislike through hockey, however, would be the Devils and Flyers. I mostly grew up with the Pat Quinn era Leafs, and those playoff losses to New Jersey and Philadelphia left a sour taste in my mouth.

Also **** Arturs Irbe.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
The usually Sens and Bruins

With the addition of Buffalo after pre-season. Too bad Scott's suspended, or else Orr and McLaren would be having some fun this weekend.

Edit: Oh wait, he's back already...Friday's gonna be a fun game.

Last edited:

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Senators and it's not close, living close to Ottawa, it isnt really the team itself, its the awful homer coverage by 1200 radio the Sun and to a lesser extent the Citizen. Thankfully with online streaming I no longer have to listen to 1200 to get sports radio or read the Sun, much better for the blood pressure.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I find it cute that the rest of Canada irrationally hates Toronto and think theres some sort of rivalry when there isn't :laugh:

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Can't stand Carolina, divisional teams until this year (Buff/Ott/Bost) are no brainers. The rest of our new division and conference aren't liked but not hated.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
honestly at this point (this generation) the old rivalries don't really exist. there are to many teams

I actually like the Canadians and would much rather watch (and watch the leafs play) a team with some history and in a true hockey market .

rivalries are based on recent competition so I Bos and Ott are the real ones now

on a side note

In this day and age of sports there are very few true rivalries, if any. For a sport like hockey rivalry comes from history playing a team.

What if the NHL adopted an MLB style schedule. 3 and 2 game sets. 2 home 1 away or home and away.

This would also help cut down on traveling costs for teams.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not the Sens because I can't take them seriously. Perennial also-rans. Same with Buffalo. Boston on the other hand consistently embarrasses us. Boston AINEC.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Not gonna lie. I don't hate the Sens or the Habs or the Bruins or alot of the teams we're "supposed" to hate.

Same. I don't hate a team because I'm "supposed to".

I hate the penguins however. Hate hate hate them. I dislike sabres, and sort of the canucks and rangers.

LeafsFIO*

Absolutely hate hate hate Vancouver. Just the aura around them, nobody cares about them but they act like they have 17 archrivals. People talk about how media is too pro-Toronto, Vancouver whined and complained to the point that CBC became ridiculously pro-Vancouver. The media, fans, players, Vancouver is impossible to like.

Winnipeg's following in Vancouver's footsteps, hate hate hate them.

Love/hate w/Montreal. I hate them when we're playing them but I love their torch ceremony and the history around them. Really wanted them to beat Mickey Mouse Ottawa last year.

Hate the Sens cause I live here, but their inferiority complex and bankrupt team is too funny to have a full hate-on for.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
Hate Ottawa and Canucks.

Jets I was happy for to get a team back till they started acting like that. Now i'm not a fan.

I also don't like the caines because they inexplicably always beat us.

I like boston and am indifferent towards the sabres. Florida teams are just meh.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Canucks.

I found their fans surrounding the Luongo situation to be among the most annoying ive ever had discussions with. They were pretty condescending, saying if we wanted Luongo, we'd HAVE to cough up something like Kadri + Gardiner... Clearly they were very very far off in their evaluation.

Then add in the dirty / diving players theyve had over the last few years (Torres, Lapierre, Burrows, Kesler, etc), im not a huge fan of the Sedins, the riots after the SC final, etc.

I dont like to generalize against fanbases, because all fan bases have their fair share of good/bad fans.. But aspects of both their fans and their team have been annoying over the last little while.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I've cheered for the Habs a few times in the playoffs. Not really feeling it anymore, really liked watching Cams and Halak.

Don't like: Sens, Bruins, Sabres

Not a fan of: Nucks, Wings, Pens

Kyle Doobas*

Same as Pitt the Elder - every other Canadian team besides the Flames to a certain extent. It's mostly fan-related (obviously there are exceptions in all cases), but the Canucks and Habs have been pretty easy not to like based on their style of play as well. I've never been much of a fan of the Penguins either. Call it jealousy if you want, but something just irks me about how their entire team history is more or less based around being completely terrible at the right times and getting some of the best hockey players ever to carry them to championships. It's like having a friend win the lottery, watching him turn into an uppity ******, and just when he's about to get what's coming to him.... he wins the lottery again.

Also the Sabres. Formerly because of crybaby Lindy Ruff, latterly because of crybaby Ryan Miller and the idiots they employ now in Ron Rolston, John Scott, Patrick Kaleta, etc. In general there's just a sense that they lack respect for other teams, from Lindy's "no goal" speech to Rolston sending out Scott to beat up one of the league's top forwards in a pre-season game. Sending Kaleta to the minors seems to be a sign of things to come though, and they're putting together some pieces that could give them a solid core for the future, so who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad